Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2015, 06:21 PM

Question Kids first time from shore - Pine Coulee or Chain Lakes?

As the title asks, which of the two lakes would you recommend to take young kids (ages 4 and 7) fishing for their first time? I've been researching both, and it sounds like they each have something good to offer. But I'd love to give the girls their best chance for their first fish. And we're fishing from shore; don't have a boat. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Default Pine Coulee

First question is do you want to keep any fish. If yes then go to chain lakes for small stocked rainbow trout. If not, my vote would be Pine Coulee but its catch and release for Walleye. You can keep Pike and Ling cod though if you managed to catch one. The walleye there are quite easy to catch from shore. I just use a bell weight on the bottom with a snelled hook with a minnow on it about a foot up from the weight. Throw it out, try and prop the rod up on a rock or sticks, then real the line until its tight and puts a bit of a bend on the rod. Don't set the hook right away when you get a bite, wait a few seconds. I usually fish right in front of the parking lot on the north side of the bridge. I still remember both my kids first fish (My daughters was at Pine Coulee). Good luck and take lots of pictures.

One think to note if you have never caught a Walleye before. the dorsal fin on a Walleye has spikes. When you land one, the dorsal fin will be pointing straight up. Just slide your hand from the head towards the tail. This will fold the fin flat so that the spikes are not a problem.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:59 AM

Pine Coulee is pretty great for numbers, I think your kids would have a fantastic time there. I think a Walleye may be a little too heavy for a 4 year old's first fish, you'd probably have to give him/her a hand.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 PM

I took my daughter to Chain Lakes today, spin casting off the boat. She caught a 12' rainbow with a 5 of diamonds spoon, and we both had lots of bites. Lots of fish.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 PM

i grab walleye by the belly. fingers and hands are no where near the spines.

id go to pine coulee
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the info! A couple weeks back we hit up both Chain Lakes and Pine Coulee. Nothing at Chain, and the 4 year old caught her first fish at PCR. A nice sized walleye. I didn't have real minnows; just power bait. Observing everyone else, the real minnows waaaay outfished the man-made stuff! Next time salted minnows it is. Thanks again!