Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default Alberta Fishing License

After reading the the 2015 regulations, what a waste of money buying an Alberta fishing license is. Is our fishery really this depleted or is it that our ESRD have their heads buried so deep up their rears that there is no hope for sportsmen in Alberta?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

What exactly are you upset about? I did notice that Battle Lake no longer has walleye tags, and I'm sure some other lakes have less keep limits, but not buying your license can get you a nice fine if you do go out fishing.
Personally, I'm mostly catch and release, so esp. with the beautifull weather were having, I'm pretty happy.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Banned

I'm talking about having a possession limit the same as a one day catch limit, a 0 pike and a one walleye 45-55 for calling, one walleye over 43 for slave, just to name a few changes. I like to eat fish, especially pike and walleye. The pike and walleye fishing at both lakes is fantastic, there are many lakes in Alberta where the walleye fishing is fantastic, yet they keep the lakes closed for retention, creating greater pressure on the lakes that allowe retention, thus creating a need for tighter restrictions on these bodies of water.

I'm by no means a biologist, but wouldn't creating a slot size retention limit province wide equal out the fishing pressure and in turn help restore a balance to our fisheries?

For the Albertans who are non native and like to eat food that doesn't come from the supermarket, it is becoming a waste of money to support the ESRD in their failed lab experiments. Last time I dipped a line in lesser slave there sure didn't seem to be a lack of walleye. It seems they base their decisions on the number of anglers in a particular water body, rather than fish populations.

I could very well be way off on my take of the matter, but I still think it's a waste of money buying a license and supporting an obviously failing team.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm talking about having a possession limit the same as a one day catch limit, a 0 pike and a one walleye 45-55 for calling, one walleye over 43 for slave, just to name a few changes. I like to eat fish, especially pike and walleye. The pike and walleye fishing at both lakes is fantastic, there are many lakes in Alberta where the walleye fishing is fantastic, yet they keep the lakes closed for retention, creating greater pressure on the lakes that allowe retention, thus creating a need for tighter restrictions on these bodies of water.

I'm by no means a biologist, but wouldn't creating a slot size retention limit province wide equal out the fishing pressure and in turn help restore a balance to our fisheries?

For the Albertans who are non native and like to eat food that doesn't come from the supermarket, it is becoming a waste of money to support the ESRD in their failed lab experiments. Last time I dipped a line in lesser slave there sure didn't seem to be a lack of walleye. It seems they base their decisions on the number of anglers in a particular water body, rather than fish populations.

I could very well be way off on my take of the matter, but I still think it's a waste of money buying a license and supporting an obviously failing team.
last i checked slave has been 1 over 43cm for as long as i can remember. they did try one over 43c, and 1 under 43cm as well one year a few years ago.

so the fish population is good in slave, so you want to raise the limit so we can decimate the population again? good thing you are not a bio
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Don't buy a license and don't fish. More fish for me thanks.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Don't buy a license and don't fish. More fish for me thanks.
More fish for you? Lol, that's the exact mentality the ESRD has. Do you think the 20+/- fish I keep a year will affect your fishing? One net pulls out about 10yrs of my total retention.

There are walleye fisheries in Alberta with way higher numbers yet still have a 0 retention limit or are draw only. Keeping 95% of the lakes closed to retention is what is going to decimate the fish populations in the lakes that still allow retention.

When was slave's walleye population ever decimated? And was it because of sports fisherman???
Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Unrelated interesting fact. Lesser slave and touchwood once had a lake trout population..... I get what Kurt is saying. People who eat fish are being funnelled/herded to specific lakes. It's not the answer.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Unrelated interesting fact. Lesser slave and touchwood once had a lake trout population..... I get what Kurt is saying. People who eat fish are being funnelled/herded to specific lakes. It's not the answer.
I've been fishing Calling lake in particular for over 20yrs. The number of anglers on that lake has exploded because it is one of the few lakes that allows retention. 20yrs ago there were many lakes that were open to walleye fishing, now with so few lakes open its really put the pressure on. Next step will be a closer because the evil sportsman has fished out the lake.

Slot sizes work. Make the slot size hard, but not impossible to reach, and at least the herd will be spread province wide rather than at one lake. I'd rather go to lac ste anne or lac la none to try for a slot size to bring home, than to drive to calling or slave for one, BUT I cant. So calling and slave will continue to feel the pressure until they are shut down.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
last i checked slave has been 1 over 43cm for as long as i can remember. they did try one over 43c, and 1 under 43cm as well one year a few years ago.

so the fish population is good in slave, so you want to raise the limit so we can decimate the population again? good thing you are not a bio
When i lived in Slave Lake as a kid, walleye retention was 5 over 43cm. Pretty sure it was 5 pike any size as well. Dad didn't let many pike in the boat however.

Kurt, if you go to slave, get your one fish, then head downstream of the weir and get a 2nd and stop in at calling for a 3rd, then you're at your provincial limit. Take pictures though so you can prove you caught them all from different water bodies.

I usually hit the lesser slave river for one on my way to visit the old man, then get another from the south heart so we can have a meal. It's a PITA, specially when winter retention is 2 over 43 in Slave.

on a side note, they removed the slot on Bischto Lake so I'll be able to take home some good ones for the freezer. Heading up in a week. our 3rd cancelled last minute, so it's just me and pops for 4 days on, imo, the best fishery in the province. unless someone decides to come last minute.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM

I don't know what the answer is Kurt but your right that the current regime isn't working. Case after case of reactive instead proactive. Surely someone can see these issues coming. Pike, walleye, perch, Bull trout, burbot, grayling. I like fishing and I like eating fish but both are going the way of the dinosaur.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned

I do enjoy the odd fish fry, but I enjoy catching fish much more than eating them, so my "fish eating" when I do it, is reserved for my fishing in Sk.

For the price of a licence I get many more hours of enjoyment than say, playing a round of golf, that is about the same price and is only good for about 4 hours of fun.

I will never defend what the ESRD has done to our fisheries, but the blame must be focused on where it should be, our past government who has shown no, or very little commitment to sustaining our walleye fisheries. They absolutely will not commit money to our walleye fisheries, not for stocking or enforcement, both critical for rebuilding our fisheries.

I realize there are many priorities in our province that are more important, but fishing/camping should not be ignored as it also generates millions of dollars to the economy and is one of the most enjoyable family activities there are IMO.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:21 PM

Default In about 45 min. You'll know if this

Anti fishing movement in the provincial Govt will be changed ...

Hopefully Rachel has picked as the ESRD minister somebody

Who has a clue . First thing fire the half dozen or so biologists

That are causing all the problems . Start in Lethbridge .

Kurt you are right ....any poacher will tell you. There's plenty

Of fish ......and every year these asinine laws are in effect .....

The poaching numbers grow .
Old 05-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Bringing in a slot size would do wonders for the walleye fisheries in Alberta. Slave is one of they only places in North America you can easily catch 100+ walleye per angler in a day. Too bad they're all 2.5-3.0 lbs - overpopulation? Keeping a few per angler in the 15-19" range would cut down on the poaching and improve the gene pool.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Anti fishing movement in the provincial Govt will be changed ...

Hopefully Rachel has picked as the ESRD minister somebody

Who has a clue . First thing fire the half dozen or so biologists

That are causing all the problems . Start in Lethbridge .

Kurt you are right ....any poacher will tell you. There's plenty

Of fish ......and every year these asinine laws are in effect .....

The poaching numbers grow .
You have stated that the biologists are the problem in the south, I talked and worked a bit with quite a few in the Edmonton and northern part of the province, and most of them were pretty good. A couple openly admitted to me they knew what should be done but could not get the funds to do the work? What is the problem with the biologists down there?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
Bringing in a slot size would do wonders for the walleye fisheries in Alberta. Slave is one of they only places in North America you can easily catch 100+ walleye per angler in a day. Too bad they're all 2.5-3.0 lbs - overpopulation? Keeping a few per angler in the 15-19" range would cut down on the poaching and improve the gene pool.
That is the problem with many lakes in Alberta, walleye conditions have to be almost ideal for a successful spawn. When you are catching a 100/day and they are almost all the same size, there are many year classes missing, where the spawn was almost a total fail, which is why stocking is critical to sustaining our walleye fisheries.

Walleye in our province typically don't spawn until they are about 5+ years old, which is about the size you have listed. Removing many of them when they are just reaching spawning size, sort of eliminates the benefit of protecting them until they reach spawning age.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Banned

I don't know the answer, but I do know the current course of action is a lose/lose situation. I don't know how feasible hatcheries are, but perhaps a hatchery program province wide would be money well spent? Rather than donating our money to the government so they can waste it as they please, putting it towards something that will actually bennifit sportsmen would be money well spent? Seeings how we are the men and women who are funding this lab experiment, shouldn't we be able to shut the current mismanagement system down? It just keeps getting worse and worse, yet they stay on the same course????? It seems idiotic.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
That is the problem with many lakes in Alberta, walleye conditions have to be almost ideal for a successful spawn. When you are catching a 100/day and they are almost all the same size, there are many year classes missing, where the spawn was almost a total fail, which is why stocking is critical to sustaining our walleye fisheries.

Walleye in our province typically don't spawn until they are about 5+ years old, which is about the size you have listed. Removing many of them when they are just reaching spawning size, sort of eliminates the benefit of protecting them until they reach spawning age.
Why can you catch 100 walleye a day in lesser slave, for the last 20 plus years, and each year the fish are a couple pounds? What year class is missing if it's the same year after year after year? If the fish are always generally the same size each year it's almost as if they are stunting if anything.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
You should come down south ! I've had 100 fish days on Pine Coulee, McGregor,Traverse and Crawling Valley, all ZERO retention !! These lakes have been fishing like this for a long time to boot ! ESRD said when lakes become self sustainable they will open them up, all lies !!!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
You should come down south ! I've had 100 fish days on Pine Coulee, McGregor,Traverse and Crawling Valley, all ZERO retention !! These lakes have been fishing like this for a long time to boot ! ESRD said when lakes become self sustainable they will open them up, all lies !!!
Yet we keep buying licenses year after year while watching our fishing opertunities going down the toilet. Then when I question the system some people think I'm the idiot.

Good thing I'm not a biologist? Maybe too bad i'm not! I doubt I'd do a worse job!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Default Bad news just in ....

Another minister ,with no hunting or fishing experience ....
Status of women now part of ESRD ......wonder sheer the funds will go .

All is lost

Here she is ...

http://www.albertandp.ca/shannonphillips
Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Fishing licence is well worth the cost.

Ya like the government is withholding millions of fish from you or us just for fun or because they can!

Here we go again.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Fishing licence is well worth the cost.

Ya like the government is withholding millions of fish from you or us just for fun or because they can!

Here we go again.
This isn't about me, this is about Albertans fisheries. The Alberta government is doing an extremely terrible job at managing our fisheries. If you can't see that you're blind!!!

Not just because they can, but because they don't want to spend the money on sustaining our fisheries.

It's much easier, and cheaper, just to shut it down, rather than come up with a solution. They've got their fingers in their ears, eyes closed, and yelling la la la hoping that works for things to get better. If their grand plan of prohibition is working, why the hell are things still getting worse???!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Well they did get one thing right recently......any guesses?
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Banned

In 1985 there were over 343,000 licenses sold to Alberta residents and lots of fish for everyone, in 2005 there was just over 211,000 with strict retention laws and it's still not getting better. Am I to believe that their current plan will magically start to work? I Think the trial period has expired and it's time for a new plan!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
This isn't about me, this is about Albertans fisheries. The Alberta government is doing an extremely terrible job at managing our fisheries. If you can't see that you're blind!!!

Not just because they can, but because they don't want to spend the money on sustaining our fisheries.

It's much easier, and cheaper, just to shut it down, rather than come up with a solution. They've got their fingers in their ears, eyes closed, and yelling la la la hoping that works for things to get better. If their grand plan of prohibition is working, why the hell are things still getting worse???!!!
Things are getting worse because of the people that think they are doing a good job, same old story, too many people, not enough lakes, but with all these people buying licences why can't they afford to stock more fish if they think these lakes are vulnerable ? The fishery is run by idiots because people will agree with them. Any of the lakes they stock, they close ? What is the sense of this ? Prohibition is not working, it's just creating more poaching !!!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:

You live in edmonton(Big city), lots of people. Great fishing in Alberta where I live. Some things could use a little work though.
Not blind. And not doing that bad of a job with the money they have.
Nice thing about Canada is you are free to move any where you like.
My gawd, you cant really believe what you just said.

Like I said, here we go again.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why can you catch 100 walleye a day in lesser slave, for the last 20 plus years, and each year the fish are a couple pounds? What year class is missing if it's the same year after year after year? If the fish are always generally the same size each year it's almost as if they are stunting if anything.
Actually years back (15 or so) there were quite a few bigger and different size fish caught in Slave, especially in the spring. I am definitely no expert on Slave, or any other lake actually, but in many lakes you will have a very predominant size fish that is just under legal size, or on the smaller size of legal, and I sure a certain amount of stunting is a factor as well. South Buck is a good example of that, and I have fished that lake for quite a few years.

I do know a few years back they conducted a survey on the 4 most popular launches on Slave and determined that from opening weekend until the end of August there was approximately 500-520 boats fishing the lake almost every Saturday and Sunday, and on the additional day on a long weekend. You may also recall a major sting that was conducted on Slave years ago by F/W as poaching was rampant on this lake, there was a full page story about in the Journal.

The boat/angler survey was somewhat dependent on weather, and hours fished per boat varied, but that is a lot of boats fishing one body of water. I believe they also had an average number of anglers per boat listed but I can not remember what it was.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
You live in edmonton(Big city), lots of people. Great fishing in Alberta where I live. Some things could use a little work though.
Not blind. And not doing that bad of a job with the money they have.
Nice thing about Canada is you are free to move any where you like.
My gawd, you cant really believe what you just said.

Like I said, here we go again.
If you believe what you just wrote, it's just because you have no clue what a good management system can do. You think they are doing a good job with the money we pay for our licenses??? Imagine if the money actually went towards fish MANAGEMENT?

Im glad the fishing is good where you live, enjoy it while you can. With more prohibition you're going to see more unfamiliar faces in your favorite hole, it's just a matter of time. Then you're going to be singing a different tune
Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 PM

The money you pay for you fishing license goes to general revenue and if you think that some dude sitting behind a desk in Ottawa cares about a walleye lake in alberta your are mistaken...

Agreed the money needs to back into our fisheries but that is not what is happening...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Banned

Fish kept in 1985, over 11 million, fish kept in 2005, under 2 million.