Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Spray lake whites?

So ive finally talked myself into getting away from the K-country bulls and trying for some whites. Ive tried once for them out of spray but didnt have much luck and defiantly would like to get into them before the water opens up.

Im not looking for anyones secrets spot or secret setups. Just some tips or methods to try out. As far as ive been told 7- 15 foot of water seems to be the sweet spot and and wire worms and maggots seem to be the most popular.

Almost treat them like a perch? so i guesss my questions are, do they school like a perch? and maybe a method in looking and locating them? and possibly time of day they seem to be more active? Ive always seen guys out in the shallows at the north end of the lake by the damn so I think thats were ill start my plan of attack

Thanks for any help and pointers, hope everyones having a good season so far

Last edited by Dukewild; 02-16-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM

i was out at the RDR fishing for them and they were most active at morning and were close to shore. id start off at 7 FOW in the morning and as the day goes on id move more out. they take a shie to red but i wouldnt use it over 14FOW cause it disapears. i like to use size 22 chartuse or orange egg patterns with a small split shot and they dont realy hit hard like a lake whitefish try fishing for them at the RDR study them and see what they like then go out my 2 cents worth
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM

ya thats what ive heard so far, that and smaller wire worms seem to be popular. Not to sure what RDR is but ill have to look into it. Do you find the lake whites are easy to pursue over the rockies? IM heading out tomorow morning, i might have to consider RDR
Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM

RDR=red deer river. in fall i think the rocky mouatin whitefish are easer in the fall in rivers RDR anyways but all aroun lake whitefish are easyer for me cause they sometimes charge the bait instead of just going at it on the drift. they bite good at first light till about 10pm then it kinda slows down but they still bite just not as aggresive
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM

That would make sense, I had a feeling it was Red Deer something.

I think Ill stick to spray for tomorow and see how things go there. Ill start in the shallows at the north end and go from there. Haha atleast if things turn out slow Kananaskis is only down the road
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM

start at spray first spray lakes is a early bitting lake only