Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Default My first captured videos from my Marcum color 625 camera

Don't laugh people! I think I need more practice and a better laptop. Not sure why it's choppy in places. Also ran out of HDD space quickly. I guess I have to do more recording.

Here is a video of burnstick perch. They are everywhere. This is mid day finicky perch, tough to get bites in the tent. Go outside 15 feet away, and constant action LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXR3PGVK3o

One when I dropped down a spoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYfKcdZI3Vk

Pike. Not really interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHVB7XAuKHk
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM

Cool video, now I understand more what was happening at Burnstick on Sun. We would mark tons of fish on the flasher from 18-25 feet. Most of them would follow our bait up as we jig but very reluctant to bite. Most of the time it would be nibbles. I varied my technique a lot and it seems most of the nibbles and bites would occur about 6 inches off the bottom held still after it first drops down.

I had a period of 5-10 minutes where it was crazy and the perch would hit a little tunsten jig with maggots. Gringo had good success with mealworms for a while and then it got slow.

I hope Marcum isn't slow with fixing my camera, I barely used it and I miss it already. Did you hook up the video out directly to a capture card on the laptop? It looks like you used a really high compression codec to make the video smaller, it looks ok but some parts are pretty blocky, if you can use H.264 or x.264.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Aren't those cameras awesome. That was great footage. How did you record? Directly to your laptop? I might have a line on some handheld recorders instead of luggimg a laptop out on the ice.
I just upgraded from a fishtv 7 to the marcum vs380. Got the old one in the buy sell section.
That color camera is awesome. Might have to upgrade again next year.

Great posts.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Nice

Nice video Chris. As Will said above we had the same not interested or light biting perch too. Went like crazy at times and others they would light nibble the bait off the hook. No shortage of fish in there it is just a matter of catching them. We still caught a bunch but would have been a perchfest if all the ones wee saw on the flasher and played with our baits got to the surface.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 AM

And this lake has only 5 perch limit? Just a friendly suggestion - try more aggressive and faster jigging technique and use one jig only. Two never work as good as one.
You may have seen his video already... check last perch starting at 1:40 - that's how you would like your jig to work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMYIdOkSTM
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Cool video stang. Looks like you had a good time even if the fish were being reluctant.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Very cool! I can just imagine some of the action you're gonna catch on video. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
And this lake has only 5 perch limit? Just a friendly suggestion - try more aggressive and faster jigging technique and use one jig only. Two never work as good as one.
You may have seen his video already... check last perch starting at 1:40 - that's how you would like your jig to work

We actually caught 180+ fish that day so I didn't have a problem, 89 caught myself. DOn't know if they were just camera shy or if that school wasn't biting then. It was mid-day. Like I said, if you went out of the tent and tried another hole, it was non stop action for while, then you had to jump to another hole. Typical perch fishing IMO.

Don't use two hooks? Then how would I catch 2 at time? I did this 4 times.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
We actually caught 180+ fish that day so I didn't have a problem, 89 caught myself. DOn't know if they were just camera shy or if that school wasn't biting then. It was mid-day. Like I said, if you went out of the tent and tried another hole, it was non stop action for while, then you had to jump to another hole. Typical perch fishing IMO.

Don't use two hooks? Then how would I catch 2 at time? I did this 4 times.
well, when they are active two hooks, bait, line size, technique, rod, etc.etc. will not make a huge difference, but when they go through period of inactivity single hook, tiny jig, smallest line possible and proper technique will make a difference.
So 180 caught? Nice! Again can somebody explain to me why there is 5 perch limit here?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
well, when they are active two hooks, bait, line size, technique, rod, etc.etc. will not make a huge difference, but when they go through period of inactivity single hook, tiny jig, smallest line possible and proper technique will make a difference.
So 180 caught? Nice! Again can somebody explain to me why there is 5 perch limit here?
Do a search on threads. Lots of people can't catch any fish or very few. The SRD can't manage their coffee fund let alone a lake. Tell me why the heck this place isn't restocked with walleye....it is beyond me. Tons of food to eat and natural spawning areas...sigh.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Nice video! how far away do you put your camera?.....and thanks for not adding any annoying music in the background...those vids make it nearly impossible to sit through.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

The video was good. still in shock at the 4 double headers you got. their might be valid points to the one hook theory. My second rod was rigged with a forage minnow tipped with various types of baits and at time it seemed like that was the ticket for me but to be honest i really dont think it mattered. When i was hole jumping i just brought both rods with me and if one didnt work the other usually did. Stang was the only one counting his catch. we didnt come close to his totals but we didnt keep track.

I would love to see alberta stock walleyes not only in this lake but in several others. heck, if they could stock walleye in more than one lake every year, that would be fantastic
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM

By the way, I was using the new marcum 625 SD. I got it from Cabelas.ca. I am using THIS CAPTURE DEVICE hooked via USB to my laptop. There is a composite cable output from the screen that I can plug into the capture device. There is software that comes with it but I'm not sure if I like it yet. Having a handheld recorder would be great but I don't want to spend too much money on this. Tough to worry about a laptop and try to catch fish.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

I just got my 625 as well, but it came with a flawed screen - kind of a bummer. It is going back after the Newell Derby this weekend.

I have found that jacks don't mind the camera at all but perch have typcially been spooked or made more nervous (if that is really the best way to describe it) when it was down. I had the same results as you did - nothing in the tent but walk outside and bang. I kept the camera out of the water and suddenly they were hitting in the tent. Then I put the camera back down and nothing.

Nonetheless, good job on the video.

Cheers.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Yeah possibly...plus we had to have two camera down because Braun seems to not be able to fish without it
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

ya ok. I like seein my own lure. but the other thing is that the cameras were down in the same position all day. I could see them being skiddish for the first while. but aftwer 5+ hour of the camera being down there and not moving you would think it wouldnt be an issue. unless it emits some form of sound they pick up on.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I tried that exact technique at Burnstick with my Marmish as I watched a russian do the same technique at Sundance and it was not working consistently. I didn't have a camera to watch my jig but other than a brief 10 minute spell of constant fish it was tough getting them to bite. I tried many different holes and all the perch behaved the same. They definitely would follow the jig but never would bite until it was more still.

I did well with a little apple seed jig at first then switched up to a mini gold tunsten jig tipped with maggots. I didn't try the apple seed without a maggot though.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
I just got my 625 as well, but it came with a flawed screen - kind of a bummer. It is going back after the Newell Derby this weekend.
There must have been a big batch of bad units (other than Mustang's) as I don't think you're the only one with issues. My first one didn't work out of the box with the screen adjustments and luckily Fishin Hole had another in stock and happily exchanged it as it was only 2 weeks. Then the second one completely died after a week and wouldn't turn on but Fishin Hole didn't have another in stock so I had to ship it back to Marcum. I hope it's just really bad luck and not bad quality.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM

I think the first batch were good (which is what I got), after that not so much.

Also, we were only getting our hits on a still presentation. If you moved it, no bites.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Man I hope that is not the case. Other than the screen, it worked perfectly. And to be honest, when the screen was on color, the bubbling in the screen was hardly noticeable. However, when I switched the color off at sunset, you could really see it. Quite distracting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marcum screen.JPG (84.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM

nicemustang was polite enough to pm me to give me the heads up that it appears that the screen cover was left on and that could be the cause of the bubbling. Man would I be embarrassed.

There is no protective screen cover on this - the bubbles are behind the screen.

What little hair I have isn't blonde. . .

Thanks for the pm heads up though nicemustang. And the tip on the capture unit!

Cheers.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM

HAHA...well I wanted to make sure...and did i through PM just in case it would be embarassing LOL. I know mine had a cover on it that was tough to get off originally.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Those were cool videos. Fishing sure has jumped on the technolgy bandwagon in the last couple years. Who knows what they will come up with ten years from now. Anyway good job on the videos. Hope you share more later.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

cool vids stang. thanks for taking the time to post. anyone ever count the bars on perch to estimate the length when viewing on a the underwater cams?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM

hey mustang i noticed out at cow lake when therye all clusterd togther they dont bite and it makes them look bigger to try and get the pike back away from them. when there all spread out so you can only see a few i doo much better luck it means the school isnt stressed
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Nice fish!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM

It would seem that Marcum ships as many in as they ship out. Just bring em back, make em look like new again, in new packaging, and ship em back out?? I have one on the way right now from them due to crap battery and bunk seals in the camera rendering it water logged now. But the guy on the phone at Marcum was more than happy to ship me a "new" one...Really makes me wonder
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
Man I hope that is not the case. Other than the screen, it worked perfectly. And to be honest, when the screen was on color, the bubbling in the screen was hardly noticeable. However, when I switched the color off at sunset, you could really see it. Quite distracting.
About the bubbling, did you see a jack down there blowing in your camera??
Happens all the time
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Awesome videos stang!!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Cool vids !!! When the Perch bite slows down I use a small jig and slam the bottom with it. It seems the more dirt I stir up the more the Perch move in to bite. Not that your day was slow but for the others who mark fish but are not getting any bites.

My $0.02 worth.

Again, nice vids.

Dodger.