Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Banned

Default first open water fish for me 2013 (lake)

took a drive today to one of my favorite trout lakes and found it almost ice free. was a beautifull morning but the wind picked up bad in the afternoon which made things interesting in my little canoe (water bug) and my 15 year old minkota. it was very slow as fish are in spawn mode but i managed a pre spawn 19" heavyweight (3and a half pounds)

learned something today that all you veterans already know. fellow angler showed me how to look for "fish nests". those big stocked girls actually dig and wiggle the mud down to the gravel and deposit their eggs. looks like an underwater nest that you can spot as you cruise the shoreline. then the males come and eat the eggs and keep returning for scraps. nothing more frustrating than watching these trout (some were monsters) at your feet all day long and they won't bite anything you present. think i'll make some row bags from the one i caught.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m7.jpg (118.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Congrats!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Is this lake in the foothills or mountians?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
took a drive today to one of my favorite trout lakes and found it almost ice free. was a beautifull morning but the wind picked up bad in the afternoon which made things interesting in my little canoe (water bug) and my 15 year old minkota. it was very slow as fish are in spawn mode but i managed a pre spawn 19" heavyweight (3and a half pounds)

learned something today that all you veterans already know. fellow angler showed me how to look for "fish nests". those big stocked girls actually dig and wiggle the mud down to the gravel and deposit their eggs. looks like an underwater nest that you can spot as you cruise the shoreline. then the males come and eat the eggs and keep returning for scraps. nothing more frustrating than watching these trout (some were monsters) at your feet all day long and they won't bite anything you present. think i'll make some row bags from the one i caught.
Glad to see you did well, and yep lots of bigones in that lake, will be fishing it for most of the summer. June is the best time to catch a monster (12lb) rainbow out of there as well as some of the browns.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

right on bud thats a nice trout