Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Default Kakut Lake Fish Pond

Has anyone in the Grande Prairie area try icefishing this lake this year? If so how did you make out?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM

I live 6km from Kakut. I havent fished there this winter but people were catching perch and some rainbows. The rainbows are generally from last summers stocking, but the odd one makes it more than a year, and there has been 3-4lb'ers caught. The perch are mostly tiny, but last winter there was a 13.5" pulled out. With all the snow cover this year and the poor aeration I would imagine that lake may be winter killed by now, hard to say.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Hey Homestead, Thanks for the info. I'm going to go check it out on thye weekend with my daughter. I have been there before in the Fall during hunting season, but i have never fished it. I think it would be a great place to take my 4 year old. If you are around on Saturday come bye for a coffee
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM

How did it go? We went out for a bit this last Sunday, tons of tiny perch and a couple small rainbows. Its kind of unfortunate that the perch are taking over but on the other hand its a blast for the kids.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Morning,
Are the perch big enough to keep the kids interested? We used to fish Cummings all the time, but they decided against aerating it, so it has been dead this winter. Have to try out Kakut this coming weekend if this storm breaks.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Yeah, Homequest. Was out there on Saturday morning with a buddy and his daughter. We caught about 12 Perch and about 12 small rainbows, the fishing was a lot better than i expected. There was some old boy out there as well who said he fishes there all the time and lives close bye, he was having no problems slaying the fish, looks like he knew what he was doing.

I'm going to head out again this long weekend, at least a couple of times.

I love perch. Yum