Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM

Default Bobber stops?

Just wondering what you all use for bobber stops? I've always used sort of a modified uni knot (wrapped around line before knot is tied) of either braid or mono, and a bead. But with big pike sized bobbers, baits and sinkers involved I'm having trouble with the knot slipping when I make a hard cast, that big bait has a lot of momentum, and that big bobber hits the stop hard during the cast. Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:46 PM

How handy and patient are you?

I got tired of trying to buy stops when season was on, so I cut thin strips of plastic from packaging and yogurt containers, then I got a pin hot and poked 4 holes in each. I cut them off the strip and used nail clippers to shape the ends to slide through the guides easily.

Next was the threading on the main line and a small red bead as a stopper.

There, now you can go make a bunch up yourself. That Uni knot idea is tough when it starts to slip on mono.

Drewski
Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM

I just use heavy mono. How's the ice comin out there Drew?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 AM

I'm very happy with these little rubber stoppers that you can buy from Cabalas or amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/600pcs-Fishing...y&sr=8-1-spell
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
I'm very happy with these little rubber stoppers that you can buy from Cabalas or amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/600pcs-Fishing...y&sr=8-1-spell
Do you find that these stoppers slide around on your line at all?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 AM

You could use two uni Knots on your line. Both tight leave the ends long so you can retighten as needed. Should help.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
You could use two uni Knots on your line. Both tight leave the ends long so you can retighten as needed. Should help.
The reason I asked about slippage is that I normally like the ability to move the bobber stop depending on depth, but that's harder if you're tying knots. I've never found a good solution - you're either tying knots or you have to accept that the stop is probably slipping around a bit. Curious what everyone else does.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
Do you find that these stoppers slide around on your line at all?
No problem with slipping but I don't use very large bobbers. I've been using them for a long time and would never go back to tying thread or other elastics on the line. They are cheep and If you find that one is slipping you can always add another one.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 PM

http://www.101knots.com/bobber-stop-knot.html

I tie them on a straw similar to how they come if you buy them. I try to find the little coffee stir sticks instead of a normal straw but either will work. I find the stir sticks work a better when you slid it onto your line.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM

I use one of the strands from the plastic skirt off of a buzz bait, spinner bait etc.

You can pluck one of the strands off the skirt, do a double loop and tie off. They can be slid up or down the line with ease and I usually have one or two kicking around in one of the many tackle boxes I have.

They will break if the material is too old, but cheap and easy to use, carry etc. They reel up easy and find they don't impact my casts.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Yeah, I leave tags on mine. With the pre-knot wrap around and the long tags, if I re-tighten every cast or two it usually is ok.

Just so every one is clear, this does work very well with a normal walleye or trout rig up. When you fire a 8" herring and a 1 oz weight at the horizon, and 7" long balsa wood cigar float slams into that knot... this is where I have problems and this is what I need a solution for.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Find some very small surgical tube (1/8" or smaller). Cut a 1/8" to 3/16" long piece. Run your line through twice. Pull tight. The result is a soft football shaped bobber stop that slides through rod eyes quite well, doesn't slip and can be lubed with a little bit of saliva and moved easily.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
These things are great. TFH also carries them. When you see them pick up extra as they leave the store very fast.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM

So lots of good ideas here.

For just regular wally / reservoir fishing I have been trying a new product Can. Tire McLeod trial is bringing in. It's your basic "string" on a small tube stopper but the string is a heavier gauge. I have been leaving the tag ends at about 1/2 cut ( for retightening etc.) but the heavier gauge string seems to hold a little better, the bead will not slip over, and it stays in place just a little bit better.

I have also learned to sortta give a little "tension easing" when the stopper is going thru the guides, that seems to eliminate the "reset the depth" issue if the string slips. I hate having to reset the depth when the gkids are outfishing me with more time in the zone!!
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM

I agree the rubber stops work the best, they come on a neat little key chain thing pre-loaded onto a looped wire, super easy to apply and head ache free. I buy tons when they are available.

I bet you could make your own with some shrinking rubber tube of a certain size and some fine gauge wire, just feed it back through the same end of the rubber and shrink it down so when you feed it onto your mono its snug.

I dont have the most steady hands to start with and add in some wind or a rocking boat and fiddling with the little strings on the pre-tied knot tubes with string is just too much for me.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 AM

I use the smallest rubber ones on the wire.
Put the stopper on and then a small bead then the float.
The only problem I have is sliding the stopper to the proper depth.
The line must be WET for it to slide without burning the stopper from friction.