Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’m going to just say this, if by chance it comes to the point where my family is not given the opportunity to hunt on public land, I won’t be calling the fish and wildlife if I happen across a dead moose on my private land. I’m pretty sure most Albertans who hunt today that own land and don’t have the lineage for rights will feel the same way. When it comes to that point, I guess he who owns the most land can put up the most “keep out” and “no trespassing” signs. People can’t report what they don’t see. There still is laws in place preventing unrestricted harvest on private land.
505 you and your family are welcome at my place if this happens in the years to come
Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So have you personally been told where you have to live, where you have to go to school, and what you have to do for a living? Have your children? Or do you and your children have the freedom to live where you please, go to school where you please, and work while you please? We can't change the past, but if we keep trying to live in the past, we can never move forward to better our lives. We can't all be equal, unless we all want to be equal, and equal means the same laws applying to everyone.
Without putting words in R3's mouth, I think what he's saying is we've been wards of the state every since the arrival of the British, couldn't take a damn **** without permission, couldn't vote till 1960, women losing their Rights because they married a non treaty, our veterans coming back from war who fought and died for this country getting treated differently then their Caucasian brothers that they fought beside. We aren't even allowed to care for our damn children because the government thinks it can do better...….the list goes on and on.

You want us to park our rights because some feel they're outdated. If you want to carry out that same sentiment, go tell a farmer he has to hitch his plow to a mule; tell the forester he has to use a sweet saw and axe to fell trees, tell the oil companies to go back to using shovels.....and so on.

The Treaties did not grant the Indian any Rights, it merely acknowledged what has been practised long before the arrival of the new people.

The common argument advanced by most is "get over it"...….go tell the Jewish people to get over their holocaust, you'll be thrown in jail.

The equality that is being sought here is self serving...…..there is no one on this board that can guarantee me equality if all you're going to base it on is the colour of my skin.

I will reiterate if the crown and its big game managers feel wild life populations are in peril, they have the tools right now to conserve, Treaty Rights or no Treaty Rights....check with them or take the argument up with them.

On a positive note, if the situation is as dire as its being made out to be, in due course everyone might need a permit or license to be out on the land.

On that note...….Happy Spring Break, hug your kids and your grand kids.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaerzen View Post
Come talk to me about "racial comments" when you get the snot kicked out of you by both whites and cree for not fitting in.
Lol, we’ll i guess it made a man out of you, and from the sounds of it a successful one at that.

I grew up in fort McMurray in the 70’s and 80’s. There was a fairly high population of both Treaty and Metis people. They went to the same schools as I did, lived in the same neighborhoods and worked at the same plants as everyone else. Sure I had my fights, but I have never gotten into a fight over race.

I’m not sure where or when you grew up but from your previous post you seem to still hold feelings of resentment towards non metis people.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Without putting words in R3's mouth, I think what he's saying is we've been wards of the state every since the arrival of the British, couldn't take a damn **** without permission, couldn't vote till 1960, women losing their Rights because they married a non treaty, our veterans coming back from war who fought and died for this country getting treated differently then their Caucasian brothers that they fought beside. We aren't even allowed to care for our damn children because the government thinks it can do better...….the list goes on and on.

You want us to park our rights because some feel they're outdated. If you want to carry out that same sentiment, go tell a farmer he has to hitch his plow to a mule; tell the forester he has to use a sweet saw and axe to fell trees, tell the oil companies to go back to using shovels.....and so on.

The Treaties did not grant the Indian any Rights, it merely acknowledged what has been practised long before the arrival of the new people.

The common argument advanced by most is "get over it"...….go tell the Jewish people to get over their holocaust, you'll be thrown in jail.

The equality that is being sought here is self serving...…..there is no one on this board that can guarantee me equality if all you're going to base it on is the colour of my skin.

I will reiterate if the crown and its big game managers feel wild life populations are in peril, they have the tools right now to conserve, Treaty Rights or no Treaty Rights....check with them or take the argument up with them.

On a positive note, if the situation is as dire as its being made out to be, in due course everyone might need a permit or license to be out on the land.

You never answered my questions, you simply avoided them, and instead jumped up on your soap box and ranted on about the past mistreatment of your ancestors. How many of those things you ranted on about actually happened to you or your children? The Jewish people don't go on and on complaining every day about the holocaust, they moved on, just like the Japanese people did after being interned during the second world war. And by moving on, they built themselves better lives, and they don't need, or ask for special treatment.

Most importantly, how does ranting on about the past help to control our game populations? And that is the issue here, it doesn't matter who harvests them, they still die, and it still effects the population if there is an overharvest.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
what a winner you are there is no need for that
You're right. I have a pretty bad tone - I'm sorry to the previous poster I quoted. I've read through most of these comments, and it's been mostly civil. So, sorry for that.

Does everyone here really believe we are going to lose all our fauna to over-harvesting and nothing will be done to prevent that?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:

No one is saying they don't want you to lose your traditions,they are saying hunt in your traditional ways ,your not living in a teepee and neither am I,i am FN to the core and could go get my card tomorrow,but for what my great grandfather who worked like dog to better his son and his grandson was my father who never once asked no one for anything,

So for the respect of my father I couldn't change that pattern ,my tradition and native believes are carved into stone in my heart and no pen or paper or human can change this .The rest is up for me to do and not pass the buck back 400 years ago.

I have bought my tags for near 50 years even non res tags where I hunted to give thanks for FW for giving me the best times of my life.

The well will one day be dry for all hunters no matter your color or where you came from and yes the ones that were here before the boats arrived things are changing fast,no one is saying that things were done correctly for FN people.
Every one has to evolve together as one ,not separate groups because lotsa great people including first nations strive hard to get this stigmata of there back.

One day soon we will as past immigrants and first nations be the minority in this country .So going forward bought sides have to reach common ground and leave the past behind and think of all helping each other in order to save what will be left for as long as this country can survive.Going back and forth over hunting rights just divides us more and if metis or FN or the rest of Canadians keep this up nothing will be accomplished .

It's time we get proper leaders on both sides to do what's right for everyone,instead of just danm votes and false promises to all natives and other Canadian and get this great nation back on it's feet.If that does happen there will be nothing for both sides.Those promises made decades ago were just lies no different than today,so please don't buy this scam.

All the best to all .

JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-22-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Can’t beat em join em! Free for all Boys!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
505 you and your family are welcome at my place if this happens in the years to come
Thank you JDK71!

I have some moose and the odd elk for you!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM

Well said JD.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
No one is saying they don't want you to lose your traditions,they are saying hunt in your traditional ways ,your not living in a teepee and neither am I,i am FN to the core and could go get my card tomorrow,but for what my great grandfather who worked like dog to better his son and his grandson was my father who never once asked no one for anything,

So for the respect of my father I couldn't change that pattern ,my tradition and native believes are carved into stone in my heart and no pen or paper or human can change this .The rest is up for me to do and not pass the buck back 400 years ago.

I have bought my tags for near 50 years even non res tags where I hunted to give thanks for FW for giving me the best times of my life.

The well will one day be dry for all hunters no matter your color or where you came from and yes the ones that were here before the boats arrived things are changing fast,no one is saying that things were done correctly for FN people.
Every one has to evolve together as one ,not separate groups because lotsa great people including first nations strive hard to get this stigmata of there back.

One day soon we will as past immigrants and first nations be the minority in this country .So going forward bought sides have to reach common ground and leave the past behind and think of all helping each other in order to save what will be left for as long as this country can survive.Going back and forth over hunting rights just divides us more and if metis or FN or the rest of Canadians keep this up nothing will be accomplished .

It's time we get proper leaders on both sides to do what's right for everyone,instead of just danm votes and false promises to all natives and other Canadian and get this great nation back on it's feet.If that does happen there will be nothing for both sides.Those promises made decades ago were just lies no different than today,so please don't buy this scam.

All the best to all .

JD
If everyone followed your example, the world would be a better place, not just concerning hunting, but life in general.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 PM

The thread is called Metis Info. Well here is some Metis Info about tomorrow, March 23. Across the province get out and enjoy.

http://albertametis.com/alberta-metis-fest/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If everyone followed your example, the world would be a better place, not just concerning hunting, but life in general.
I just try to be as honest as I can,my grammar sucks.but my heart I believe is in the right place.Thanks ELK for the nice reply.

Best to ALL

JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 PM
Banned

Great post jd. Much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 PM

JD is a fine man. I have the highest degree of respect for him. BTW, couldn't give a rat's arse about the color of his skin, it's the character of the man under it that makes him who he is. Skin color is just pigment. Character is forged in the fires of life. JD has character in spades.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 PM

My skin is white and my eyes are blue,the only one of six boys in my family my 5 brothers are all much darker,when I was born my father stormed out the hospital saying I wasn't his and the milk man made me,years later he ate them words let me tell you,turned out I looked just like his older brother.HAHA

There's some very good folks on this site and I meet knew ones steady,we need change in this country and we all have to get along and find a way to get it done right,things are changing to fast for the worst.

Cheers to all

JD
Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 AM

Well said JD.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-23-2019, 06:15 AM

Does anybody here know if Shannon Phillips is a metis?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Does anybody here know if Shannon Phillips is a metis?
Curious as well, someone suggested to me that she was but I don’t know for sure.

LC
Old 03-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaerzen View Post
You're right. I have a pretty bad tone - I'm sorry to the previous poster I quoted. I've read through most of these comments, and it's been mostly civil. So, sorry for that.

Does everyone here really believe we are going to lose all our fauna to over-harvesting and nothing will be done to prevent that?
Apparently the AFGA thinks so.

https://everythinggp.com/2019/03/21/...e-association/

And as far as JD goes, him and I do a lot of chatting behind the scenes, we seem to agree on pretty much everything that matters. Another great post JD, your grammar.... well....
Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Regarding your first point, the difference might be that anyone can decide to be a farmer, forester, or work for an oil company so one and all can partake of new technologies. One and all can't decide to hunt 365 days a year, with modern technology.

Regarding your second point, are we talking Indians, (your term), or Metis because I thought they were separate entities and that the NEW people you refer to had something to do with the Metis coming to be. If so why can't my Scottish, English, or French ancestry share in some of this ancestral acknowledgement and the perks that go along with if we're 50% cofounders?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Default Métis info

JD, I too am a member of the Métis Nation of Alberta. I have been buying my hunting licenses, and putting in for my draws for 45 years now, and will continue to do so just like all my fellow hunters. I’m proud of my heritage, but in these modern times where I have a good paying job, and drive a new truck, etc. I personnally don’t see the need to take advantage of new laws or agreements that would allow me to do otherwise. I would hope that my hunting dollars are going to the betterment of our resources. We all want to enjoys our outdoors, and should try to help one another instead of critizing, and finger pointing. What good does that do? With population increase, habitat loss, and any number of other pressures on our resources, it’s an unfortunate fact that we will continue to see the diminisment of our wild places and the wildlife that live there. Let’s enjoy this gift as long as we can, and without the negative aspects that many people seem to want to dump on it. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Banned

Honestly I’d like to see the return of the buffalo to our reserves
It works really well in the states
Build the herds up to sustainable numbers then you have animals for food, ceremonies and even a source of income.
It would take a huge amount of pressure off of our wildlife
The need for unregulated harvesting of wild ungulates could be almost eliminated
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:

This might be the stupidest analogy I've ever seen. Ever.
Just proves that you really don't understand what you're even arguing for. Greed is your motivation, not tradition.
(and I'd be very surprised to learn that any oil wells were ever dug with shovels in the past lololol)

It's really too bad that more members of the "nation" don't have the same attitude as trigger7mm and JD848. My hat's off to you two. Mb-MBR you could really learn something from guys like them.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
JD, I too am a member of the Métis Nation of Alberta. I have been buying my hunting licenses, and putting in for my draws for 45 years now, and will continue to do so just like all my fellow hunters. I’m proud of my heritage, but in these modern times where I have a good paying job, and drive a new truck, etc. I personnally don’t see the need to take advantage of new laws or agreements that would allow me to do otherwise. I would hope that my hunting dollars are going to the betterment of our resources. We all want to enjoys our outdoors, and should try to help one another instead of critizing, and finger pointing. What good does that do? With population increase, habitat loss, and any number of other pressures on our resources, it’s an unfortunate fact that we will continue to see the diminisment of our wild places and the wildlife that live there. Let’s enjoy this gift as long as we can, and without the negative aspects that many people seem to want to dump on it. Have a great weekend everyone!

Arent you proving that things won't be changing as much as some may think?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Arent you proving that things won't be changing as much as some may think?
My interpretation is Trigger7mm is a proud Metis who would has made his own way instead of looking for special treatment. It also appears that he can see the value in our conservation system and would rather apply for draws and buy tags like everyone else. It also seems like his focus is on maintaining wildlife for generations to come instead of taking all he wants for himself.
Looks like he also thinks we should act as ONE group and fight the battles at hand. He also thinks we should enjoy our weekend.
Like I said, just my interpretation, could be way off.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
This might be the stupidest analogy I've ever seen. Ever.
Just proves that you really don't understand what you're even arguing for. Greed is your motivation, not tradition.
(and I'd be very surprised to learn that any oil wells were ever dug with shovels in the past lololol)

It's really too bad that more members of the "nation" don't have the same attitude as trigger7mm and JD848. My hat's off to you two. Mb-MBR you could really learn something from guys like them.
X2. Wow.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Another impressive post, and another poster that is setting a great example for the metis people.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM

Some really insightful posts from some of our FN and Metis members who really understand what some of us are trying to get at.

It's not about race or rights. It's about our wildlife and maintaining that for our future generations.

My hat is off to these guys.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
My interpretation is Trigger7mm is a proud Metis who would has made his own way instead of looking for special treatment. It also appears that he can see the value in our conservation system and would rather apply for draws and buy tags like everyone else. It also seems like his focus is on maintaining wildlife for generations to come instead of taking all he wants for himself.
Looks like he also thinks we should act as ONE group and fight the battles at hand. He also thinks we should enjoy our weekend.
Like I said, just my interpretation, could be way off.
What hes actually showing all the people with their narrow vision pre determined stereo types is that not much will change...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
What hes actually showing all the people with their narrow vision pre determined stereo types is that not much will change...
Not much will change for the people who don't want to take advantage of these 'rights'. Not much will change for responsible FN/Metis outdoorsman.