Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Default What weight rod for Bulls / Pike? 7/8?

I'm looking to try more streamer fishing this year and wonder what you all favour as your go to rod for streamers. I'm leaning toward a 7wt but not sure if this would be too light?

The rod would normally used on trout water, perhaps some Pike on days where I can't make a far trip out of the city.

I currently own a 4 wt and as much as I love it, it's a pain to fish larger streamers with, obviously.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 PM

7 will do for most clousers and bow river buggers and the like, but if you plan on fishing huge heavy 8" streamers like I do then go 8 or 9.

7 would also be a tad light for decent sized pike.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 PM

A fast action 7wt would definitely do the job for most streamers. If you use insane 20cm long streamers then maybe an 8 would be better. 7wt would be on the light side for 80cm pike, but if you buy a good rod and use heavy line, you can lean into the fish and work it in faster.
Regardless if you choose 7 or 8, fast action would be my recommendation would be the Loop Evotec cast which is not too bad on the wallet either for a high quality rod. Loop makes a great rod. Others will say different though.
Just my opinion, and good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 PM

What other weight rods do you own?

If you have a 5wt then go 7wt and 9wt.

If you have a 4wt then go 6wt and 8wt.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
7 will do for most clousers and bow river buggers and the like, but if you plan on fishing huge heavy 8" streamers like I do then go 8 or 9.

7 would also be a tad light for decent sized pike.
This fellow has it right. My pick would be the eight as a seven would sq-eek by with that big streamer until you factor in any wind. Don't worry about the size of the fish much as it will matter very little with the pike or bullies with seven wt and over. You will enjoy any fly fishing more being equipped with a slightly heavier weight rod than a lighter one. You can alter your set up for a lighter fly with a heavier rod but not with a heavy large fly with a light rod. If you do get in a spot where you need to cast a bigger fly and you are having trouble the first and best thing you can do is to shorten the leader and tippet to pick up the line speed.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 AM

A not on brands, Loop and the like are very nice rods but if you're like me and can't afford them then the fish don't care. I use Redington and Fenwick and have caught just as many big fish on them as I have on my custom Batson and my orvis. I also know a fella who religiously fishes Echo and is one of the top placing competition anglers in the west

Old 03-16-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -carson- View Post
I'm looking to try more streamer fishing this year and wonder what you all favour as your go to rod for streamers. I'm leaning toward a 7wt but not sure if this would be too light?

The rod would normally used on trout water, perhaps some Pike on days where I can't make a far trip out of the city.

I currently own a 4 wt and as much as I love it, it's a pain to fish larger streamers with, obviously.
I have caught many species of fish, but bull trout have eluded me. However, I went on pike intensive this summer. I used a 6wt and an 8wt. Now, I would not consider fishing for pike with anything less than an 8wt unless times were desperate (9 and 10 wt were better).

Besides, if the unfortunate should ever fall on you, with an 8wt, you have bonefish and steelhead rod when the opportunity hits. Both are addictions that are hard to shake.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Forgot to add whether sink tip line would be the best in these situations, or could I get away with a floating line?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM

Floating line would be great. I would not bother changing spools to a sinking line if I had one on me.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM

‎Country Pleasures has the ‬‎Orvis‬ Encounter Package. 8 weight, 4 piece rod, reel, line, and backing for only $279.00.

Pretty good deal.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -carson- View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Forgot to add whether sink tip line would be the best in these situations, or could I get away with a floating line?
floating for pike, I like a sink tip for bulls but I just cheat and throw a spey sink tip on the end of my floating line.

generally a full sink is better for a lake but a sink tip is good for rivers. A type 6 and a short fluoro leader can really get your fly down when it needs to.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM

I have redington vapens in both 6 and 9wts and have caught bulls and pike on both without any problems. My 9wt loaded with a rio pike/musky line cannot be beat for the price in my opinion. Long casts with LEGITIMATE 10' flies are not a problem with two hauls. Plus the vapen is relatively cheap.
If you were only going to get one rod, I would go for a 7wt if you target mainly bulls and probably go with the 8wt if you go after pike more often.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 PM

I have a nine for bulls and I like the extra backbone on the gusty days in the pass

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I have redington vapens in both 6 and 9wts and have caught bulls and pike on both without any problems. My 9wt loaded with a rio pike/musky line cannot be beat for the price in my opinion. Long casts with LEGITIMATE 10' flies are not a problem with two hauls. Plus the vapen is relatively cheap.
If you were only going to get one rod, I would go for a 7wt if you target mainly bulls and probably go with the 8wt if you go after pike more often.

Long casts with a LEGITIMATE 10 foot long Fly. That is absolutely awesome double hauling!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Long casts with a LEGITIMATE 10 foot long Fly. That is absolutely awesome double hauling!
I know I didn't believe it either until I tried!