Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Cheap Vet .....or even reasonable

I started to look for a vet to clean the Griffs teeth . I have never owned a dog that I couldnt clean his teeth But here he is ...

So I took him to my reg. vet and it cost me $ 80.00 to have them tell me I am looking at 6 to 8 hundred to have him knocked out and teeth cleaned ...

I phoned a couple of vets in the Okotoks area , they wont tell you without the $80. to $120. Visit ....

Surely there must be a reasonable vet in south-Ab. or Calgary.

Any thoughts ,.... W101
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Canine tooth cleaning is not regulated to vets only. Can't help you in alberta but my cousin operates K9 Brite in BC and does cleanings for what it sounds like you have already paid for the assessments.
Rob
Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Advantages Of Feeding Your Dog On Raw Meaty Bones

Raw dog bones will clean your dogs teeth
Raw meaty bones will stop your dog having bad breath
Raw meaty bones will keep your dog happy and quiet for hours (yay!)
Raw bones will stop your dog having anal sac problems
Raw bones are a natural food for your dog
Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Hate to say it Winch101, but that is about what it will cost you at any vet's.

I agree with FishingMom, bones are a good way to minimize cleaning. I also feed a dental formula food that helps immensely, though is a bit expensive (I usually mix it 50/50 with another foo), but compared to a $6-800 bill every year or so, it is money well spent.

BTW, if you can not clean the dog's teeth without knocking him out, don't expect anyone else to.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Gone Hunting

WOW! Winch, you could hire someone to sit on the dog for a lot less than that.

I just hauled one of my horses into Border vet in Provost for some dental work. He is 30+ and had trouble chewing.
I was in there for 50 minutes. Three teeth extracted, 2 tranquilizer shots, antibiotics for 3 shots.
total cost $212.

Last week I took one of my dogs in after hours to emerg, same clinic. The terrier had been in a fight with two labs.
2 hours + of surgery, 2 nights in clinic and antibiotics, two follow up visits. Total $700

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

most grooming places will clean teeth aswell,just give the dog a few bones he should be fine,and as far as that barf diet goes you need to be a stay at home person to tend to your dog like that,it's time consuming,expensive and untested.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 AM

This doesn't help you much in S AB but in Ft Vermilion on Nov 17 I had my old dogs(70 pound Lab X 15 yrs old) teeth cleaned at my vets office. In at 9:00 out at 16:00. worth every penny as it cleared up a couple of issues that I had put down to old age. She is so much more chipper now and wants to come out again instead of lying by the fire.

K-9 teeth clean $70.00
Anasthetic-General $80.00
Special (Clinic Fee) $10.00
Total $160.00
GST $ 8.00
Total $168.00

My vet is a small town/country vet with a mixed farm animal/pet practise.

I know I was shocked to find out what city vets think they should charge when I moved South a few years ago. For the price difference you could almost afford to take a couple of days off to come North.

Hope someone can steer you to a good country vet.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Trans Canada Vet on 16th avenue.

Best rates in town, and he's a good vet.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Vets (in urban centres) and dentists (in Alberta) are a total racket!!

Be prepared to fork over some major $, for either!!

P
Old 11-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Yeah it is a lot, but what do you think 7+ years of school and overhead on a clinic costs?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Give the Glamorgan Vet Clinic in SW Calgary a call.

My experience over 15 years...

They never charge me a visitation fee, just for the procedures, their prices have always been much less than the competition.

Smart vets, still thinking "Old School".

And they don't preform unneccessary work.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:51 PM

My lab chews alot of sticks. Probably somone will say this is harmful for his teeth but it sure keeps them clean.
The vet at the Bowmount clinc in Bowness sent me home with a tube of dogtoothpaste that smells like fish and told me to put the toothpaste on a piece of guaze. Then just rub this on his canine teeth as the others are perfect.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Default x 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Advantages Of Feeding Your Dog On Raw Meaty Bones

Raw dog bones will clean your dogs teeth
Raw meaty bones will stop your dog having bad breath
Raw meaty bones will keep your dog happy and quiet for hours (yay!)
Raw bones will stop your dog having anal sac problems
Raw bones are a natural food for your dog
I have a crazy 14 year old Jack Russel that has always had access to raw bones(including chicken bones) from day 1. He has never had (nor needed) his teeth cleaned or any medical problems. He is still super active and very fit. His teeth and health are perfect. And this is a dog that had/and still has a very loud heart murmur! Do them a favor!!! "Treat them as a carnivore"
Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Sometimes you get what you pay for. My son has worked for a vet clinic for the last 4 years and they have done a lot work to repair what other vets have charged less to do. Things like fixing botched surgeries and helping animals that have infections from surgeries improperly done.
As for the cost think of the number of years that they go to school, the cost of equipment, the cost of staffing, etc. and then what they charge may not seem so much. Also the vet school, University of Saskatchewan, only allow a certain number of students from each province, last year when my son applied there were 80 applicants from Alberta and they only are allowed to take 20 out from Alberta.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Good Vet

Give Canyon Meadows Veterinary Clinic a call. Dr. Andrzej Biernacki takes care about all our dogs. We are very happy with the service we get over there and the charges are very reasonable. “Andrzej “is a member on this forum so maybe send him a PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Sometimes you get what you pay for. My son has worked for a vet clinic for the last 4 years and they have done a lot work to repair what other vets have charged less to do. Things like fixing botched surgeries and helping animals that have infections from surgeries improperly done.
As for the cost think of the number of years that they go to school, the cost of equipment, the cost of staffing, etc. and then what they charge may not seem so much. Also the vet school, University of Saskatchewan, only allow a certain number of students from each province, last year when my son applied there were 80 applicants from Alberta and they only are allowed to take 20 out from Alberta.
If your son is still trying to get into vet school have him try the new program at the university of Calgary
Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 AM

When appling at one school they let the other school know. He's finishing his bio-chemistry degree this school year and will be applying again.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM

I give our dog raw elk and llama rib bones. She loves them and her teeth are clean and she has something to do during the day instead of chewing my shoes. I buy the bones at the local pet store for $6 and are found in the freezer with the other raw dog food.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Hi There In new to Edmonton but I have 2 small dogs that I am willing to drive out to this place. Coming from Toronto Ive been quoted $1500 per dog. So the prices you just mentioned are more reasonable. Is this the clinic located on Wheatland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
WOW! Winch, you could hire someone to sit on the dog for a lot less than that.

I just hauled one of my horses into Border vet in Provost for some dental work. He is 30+ and had trouble chewing.
I was in there for 50 minutes. Three teeth extracted, 2 tranquilizer shots, antibiotics for 3 shots.
total cost $212.

Last week I took one of my dogs in after hours to emerg, same clinic. The terrier had been in a fight with two labs.
2 hours + of surgery, 2 nights in clinic and antibiotics, two follow up visits. Total $700
Old 05-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Banned

Default Cheap Vet .....or even reasonable

Cheap solution would be to feed your dog Hills TD with his other food.
This is a dental food available through your vet.
The bigger chunks do an amazing job.
Expensive food.
Cheaper than a K9 dental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 AM

do you have the full details to this vet by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbita1 View Post
This doesn't help you much in S AB but in Ft Vermilion on Nov 17 I had my old dogs(70 pound Lab X 15 yrs old) teeth cleaned at my vets office. In at 9:00 out at 16:00. worth every penny as it cleared up a couple of issues that I had put down to old age. She is so much more chipper now and wants to come out again instead of lying by the fire.

K-9 teeth clean $70.00
Anasthetic-General $80.00
Special (Clinic Fee) $10.00
Total $160.00
GST $ 8.00
Total $168.00

My vet is a small town/country vet with a mixed farm animal/pet practise.

I know I was shocked to find out what city vets think they should charge when I moved South a few years ago. For the price difference you could almost afford to take a couple of days off to come North.

Hope someone can steer you to a good country vet.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Default teeth cleaning

I lay my setter on his side and scrape the tartar off with a small knife. Works perfect.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Canine tooth cleaning is not regulated to vets only. Can't help you in alberta but my cousin operates K9 Brite in BC and does cleanings for what it sounds like you have already paid for the assessments.
Rob

Ah, the grey market. Anyone who is not a licensed vet is breaking the law if they administer a sedative, which is usually required.

Grizz
Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 PM

That is why her service is so popular. No sedatives required. Especially in older dogs where sedative can be bad for them

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post

i would never seek out a 'cheap' vet to do a procedure on my dog. Affordable is a different story, but I'll spend a couple extra hundred to know he gets top notch care.

I always had a great experience at the airdrie animal clinic. I drove my dog there from red deer a few times so there is no way anyone could tell me okotoks is too far.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Cheaper to go to Co-op or wherever, and buy soup bones, probably6-8.00 a bag, per week, if you give it one every day.. May well check with butchers in your area, could be cheaper yet, and cut to size if you need smaller pcs.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:59 PM

2010 ???
Old 05-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

I would suggest you steer clear of Delton vet clinic in Edmonton, they specialize in wallet cleansing. My dogs got into a tussle on Canada day long weekend a few years back when I was at my cabin and we had to take one of them in for stitches to the Barrhead vet. Emergency call, long weekend, had to put the dog under to stitch him, came out to $300! Delton would charge that to look at him!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
2010 ???
LOL.
Yup. Never fails. Someone out in Google land does a search, and stumbles upon some 6 year old thread and joins AO just to say something and not realize the date. Then everyone else carries on the discussion like it just started.
You can always see these threads bumped by someone's first ever post.

vBulletin should have a default warning whenever an ancient thread gets bumped.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
LOL.
Yup. Never fails. Someone out in Google land does a search, and stumbles upon some 6 year old thread and joins AO just to say something and not realize the date. Then everyone else carries on the discussion like it just started.
You can always see these threads bumped by someone's first ever post.

vBulletin should have a default warning whenever an ancient thread gets bumped.
Or someone may have new info.

Maybe the search should be done away with altogether.

Wonder how much extra the charge is for bringing up an old thread.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand