Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM
bobcatguy1

Default New archery info & ?

I was looking for a cheap effective backstop for target practice & was wondering what you guys use?
An uncle of mine told me to hang up old carpet 4 to 6 layers thick & paint a target on it. I tried it & it will work but I will need at least 8 layers as my arrows go right to the fletching with only 4 layers It does stop them though.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Blakeinator2

i buy bag targets for field points, they work awesome and last a long time, i buy specific broadhead targets for broadheads...best options we've found, when cranking things hard with todays 70 lb bows etc. you need the right stuff imo, we run thick plywood behind the targets and haven't had one punch through and keep going when we poop the bed and miss the bag etc. altogether

B
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM
backstop

Default backstop

I have one of those old office partitions. It's stuffed with packed straw, I think. Not sure where you'd get that type today.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:52 PM
RollnBurn

Default Re: backstop

I use a home made target made from high density styrofoam insulation layered with carpet. For about 20$ you can get a 2' X 8' sheet of the styrofoam (i got from home depot) and cut it into 4 2' X 2' pieces. Layer carpet between the pieces and one piece front and back then wrap the whole thing in duct tape. Works great for broadheads and after a few hundred shots you can refresh the target with a 7$ can of spray foam from the hardware store and another layer of duct tape. If you use the spray foam make sure you let it cure for much longer than it says on the can, I almost had my first round of shots get stuck in there cause it wasnt dry yet. Much cheaper than a real foam block target and mine even comes with a fancy duct tape handle...:b

Rolln
Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 PM
jrs

Best i've come accross is chunk of plywood attached to tarp then stuffed with lumber canvas/plastic (free from home depot, totem, etc). You can use rug instead of tarp if available, last for a long time and slows arrows down very nicely.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:07 PM
bobcatguy1

Thanks for the info guys. Rolln you should send that one to Red Green.