Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Default New Hunting Pack?

I'm looking at getting a new pack for hunting. I've been eyeing up the Badlands OX backpack. It looks like a good set up.

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Would you say it's worth the cost? I see it's on sale at WSS right now...

skinny
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I picked one up on saturday at WSS south Edmonton. I'm heading to Grande Cache for a 2 week hunting trip, Elk, Sheep and the like... I'll post a review upon my return.

skinny
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Just saw this. The ox is an amazing pack! ultra light and super comfortable. It is set up to take heavy ackward loads and balances very nicely. You will love it! Worth the $$ IMO
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
Just saw this. The ox is an amazing pack! ultra light and super comfortable. It is set up to take heavy ackward loads and balances very nicely. You will love it! Worth the $$ IMO
Your not for real..........ultra light.....
Someone better back me on this....
LMAO
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearen09 View Post
Your not for real..........ultra light.....
Someone better back me on this....
LMAO
I'm backin' ya lol...

Web site says it weighs 9 pounds 11 ounces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the alum frame weighs 1 pound 9 ounces)

and it's only 2500 ci (which is 40 litres). Not big enough for a multi-day pack-in sheep hunt IMHO

there is some confusion on it's capacity....website on one page says 2500 ci and another page says 4400?

Last edited by CNP; 09-25-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM

I have one.

It is a decent pack for single day to weekend hunting trips. I have used it in the mountains and for sheep hunting this year (up to 3 day trips). To me it shines in single day excursions where you are to prepared to spend the night AND you will be packing out a deboned animal... so pack out weight of 100-120 lbs.

It IS a light external frame pack.... but it IS heavier than an internal frame pack. It does hold weight very well.. much better IMHO than Eberlestock & MEC packs I own. However it's volume capacity (vs. weight) handling is NOT as good as the internal frames.... thus my earlier statement on its suitability as day/overnight meat packer (this is what I primarily use it for).

My two main beefs: limited volume and relatively rigid waist belt.

I wouldn't buy it from WSS... Cabelas is much cheaper as is ordering online.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
I have one.

It is a decent pack for single day to weekend hunting trips. I have used it in the mountains and for sheep hunting this year (up to 3 day trips). To me it shines in single day excursions where you are to prepared to spend the night AND you will be packing out a deboned animal... so pack out weight of 100-120 lbs.

It IS a light external frame pack.... but it IS heavier than an internal frame pack. It does hold weight very well.. much better IMHO than Eberlestock & MEC packs I own. However it's volume capacity (vs. weight) handling is NOT as good as the internal frames.... thus my earlier statement on its suitability as day/overnight meat packer (this is what I primarily use it for).

My two main beefs: limited volume and relatively rigid waist belt.

I wouldn't buy it from WSS... Cabelas is much cheaper as is ordering online.
Limited volume? It is a 72L pack... You need more? Most expedition packs seem to be between 60 and 75L (from what I've seen so far, I may not be as experienced as you). Also, WSS had 'em on sale I didn't see any on the cabelas site... Might've missed them... Oh well...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

All I can say is that I love it! I have used it to pack moose and elk out of tough thick and hilly country with ease. It made a tough chore a lot less torturous

I also used it on a short 3 night sheep hunt and found it excellent! I am sure internal packs are lighter but I wouldn't go back to one. I did not find it heavy at all or really noticed what its wieght was, it just felt good! I always have a partner to split packing stuff so I don't need 90L pack which you might if you are a solo hunter.

Anyway my 2 cents, After 30+ yrs of hunting it ranks up there with my meindl (sp?) boots and my leatherman, as an excellent buy and functional tool which makes hunting a little more enjoyable.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnykid View Post
Limited volume? It is a 72L pack... You need more? Most expedition packs seem to be between 60 and 75L (from what I've seen so far, I may not be as experienced as you). Also, WSS had 'em on sale I didn't see any on the cabelas site... Might've missed them... Oh well...
It is how it is designed. It might be 60 l on paper but that's all the compartments together. The main compartment is a small main compartment. The top pouch volume gets affected by the full water bladder (designed to be under the top in the mesh pouch). The side pockets are not flexible and don't pack well when the main compartment is full - the list goes on.

In comparison most similar sized packs have a very large main compartment generous top pouch perhaps a sleeping pouch and then the attachment straps

So it is all how the 60 L is compartmentalised. I don't think the Ox does it that well.