Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Vaseux Lake, B.C.

I'm going to be in Penticton for a few days at the end of August, and would like to catch my first bass. Vaseux Lake is close by, but I don't have a boat. Is there any chance to get one to rent at the lake? Any suggestions on what lure to use or where to start would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

I have never fished Vaseux Lake but have a couple ideas on bass fishing based on my limited experience.

For larger bass you can use top water lures if they are in the right mood. Frog lures, buzz baits or zara spooks.

If there is good structure to fish(docks, overhanging trees, culverts etc) then a texas rigged worm can produce very well. They have to be fished slowly so not great if you are trying to cover ground to find fish though.

Assorted crankbaits and grub tailed jigs or texas rigged swimbaits work good if trying to find fish and cover ground. Work structure like weed beds etc to find the fish.

This is all coming from someone who only knows a tiny bit about bass fishing though so take it with a grain of salt and try whatever you think might work...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM

No boat rental on that lake
No motors either electric to gas no no

It is a bird sanctuary so it's looked after well. But if you get the the back bowls you will do well
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 PM

Shore fishing is limited

Pick up a cheap raft and paddles or bring a canoe 100% worth it. You will catch a lot more than you will from shore.

Work the docks, opposite shore from prov campground, and the mouth of the okanagan river top end. These are some good starting points.

For lures spinnerbaits, floating raphala, rubber worms and lizards work well.

There is also lots of perch and some big ones
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 PM

Hit vaseux last year on the way down down for the pink run, had our float tubes but it was hot as heck and windy too, fishing was slow but got a few smallies and jumbo perch on black spinnerbaits. Also lost a massive largemouth right by my tube that will haunt me for the rest of my life ha. Or at least till i get back there and catch it!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 AM

Sun and Sup in Naramata rent fishing kayaks for 40-50 bucks a day, definitely the way to go...our boat screwed up a few years ago and we rented them for Skaha and did pretty good! Vaseux is quite a bit smaller and should work perfectly there.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM

JD gave a good review. Fishing from shore at the lagoons is very tough, almost no casting room and fairly steep drop-offs.

Skaha has great smallmouth fishing and some largemouth. Renting a boat for this lake is much easier. Try along the east side, especially down by the cliffs from shore or a boat.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

I had some success in front of the houses near the campground back in April catching small mouth with husky jerks in blue and silver. Nice rock pile near those houses.
Can always fish for the monster carp at Vaseux lake off the campground they are huge and everywhere.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
I had some success in front of the houses near the campground back in April catching small mouth with husky jerks in blue and silver. Nice rock pile near those houses.
Can always fish for the monster carp at Vaseux lake off the campground they are huge and everywhere.
In that location I find the smallmouth move out in July and largemouth move in. Early June that spot is deadly for smallmouth

In my opinion late summer seems to be better for largemouth over smallmouth all through the lake
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 PM

They are great fun on a fly rod as well
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 PM

Skaha lake at Okanagan Falls lions park was good fishing for bass from shore too. You can fish along the south end of Skaha right by the highway too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Rehashing an old thread here, I am spending a week at a resort on Vasseux this July and was curious if anyone could give me any up to date pointers. Never caught a Bass, very excited to try it! don't care if its a smallie or a large.

thanks!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 PM

Do a quick google search for drop shot rigs, they're absolutely killer for bass. Also look into top water lures. I find frogs and mice work best for largemouth. If you like to use crankbaits the Livetarget Pumpkinseed lure is in my experience one of the very best. A bober, hook and worm has never failed anyone fishing for rock bass under a dock or pier.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks Andy!

Yeah I was looking at setting up a drop shot rig or a texas rig with a pumpkin seed worm (which are hard to find in Calgary) But topwater is always fun when they are on!

Under docks seems to be the best from what I have read, I was just curious to see if anyone was willing to share that sweet spot lol.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM

all our smallies and the giant large mouth I lost in vaseux were on black spinner baits burned along weed edges. we were in float tubes
Old 02-26-2016, 06:30 PM

I fish Lake Osoyoos (south of Vaseaux) usually once a summer, always using brown tube jigs and drop shots. I've caught the most on just drop shotting a worm. Wacky worm and cranks can be utilized too, and top water for later summer and into fall.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM

Where’s the best place in Vaseux Lake to find the big carp people talk about? South side, north side? I’ve never really fished for them before, so don’t really know what they’re like or where they’ll most likely hang.

Thanks

Last edited by Bcuzzocrea; 03-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcuzzocrea View Post
Where’s the best place in Vaseux Lake to find the big carp people talk about? South side, north side? I’ve never really fished for them before, so don’t really know what they’re like or where they’ll most likely hang.

Thanks
I was targeting bass there for the most part years ago but did do a little carp fishing right from the beach at the provincial camp ground. The carp would cruze in often and caught a fair number between 5-15 lbs. I never really targeted them just tossed out a line with corn/bread when I was at camp

Seen carp all over well bass fishing from a canoe. Water is pretty clear so it’s easy to see where they are cruzing. Lots up towards where the river comes into the lake
Old 03-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I was targeting bass there for the most part years ago but did do a little carp fishing right from the beach at the provincial camp ground. The carp would cruze in often and caught a fair number between 5-15 lbs. I never really targeted them just tossed out a line with corn/bread when I was at camp

Seen carp all over well bass fishing from a canoe. Water is pretty clear so it’s easy to see where they are cruzing. Lots up towards where the river comes into the lake
Awesome, thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM

i've seen carp cruising right in the middle of the lake around 8 feet deep, super clear water. Very majestic looking fish in the water

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Fishing Last Year

I grew up in that area, my father and I used to clean up catching large bass on the fly. I went fishing there last year and the year before multiple times. I have never NOT seen at least 3-4 biiig 4-8lb large mouth near the bird sanctuary on the NE end. With a lot of the smaller 5-16" largies at the very least. All I caught were a few perch and 20+ smallies. Don't get me wrong I love hunting smallmouth but I was very concerned about the population. If you catch one it would be great to hear about it or anyone else on this thread to put my mind at ease. My pops said the same thing, he stopped going there to target the large mouth because they just were not there. Hit the North Vaseaux channel that runs into Osoyoos lake and the lake itself, larger more sustainable population it seems. Good luck please let me know.