Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Default Gregg lake

Hey guys. Heading to gregg lake tomorrow. Going for whitefish. Wondering if anyone could give me a pointer in where to start pounding holes. Fished it last summer so I know it's a big lake to not have an idea where to start. Not looking for honey holes. Just general right left from boat launch. I'll punch holes all day after that to find them. Appreciate it
Old 02-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Only been out there a few times but it's treated me well. I've been finding whites in pretty shallow (2-5 fow). They were hitting mostly on a white and orange wire worm. Most I've been around the 19-20" mark. Biggest was 23.5". Basically start punching holes about 4 feet apart and look for the transition from weeds to sand (at least where I was) in the above depth range.

I've only been out about 4 times but it's treated me well. Try and find a depth chart and it'll help you out.

Lastly, when I was out last about 2 weeks ago the ice was still about 17-20" but had a lot of air in it.

Carter
Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Thanks. I'll be walking on pulling sled so even if it's air filled ice I think I should be fine. Buddy just bailed on me so I'm heading out solo. Reading up on some of speckles old posts and he mentioned SE corner same depth you mentioned. See how ambitious I am to hike across the lake tomorrow but that's my plan. Thanks again
Old 02-27-2016, 06:14 PM

Well the ice was amazing. The weather was gorgeous. Saw probably 20 whites on camera. 1 bite, none landed. Still a work in progress
Old 02-27-2016, 10:50 PM

So the ice was still in good shape? Glad to hear it as I'm considering trying to convince the wife that fishing tomorrow is exactly what she wants me to do...

Glad you saw some out there! Best of luck in the future.

Carter