Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Default Lake Trout Manitoba

Anyone here ever head over to the west part of Manitoba to ice fish for giant lakers the end of march/april? Looking at maybe heading to Clearwater or reed or athap or kississing to scratch the giant laker itch.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 PM

We usually head up to Reindeer Lake, but the ice does not come off it until mid June!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 AM

I prefer open water fishing up there in June, mainly Athapap that's when you'll hit big lakers. If you're up there in April you could check out the spring derby http://flintyfishderby.com/
Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 PM

Fished Clearwater Easter last year, worst weather conditions for dishing possible, only iced a few small ones, but was able to drive truck everywhere so did a lot of scouting for structure. Was just there again for 4 days end of Jan but fishing was slow, and no big ones. Ice was solid but very inconsistent thickness, apparently 9" of good blue ice is enough to support a half ton. In 110' of water, makes a guys heart skip a beat or two. Was 16" thick just 100 yds away. So we didn't explore too much, stayed in an area that had consistent thicker ice, but few lake trout.
Did catch a beauty 41" Laker on Clearwater on open water in October a few years ago during my first trip there. I was hooked after landing that big girl. A buddy of mine has done really well the third week of March the last two years there, caught two over 40" in 20 mins one day.

An April trp to Reed is also on the To Do list, lots of monstsr pike there, some Lakers also.

Good luck wherever you go. I'd love to get back there again this season but can't see it happening.

Disco