Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 AM

Have you ever gone to the FL Keys for Bone and Tarpon? Wondering if there is any cost differential?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Awesome trip report SDF; great airport info and societal observations.

Did you stick with the 10WT the whole time, or did you take a lighter rod for bones?

How about some pics of the flies used? What did the trip run you ($ wise), if you don't mind my asking?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Awesome trip report SDF; great airport info and societal observations.

Did you stick with the 10WT the whole time, or did you take a lighter rod for bones?

How about some pics of the flies used? What did the trip run you ($ wise), if you don't mind my asking?
You need an 8 weight and a 10 weight. I always take 2 eight weights, 1 nine weight and 1 ten weigh. Not having back ups is a recipe for disappointment IMHO.

I will take some fly photos this weekend. There were some better flies.

I used the 8 weight for bones, jacks, small cudas, snapper and permit. 10 weight for jumbo cudas and tarpon. If it was not for the mangroves you could used an 8 weight on the small tarpon potentially.

Just knowing what to expect at the airport is good intel.

When I arrived at Varadero you leave the plane and a short wind down to the main level. You line up to go through immigration. They take your photo..hats and glasses off. Then you got through the door and into the screening area. I sent into one line...was not moving then went to the second line that was moving slowly. The X-ray machine broke and that line was **** down. Then the first line was gigantic.

The women screeners from the broken machine immediately opened another line. I got into that line and they fired bags through. You need all metal off but I forgot my metal watch and the machine did not beep.

Then we lined up for the bags.

No bags were coming out except some that went round and round.

I noticed a pile of bags stacked in a corner and investigated. Mine was there so I told everyone else.

I then lined up for money exchange. Second in line...not to bad. It is slow and by the time I was done the line was over 25 and growing. Multi planes were landing after mine so we got lucky.

Then caught my ride and off to explore Cuba.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM

I should warn people that every stray dog I saw was covered in ticks. Therefore take precautions when walking around and do a regular tick check and research how to deal with them should you pick up a hitch hiker.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin