Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM

Default line preference for downrigging

Hi , tried doing some research on what line people are having success for downrigging for lakers. Last year I tried using 30lb braid on my reel but it it was too thin and kept popping out of the line clip. Has anyone had better luck using a heavier braided line like 50-60lb . This size line is over kill for the fish i'm going after but i like the no stretch factor compared to mono.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Hi , tried doing some research on what line people are having success for downrigging for lakers. Last year I tried using 30lb braid on my reel but it it was too thin and kept popping out of the line clip. Has anyone had better luck using a heavier braided line like 50-60lb . This size line is over kill for the fish i'm going after but i like the no stretch factor compared to mono.
I was downrigging for Kokanne with 6lb braid and didnt have an issue... What brand downrigger and clip are you using? Can you adjust the clip anymore?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM

I have a scotty rigger and clip, one of the clips has 2 adjustments and i have it set on the firmer grip with no luck. My friend was using 25lb mono and the clips worked fine.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM

Are you useing the release clips for Braid?? I use them with 12lb fireline and have never had a problem.. Fishhawk
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM

I run both mono and braid lines down rigging. Mono eliminates the need to use a snubber (having the properties of providing some stretch).

I also run a 20lb braid with or without a snubber - depending on what I'm targeting.

I found the braided simply line seats deeper in the jaws of a typical scotty release - no issues at all for me after a few on board tests.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk1850 View Post
Are you useing the release clips for Braid?? I use them with 12lb fireline and have never had a problem.. Fishhawk
Lol man I think it's just an ordinary release. I'm going to look into a release made for braid .

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM

That's the same type I use - just slide the line all the way back in the release - slide the collar up tight and it should be good. Give it a pull to test it.

There is a small chance the release is weird ........ and maybe the rubber or plastic is off specification - but that the exact release I use ...... with no issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's the same type I use - just slide the line all the way back in the release - slide the collar up tight and it should be good. Give it a pull to test it.

There is a small chance the release is weird ........ and maybe the rubber or plastic is off specification - but that the exact release I use ...... with no issues.
Ok me and my buddy swapped and it was the same issue for me on his also. It was a real pain .

Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Lol man I think it's just an ordinary release. I'm going to look into a release made for braid .

The ones I have for braid have a black tip with a red rubber strip down the middle. When I get home i will dig them out and send a pic, I bought them at The Fishin Center. The rubber strip holds the braid a bit better, you can use them for mono as well just not heavy mono I did not change them on our first day at Rupert last year and they would not release on the #30 mono without a very hard pull. Fishhawk
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Sounds good thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I have a scotty rigger and clip, one of the clips has 2 adjustments and i have it set on the firmer grip with no luck. My friend was using 25lb mono and the clips worked fine.
braid and the release donot go together well as the braid is to slippery use mono or flouro
Old 04-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
braid and the release donot go together well as the braid is to slippery use mono or flouro
I never really used flouro but I looked into it and it sounds like the ticket for the lake I'm fishing. Thank you I will give it a shot.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM

I have always used trilene big game. its durable and strong. has some line memory, but on downrigger reels who cares. it comes in huge spools as well. mono has some stretch and it helps if you ask me. I have been adding about a 20 yard length of florocarbon as well. lake trout roll in the line so its stronger against the back of their fins, and in clear water much less visable. 20lb has always been plenty unless you are fishing water with 30+ pound fish being likely. braid can acutally dig into the rubber pads on the release clips when you take up the slack or set the hook on smaller fish.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM

I had the same problem with the "MINI" clips when using 30lb powerpro. Switched to the larger standard sized release clips that Scotty makes and problem solved! Try the standard size ones they grip pretty darn good, sometimes its hard to get the line to release without a very solid hookset.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

20 # powerpro , standard scotty clip , no issues ! the no stretch allows almost all but the smallest fish pop it out as well with a decent hit ! love it and have no issues ! Enjoy