Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Default My luck with the Bow

Hi all. About a year ago a coworker introduced me to fishing for the first time and I have been hooked ever since. Residing in a lake community I have easy access to some nice rainbow trout whenever I get the itch.

Towards the end of last year I became a little ambitious and began exploring the Bow river a little bit. I live 5 minutes away from 22x so I decided to start there. I will admit, I was fishing blindly and cluelessly for the most part last year. Never catching anything with spoons or spinners I was disheartened.

This year I decided to do a bit more research. Learned quite a few about reading waters, types of lures/flies to use at certain times of year, etc. What I mostly found highly recommended are Rapala CDs and Xraps. I bought myself a few and voila! caught my first couple of fish right out of the Bow. I felt rejuvinated. I attached the pictures below.

That was April 2nd and 4th. I have been to the Bow, up and down 22X, tried different other lures, spinners and spoons, but have not repeated my success. I know there's fish out there but I just don't know why I cannot catch any of them again.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Going at the wrong time of days? Wrong weather? Maybe it's time for me to explore more spots. I would love to find one where I can at least consistently hook a fish or two so I can take my wife and kids with me. I want to share the experience with my family but getting skunked so many times just kills my spirit sometimes.

I was wondering if there's anyone here who's willing to lend a hand, show me a trick or two. Help me see what I'm missing here. Maybe show me a spot or two (not asking for your top secret spot, just maybe point me in the right direction). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (29.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (33.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Banned

I used to be a faithful spoon and spinner chucker for trout. For whatever reason I find I am much less successful using them in the bow for whatever reason. They will def. still produce some fish, but not nearly what I feel they should.

There are a couple spots where a 5" spoon is my go to lure, but those are very specific spots.

You can't go wrong with a crank bait.

From small 3cm to hand length cranks you can catch lots of fish.

Work on reading the water more, weather, and time of day, and your technique and you will have predictable success.

Try to find some spots that aren't so heavily trafficked.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 PM

silver and yellow panther martins have always worked good for me. Always cast lures upstream in and follow your line with your rod tip while retrieving , all silver spinners have also been good to me.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM

When i used to be a spinner guy,gold ,silver ,and bronze Blue Fox spinners were the ticket
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Nice fish