Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM

Default z71 Small Engine Help

Hey guys, I was out fishing this week , I took a pull on the starter of my Z71 Eskimo , The knot at the end of the handle had some undone and has now zipped back into the pull start

Anybody know if I can un screw the 4 bolts and re wind it and pull the string back out ?

Or am I better off taking it to a small engine repair shop and get charged to pull the string back out ?

The string never broke, it just came out of the handle and zipped back into the housing

Thanks in advance !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Might find YouTube vid or owners manual?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskokagould View Post
Might find YouTube vid or owners manual?
Im pretty sure I have the manual , however , Im not a mechanic,, but I do feel with a little bit of a confidence boost from others that may have the same issue , and could shed some light on what they did ! I could tackle this !

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM

I would try to use a couple of flat screwdrivers to spin the rotator outward. Maybe some needle nose pliers to finally reach in and grab the rope, or some tweezers.its a slow process, but less to go wrong and less to lose.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I would try to use a couple of flat screwdrivers to spin the rotator outward. Maybe some needle nose pliers to finally reach in and grab the rope, or some tweezers.its a slow process, but less to go wrong and less to lose.
I tried pliers, but I can not find anything narrow enough to fit, I tried a long treble I straightened out and tried hooking it onto the barb, But with no luck,

Again thanks for the quick responses , Its greatly appreciated !

Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM

No experience with an ice augur however on my boat motor and various snowmobiles I have worked on, if you take the recoil off it can get messy. There is a coiled spring inside the housing and if you aren't super careful taking it off the spring will "explode" out of the housing. Trust me re-winding a recoil spring is a capital b##ch.

On the same note, I believe the recoil mechanisms are built in a way that if you can manage to recover the end of the cord (needle nose pliers thru the hole?) you shouldn't have to rewind the spring. Just get the end out and go.

If your not mechanically inclined I'd take er to the pros... or a generous board member.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
No experience with an ice augur however on my boat motor and various snowmobiles I have worked on, if you take the recoil off it can get messy. There is a coiled spring inside the housing and if you aren't super careful taking it off the spring will "explode" out of the housing. Trust me re-winding a recoil spring is a capital b##ch.

On the same note, I believe the recoil mechanisms are built in a way that if you can manage to recover the end of the cord (needle nose pliers thru the hole?) you shouldn't have to rewind the spring. Just get the end out and go.

If your not mechanically inclined I'd take er to the pros... or a generous board member.
Again thanks for your help,

Now ...... ANY SMALL ENGINE GUYS OUT THERE WORKING FOR STURGEON TIPS ? lol lol lol

again guys thanks a lot for that little bit of info, It really helps !

Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM

If you can't fix it let me know and I'll stop by and take a look at it for you this weekend. Should be an easy fix. I would also tie a second knot just behind the handle so if it happens again the rope won't rewind back into the housing.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
If you can't fix it let me know and I'll stop by and take a look at it for you this weekend. Should be an easy fix. I would also tie a second knot just behind the handle so if it happens again the rope won't rewind back into the housing.
My plan exactly , I was thinking a second knot or even a screw threw the line or something,

This happened the first pull of the day , so I didn't even have one hole down lol lol

Again AJ .

We may have to try to tackle this ourselves, and Im sure you would be a great hand ! , I may have to set the auger a few feet lower for ya , But besides that ...... lol lol

Thanks for the offer man !

Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Cant resist

Should have got a Jiffy.

Or an Ion.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM

super easy fix when you remove the housing the string will be sitting there, chances are its pinched between a plastic or metal chunk and will have to just be pushed back through the hole

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Cant resist

Should have got a Jiffy.

Or an Ion.
I second that emotion.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Cant resist

Should have got a Jiffy.

Or an Ion.
x3...thats what ya get for thinking eskimo is any good
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Cant resist

Should have got a Jiffy.

Or an Ion.
I just spit my drink ...out ....... omg ......

Figures you would be a Jiffy guy ............ I also have the Eskimo z71 ........

I don't think we agree on ANY equipment ......

You better make a trip up here so we can show you what real equipment looks like ....
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I just spit my drink ...out ....... omg ......

Figures you would be a Jiffy guy ............ I also have the Eskimo z71 ........

I don't think we agree on ANY equipment ......

You better make a trip up here so we can show you what real equipment looks like ....
I agree, Way better then any jiffy lol, And the problem isn't something breaking, It was a bad knot behind the handle so the rope sucked into the recoil, nothing broke though,

But ya, Nothing beats the Z71 , When I wound the coil by hand, placed it on the auger, it ran first pull, lol

Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Same thing happened to me and i finally gave up and took it to a small engine shop......after my wife told me my language she could here from the garage became quite offensive!!!!!! Oh ya it was a Jiffy.......LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 PM

If you don't have it taken care of pm me if your not too far I'll see what I can do, if the problem is as you described it should be an easy fix
Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Same thing happened to me and i finally gave up and took it to a small engine shop......after my wife told me my language she could here from the garage became quite offensive!!!!!! Oh ya it was a Jiffy.......LOL
lol, I am pretty sure I can fix it or have it fixed, I have ordered the new part now, so just a waiting game now, and when that new recoil comes in

the first thing im going to do is CHECK THE DAMN KNOT BEHIND THE HANDLE !!!!!!!!

All this hassle because a fisherman never tied the knot behind the handle

Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
lol, I am pretty sure I can fix it or have it fixed, I have ordered the new part now, so just a waiting game now, and when that new recoil comes in

the first thing im going to do is CHECK THE DAMN KNOT BEHIND THE HANDLE !!!!!!!!

All this hassle because a fisherman never tied the knot behind the handle
Hope u can tie a better knot on your line...

If u were in cowtown I could help u out as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM

When you fix it you might consider putting a longer pull rope on. If you go back through the last couple of years threads the one issue that comes up for Eskimo is the pull ropes are too short and can cause damage to the recoil when over pulled.

You might also try putting some Crazy Glue on the knot (or shrink tubing) so your problem will KNOT return.

Have a great season
Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM

yup you should be able to just remove the rewind from the top and get the end of the pull line back out the hole and put your handle on and reknot. Or buy a Jiffy lol
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I have the same auger. I went to the garage last night and tied another knot in the rope. Thanks for the heads up. Hope you get your auger fixed soon.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM

When you get the rope back through the handle and re-tie your knot, melt the tag end with a lighter so you get a nice ball on it. Will help to keep the knot from slipping on you again. As far as the actual fix, pull the recoil off, find the end of the rope and stick it back through the hole. Test pull it off the machine to see if it will rewind all the way back in when fully extended. Sometimes they unwind a little bit and all you need to do is let the rope back in all the way, wind the recoil up a couple of turns and try it again. Hope that helps...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Called Eskimo this morning,

Me: Hi, I bought a Z71 about 6 months ago, Last time out the cord sucked into the recoil ,

Eskimo : Can you send me the serial # and we will send you out a new Recoil at N/C

Me: Really, Just like that .... No hassle ?

Eskimo : Again we would like to thank you for using our products, I will also send you a free T-Shirt

Me: Really ? Well ty .... Have a good day.

Eskimo : Again thanks for your purchase ! Have a great day !

Wow, Eskimo had almost a no question warranty on this item, I'm now again very thankful for buying Better quality !

Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM

I just got a new Eskimo, used it a couple times now in the past couple weeks and so far I love it. First thing I'm doing when I get home tonight is tying another knot in the rope! lol
Old 01-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbadass View Post
called eskimo this morning,

me: hi, i bought a z71 about 6 months ago, last time out the cord sucked into the recoil ,

eskimo : can you send me the serial # and we will send you out a new recoil at n/c

me: really, just like that .... No hassle ?

eskimo : again we would like to thank you for using our products, i will also send you a free t-shirt

me: really ? Well ty .... Have a good day.

eskimo : again thanks for your purchase ! Have a great day !

wow, eskimo had almost a no question warranty on this item, i'm now again very thankful for buying better quality !
lol

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 01-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker View Post
I just got a new Eskimo, used it a couple times now in the past couple weeks and so far I love it. First thing I'm doing when I get home tonight is tying another knot in the rope! lol
Good idea lol

Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
lol
I don't care what any one says, Ive used Jiffys, Husqs And My z71 way out performs them ,Not even close And way better quality !

Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
I don't care what any one says, Ive used Jiffys, Husqs And My z71 way out performs them ,Not even close And way better quality !

Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM

Z71 all the way! Heavy but, wow does it cut a hole.