Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
So far, 195 people in China went for a second round (got sick again after recovering the first time).

The WHO is saying that according to their research, about 5% of those who had contact with an infected individual later test positive for the virus themselves.
I've read multiple stories about how we may not all build immunity after infection. also multiple negatives in isolation, then come up with a positive. Scary little bug we got on our hands methinks
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 PM

^ It sure is interesting. I wonder where the market will end today and how much it will pick up tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I've read multiple stories about how we may not all build immunity after infection. also multiple negatives in isolation, then come up with a positive. Scary little bug we got on our hands methinks

Could be even worse than that. Based on what I have read there is the potential for antigens from a previous infection to actually help the virus bind to cells and help with reinfection of an individual. If I can find a link I will post.

I'm worried about Iran right now. Apparently mumbles from inside seem to suggest may be fighting a more deadly form of the virus. I've been monitoring Dr. Campbell on U tube. Apparently he has people in Iranian hospitals sending him firsthand info. He's been keeping details close to the vest but it doesn't sound positive. And one of our last cases in Canada was linked to Iran. Dohhhh!

Dr Campbells channel. Worth watching for a non-sensationalized analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9...xg3QIBupFtBDxg
Old 02-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Wow down over 1000 pts with another 1000 looks like tomorrow
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Most markets were priced for perfection (for years now) so near any excuse could bring them down.

A virus might trigger an economic slowdown (a slowing in the velocity of money) but also force massive spending in healthcare. So like the 90s tech bubble it’s just a reallocation of spending and investment dollars.

That money still circulates, just to different parts of the economy. Instead of say, today’s car dealers and real estate agents making boatloads of money, it will get paid in healthcare overtime and to pharmaceutical companies but then eventually it will flow right back into the general economy.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Most markets were priced for perfection (for years now) so near any excuse could bring them down.

A virus might trigger an economic slowdown (a slowing in the velocity of money) but also force massive spending in healthcare. So like the 90s tech bubble it’s just a reallocation of spending and investment dollars.

That money still circulates, just to different parts of the economy. Instead of say, today’s car dealers and real estate agents making boatloads of money, it will get paid in healthcare overtime and to pharmaceutical companies but then eventually it will flow right back into the general economy.
I'm broke, but if I had money, i'd be investing in 3M, and gold right now.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 PM

The usa is starting to test this week for the virus,only 500 tested so far in all of the usa.

5.5million people hit the subway every day in NY,6 new labs are now going to start checking people across the usa.

They only had 3 labs testing for this virus and if they haven't tested how many came in which they don't have a clue about.

Just makes you think WTH are they doing down south, the usa numbers were to small for traffic in and out.

There has to be at least 50k that went back and forth from china before things were halted,so what the heck.

Figured bloop would be on to this or he will be now.

Maybe why the stock market had a hiccup today.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 02-24-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
The usa is starting to test this week for the virus,only 500 tested so far in all of the usa.

5.5million people hit the subway every day in NY,6 new labs are now going to start checking people across the usa.

They only had 3 labs testing for this virus and if they haven't tested how many came in which they don't have a clue about.

Just makes you think WTH are they doing down south, the usa numbers were to small for traffic in and out.

There has to be at least 50k that went back and forth from china before things were halted,so what the heck.

Figured bloop would be on to this or he will be now.

Maybe why the stock market had a hiccup today.

JD
I recently posted that I was surprised that only 3 states in the US had the capability for testing. Lack of testing is a huge factor in trying to get a true feeling of what is going on. Italy was looking like a true pulse, but they have run out of diagnostic kits, so numbers are going to be out of whack now as well. Not due to lack of truth, just lack of ability to test. Obviously the writing is on the wall now, just not able to tell how bad things truly are/could be with much accuracy yet, due to lack of a GOOD set of data. I think the stock market has had their head in the sand, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see where this is going. Finally starting to see that writing on the wall, and adjustments are being made.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-25-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I recently posted that I was surprised that only 3 states in the US had the capability for testing. Lack of testing is a huge factor in trying to get a true feeling of what is going on. Italy was looking like a true pulse, but they have run out of diagnostic kits, so numbers are going to be out of whack now as well. Writing is on the wall, just not able to tell how bad things truly are/could be.
I was watching Tucker on Fox and I thought he was making a mistake talking about the virus.

This surprised me more then anything I have read, hell man there's lots people who may have snuck by.

Well this week six labs going,why this long or not more is way beyond me.

A very dangerous place is Macau with 65000 per square mile being the gambling capitol in Asia, the next stop is Vegas or Atlantic city since they shut it down and how many split earlier on. Gambling addicts don't want to miss the action .No one wants to go on a gambling cruises ,so this why I bring up Macua and such.

It could well be all is good also,but I just found this very odd on the testing labs being only 3.

JD
Old 02-25-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I was watching Tucker on Fox and I thought he was making a mistake talking about the virus.

This surprised me more then anything I have read, hell man there's lots people who may have snuck by.

A very dangerous place is Macau with 65000 per square mile being the gambling capitol in Asia, the next stop is Vegas or Atlantic city since they shut it down and how many split earlier on. Gambling addicts don't want to miss the action .No one wants to go on gambling cruises ,so this why I bring up Macua and such.

It could well be all is good also,but I just found this very odd on the testing labs being only 3.

JD
I've also been closely watching population density in countries with confirmed cases, as that has a huge impact on transmission rate. I keep thinking Canada is pretty safe, only 4 people per sq km. But in reality, we just have a lot of unpopulated land. Majority of our population is packed fairly tightly in only a few major cities....
Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Interestingly enough 3M is almost at its yearly low. And since Jan has dropped almost 30$, i believe its around 150$ right now whereas last year at peak around 220. Just seems interesting that since January basically since the virus made more news the 3M stock has been dropping. You would think the opposite
Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:

A very dangerous place is Macau with 65000 per square mile being the gambling capitol in Asia, the next stop is Vegas or Atlantic city since they shut it down and how many split earlier on. Gambling addicts don't want to miss the action .No one wants to go on a gambling cruises ,so this why I bring up Macua and such.

JD
Your first mistake is watching the Fox entertainment channel for anything to do with Covid19. This infection will be bad enough without those clowns butchering it even further. BBC and DW have been good sources for real information.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Interestingly enough 3M is almost at its yearly low. And since Jan has dropped almost 30$, i believe its around 150$ right now whereas last year at peak around 220. Just seems interesting that since January basically since the virus made more news the 3M stock has been dropping. You would think the opposite
You're right with those numbers. I find that interesting, but they do sell a lot of of different products. Just threw that out there knowing they produce masks and filters. Maybe not the best route! I heard China was setting up factories for masks, like they did with the hospitals in like 1 week timeframe. Working off my phone today, so no link for story.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Your first mistake is watching the Fox entertainment channel for anything to do with Covid19. This infection will be bad enough without those clowns butchering it even further. BBC and DW have been good sources for real information.
I watch more then one channel and I double check it on otther sites, no one is going to lie about the amount of labs in the usa, I do watch bbc and I won't post anything again with you fear mongering paranoid people.

JD
Old 02-25-2020, 01:09 PM

What a coincidence that the Iranian health official telling everyone not to worry about Covid 19 ends up being infected. As bad as China was, the middle east could end up being worse......
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/corona...d-19-1.5474869
Old 02-25-2020, 03:16 PM

"We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad," said Dr Nancy Messonnier of the National Center for Immunisation and Respiratory Diseases in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.
"It's not so much a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen," she said, adding: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51637481
Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM

So a US company called Moderna is saying they may have a vaccine but with FDA regs it could take years. You would think that the gov't could make it happen quickly if they really wanted to.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Not me for gold anyway, it is at a 7 year high.

You missed the boat on that one I think.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
What a coincidence that the Iranian health official telling everyone not to worry about Covid 19 ends up being infected. As bad as China was, the middle east could end up being worse......
Watched that video, haha man! He was literally dying on stage saying nothing to see here! Oh boy.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
So a US company called Moderna is saying they may have a vaccine but with FDA regs it could take years. You would think that the gov't could make it happen quickly if they really wanted to.
Something like a vaccine takes a long time. Even if we had an answer right now, you can't just push it through. Long term effects need to be studied before you go injecting hundreds of million people with what 'should be okay'. Also will take a long time to produce it, once approved. Can't tell you how many times I've had to say 'this doesn't work', and the response has been 'well it works in the model'....
Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
That's what happened with thalidomide back in the 60's. Rushing with new drugs is a pretty hard sell with all the lawyers around.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:27 PM

For all those that look at just the percentage of people who die with these infections just remember that this is what recovery can look like.......

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/she...ers-1.24081684
Old 02-25-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Something like a vaccine takes a long time. Even if we had an answer right now, you can't just push it through. Long term effects need to be studied before you go injecting hundreds of million people with what 'should be okay'. Also will take a long time to produce it, once approved. Can't tell you how many times I've had to say 'this doesn't work', and the response has been 'well it works in the model'....
Yep there are side effect from the sars drug.. they have fragile bones now.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Oh Middle East will be bad, already taking hold. Baihran? Never even heard of it before, but it's hitting up big numbers quick. Over a billion population I believe? Like said earlier, working away today, so just on my phone. Tomorrow I will look at some new stats. India is where its at. Game changer.
I just think they aren't reporting, or don't have the ability to properly diagnose. Not for one second do I think it has not gained a strong foothold there.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Oh Middle East will be bad, already taking hold. Baihran? Never even heard of it before, but it's hitting up big numbers quick. Over a billion population I believe?.

Or 1.5 million but hey, why quibble over 985,000,000.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or 1.5 million but hey, why quibble over 985,000,000.
Nope totally my bad on that one. Looks like 1.7 million. Like I said, working with just my phone today. Sorry on that
Old 02-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Not me for gold anyway, it is at a 7 year high.

You missed the boat on that one I think.
Agreed, sold almost all of mine.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 PM

Good site for up to date #Coronavirus numbers;
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 PM

So everyone can stand down....Rush Limbaugh (medal of freedom winner) has announced that Covid 19 is nothing more than the common cold. It's just being made into a big deal to bring down Trump...... I wonder if his lung cancer got to his brain through his a**.

https://www.insider.com/rush-limbaug...t-trump-2020-2
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So everyone can stand down....Rush Limbaugh (medal of freedom winner) has announced that Covid 19 is nothing more than the common cold. It's just being made into a big deal to bring down Trump...... I wonder if his lung cancer got to his brain through his a**.

https://www.insider.com/rush-limbaug...t-trump-2020-2
Still trying to get my head wrapped around what to make of all this as the way news flows so rapidly these days it's a complicated ordeal to weed through it all. There seems to be those that are maybe a touch apathetic and those that would gladly see the world burn as long as they can tell everyone how smart they were all along.

Right now I feel the best course of action is to have a few things on hand if crap hits the fan but I'm not willing to go full prepper. The biggest concern for me is what to do with the retirement stuff. I'm no wealthy man by any means or a financial guru but putting things into cash seems awfully expensive with the tax implications. Maybe this is an opportunity to pull funds and re invest at a low I don't know.