Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM

Default tire pressures for ez loader boat trailer

folks,

what is the pressure for boat trailer tires?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM

The tire pressure should be on the wall of the tire.

It is the tire and not the trailer that determines your pressure.

I have a Karavan trailer similiar to ez loaders I believe. I have a 20' Bayliner.

I also have the recommended PSI for all sizes of both bias ply and radial tires.

If you give me the tire size, ply rating and max load I can tell you the PSI you should have in your tires.

Having said all that, if you can give me the above info off of your tire, the recommended PSI will be right beside it on your tire.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Default Carlisle Sport Trailer Tire 4.80X12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post

I have a Karavan trailer similiar to ez loaders I believe. I have a 20' Bayliner.

I also have the recommended PSI for all sizes of both bias ply and radial tires.

If you give me the tire size, ply rating and max load I can tell you the PSI you should have in your tires.

Having said all that, if you can give me the above info off of your tire, the recommended PSI will be right beside it on your tire.
Thanks, it is Carlisle Sport Trailer Tire 4.80X12, Max 60psi on the wall
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.DENG View Post
Thanks, it is Carlisle Sport Trailer Tire 4.80X12, Max 60psi on the wall
If that was my boat/trailer - I'd fill it to 50 psi on a cool tire. Like will come up a few pounds when warm. That's usually what I do and I seem to get decent wear and life out of the tires on my trailers.

Checking tire pressure, wear and bearings is something that more people towing trailers should do.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If that was my boat/trailer - I'd fill it to 50 psi on a cool tire. Like will come up a few pounds when warm. That's usually what I do and I seem to get decent wear and life out of the tires on my trailers.

Checking tire pressure, wear and bearings is something that more people towing trailers should do.
maybe add to that making sure the weight being carried does not exceed the trailer's capacity, and that the tongue weight is correct. I hate following folks whose trailers are swimming all over the road.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
maybe add to that making sure the weight being carried does not exceed the trailer's capacity, and that the tongue weight is correct. I hate following folks whose trailers are swimming all over the road.
Yes - great point.

Height of hitch (angle of trailer itself), weight distribution, and axle distance, tongue weight and speed are all factors which impact sway on trailers.

In almost every trailer I've owned there has been some subtle adjustments made (easiest is the height of hitch using different drops from truck) and weight distribution of "stuff" inside boat or trailer.

My last boat trailer I had to slide the axle back just a touch to eliminate the squirleyness at higher speeds towing with my F150 which didn't seem to happen with my GMC 1500.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Agreed those small tires warm up fast on a hot summer day on the hiway.

Mack
Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:

EZM is right on the $$$...great answer!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post

You sure? On your vehicle you go by the specs for the truck, not what's on the tire, no? I admit I'm negligent because I'm just running the tires that came with the trailer and boat when I bought them last year. I'm assuming everything matches but I really should total up the weight of the boat, engines, trailer and gear and make sure the tires are rated to handle them.