Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM

Default WWS Southside - Poor Service & the "List"

I just have to share this. Was at the Edmonton WWS southisde yesterday afternoon. Picked out a few items, and went to the cashier. A line up of some 7 people, with one cashier working. The older fellow being served at the cashier was buying about six boxes of ammo, all different brands. I assumed that he was trying to find which brand patterns best in his gun.

The clerk was laborously writing down each box of ammo on a list, and with each box, requested to see the PAL, and then wrote down that info as well.

I stood in line for some 15 minutes while this process was going on. Several more people joined the line, and were waiting as well.

Finally, I just went to the cashier, put my items on the counter, and said, "Thanks for the service" and walked out. When I got to my car, I noticed two more people that were in line with me had done the same, since they had no bag. I could not believe the complete lack of service!

Finally, what's with the list? WWS southside at least seems to be keeping one!

Vic
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM

Thumbs down

Calgary store is lousy service and taken info whats that about thought they just needed to see your card not take info
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM

I would have to disagree. Good staff at WWS. Maybe you ran into a new hire? Most stores will write down your name if you are buying powder.
They have to, it's the law. You should only have to show a PAL to buy ammo. I would call the manager and politely ask what the actual policy is.

FYI I have seen similar posts (elsewhere) about Bass Pro and Cabela's doing the same. Not all staff are gun people. We all have to learn our jobs while doing them. Maybe it was just an innocent mistake.

Why don't you call and find out what the store policy really is?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM

They must change the policy daily then.....I was there just last week and bought some 44mag ammo, showed my card and that was it. No "list" was filled out.....

LC
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I would have to disagree. Good staff at WWS. Maybe you ran into a new hire? Most stores will write down your name if you are buying powder.
They have to, it's the law. You should only have to show a PAL to buy ammo. I would call the manager and politely ask what the actual policy is.

FYI I have seen similar posts (elsewhere) about Bass Pro and Cabela's doing the same. Not all staff are gun people. We all have to learn our jobs while doing them. Maybe it was just an innocent mistake.

x2, talk to the manager. Maybe a new hire and doesn't understand the policy etc.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM

I've also never filled out anything. Showed the PAL and thats it. Last Fri to be exact
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They must change the policy daily then.....I was there just last week and bought some 44mag ammo, showed my card and that was it. No "list" was filled out.....

LC
X2 I was there last night and picked up a few boxes of 9mm ammo and nothing was recorded, I was at wholesale sports north just the night prior and bought two lbs of gun powder which the guy logged but no PAL info was taken... The guy asked where I was from and asked me to write my name down ..... "John Doe"
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Honestly these threads complaining about service at wholesale, cabelas, etc... Are getting a little old. Do you think coming on here and complaining is going to solve the problem?? No! If you are unhappy talk to the manager in the store and get the problem resolved instead of throwing a hissy fit and marching out of the store and complaining later.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
FYI I have seen similar posts (elsewhere) about Bass Pro and Cabela's doing the same. Not all staff are gun people. We all have to learn our jobs while doing them. Maybe it was just an innocent mistake. I bought ammo at Cabela's on the weekend and nothing was recorded. I work at Bass Pro and nothing is recorded for ammo purchases there either.

Sounds like some sound advice.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
Honestly these threads complaining about service at wholesale, cabelas, etc... Are getting a little old. Do you think coming on here and complaining is going to solve the problem?? No! If you are unhappy talk to the manager in the store and get the problem resolved instead of throwing a hissy fit and marching out of the store and complaining later.
I have e-mailed WSS several times about their lack of service and items which I have been waiting over a year to get (they never restocked... still waiting).

They don't care at all - the way wholesale is ran is an absolute joke, and if I had any other option I would boycott the sh*t out of it.

Stupid Wholesale sports.. Employees are typically great, but I certainly can't say the same thing about management practices.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Yeah I have to say that in the last couple of years they've fired/retired a lot of the jacka**es that used to work there and brought in some people that are actually friendly and helpful. Not always very knowledgable, but a good attitude goes a long way if that's the case.

There are still a few donkeys working in the firearms counter, but the fly fishing dept. are on Red Bull and happy pills!

The biggest problem is inventory control. The problem is: They have none... If they could just get their heads straight about having items in stock. There's no excuse for running out of popular, regularly priced items...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
x2, talk to the manager. Maybe a new hire and doesn't understand the policy etc.

don't know if that is an accurate statement.

there are more than enough threads on here clearly documenting the extremely poor service that people have received from wss. i have spoken to the manager at the north side wss (garry winjack?) in the past regarding the crappy services from wss and was brushed off. last time i spoke with the manager of the ss wss about the poor service, i made a comment about how i would not be shopping at wss once cabela's opened up and was told to "go ahead."

in fact, wasn't there a new manager from wss posting here a few months ago indicating that he was trying to turn around things at wss and wanted people to contact him directly with their concerns over wss so he could address such concerns directly??? if he is still around, i'd like to hear his perspective.

at any rate, after getting ****ty service from wss, i am letting my wallet doing the talking and am not shopping there anymore.

fooled once, their issue; fooled twice, my issue; fooled three times, i am an idiot and deserve it

Last edited by gregc; 08-22-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Default untrained staff/or don't care

The Grand Prairie store is no better.Three counter people didn't know one bullet caliber from the other .After 10 min of explaining what I wanted got Pi$$ed off so walked out.And to top it all off they were stored behind the counter..No Sale Sports.........Harold
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

I get excellent service there. The staff at the gun counter have always been great. I do agree about their inventory...it sucks. Not sure where the fault of that lies though. Not the frontline staff.

And I've bought ammo there lots, and never had my name written down...if they did it would be the last time I bought there.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM

I ordered a rifle in the lethbridge store and knew they had it in stock in Calgary. Guy said it would be there in a week , but after two I started to phone them daily. I went there to see when it would be in and get my money back as I had paid upfront. They never had a clue when it would be there and never even seamed to care. Offered me an I store credit for a return. Went home and phoned the Calgary store and asked about the gun. They had one left in stock and had never received an order for it from lethbridge store. They shipped it and it was there in 2 days. Long story short is u can't get good help that often. This was a employee problem obviously as they never put the order in! I will never order a gun from them unless its on the shelf. I guess those 2500 dollar sales must be piddly shot for them to turn a blind eye?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Wholesale North.South.Calgary, Basspro, Cabelas, Fishin Hole, P&D blah blah blah.

Dont matter where a person goes, they cant please everybody. Doesnt do a bit of good to come onto a internet forum where alot dont have a thick enough skin to play anyways, and rant about poor service that one individual received out of how many hundreds walked thought they're doors that day.

Like really......

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 08-22-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 AM

It's a common theme for sure. Doesn't seem like they even try. Or maybe we're a really hard to please crowd.

I just wish they'd quit hiring "retail sales people" and get some actual enthusiasts in there.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I just wish they'd quit hiring "retail sales people" and get some actual enthusiasts in there.
real enthusiasts cost more and may be inclined to "correct" customer's perceived faults.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Wholesale North.South.Calgary, Basspro, Cabelas, Fishin Hole, P&D blah blah blah.

Dont matter where a person goes, they cant please everybody. Doesnt do a bit of good to come onto a internet forum where alot dont have a thick enough skin to play anyways, and rant about poor service that one individual received out of how many hundreds walked thought they're doors that day.

Like really......
You know what? The OP has every right to share his/her shopping experience with the members of the forum. Yes WSS has been talked to death but the thread was clearly labelled as pertaining to WSS. If you're tired of hearing about it maybe it's more constructive to just not open the thread.

Like really.......
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
don't know if that is an accurate statement.

there are more than enough threads on here clearly documenting the extremely poor service that people have received from wss. i have spoken to the manager at the north side wss (garry winjack?) in the past regarding the crappy services from wss and was brushed off. last time i spoke with the manager of the ss wss about the poor service, i made a comment about how i would not be shopping at wss once cabela's opened up and was told to "go ahead."

in fact, wasn't there a new manager from wss posting here a few months ago indicating that he was trying to turn around things at wss and wanted people to contact him directly with their concerns over wss so he could address such concerns directly??? if he is still around, i'd like to hear his perspective.

at any rate, after getting ****ty service from wss, i am letting my wallet doing the talking and am not shopping there anymore.

fooled once, their issue; fooled twice, my issue; fooled three times, i am an idiot and deserve it

Your statement is not true at all. There are many more people who shop at WSS or whereever who are completely satisfied with the service but do not feel the need to come on here and talk about it.

Also my comment stated maybe it was a new employee, never stated as fact that she was a new employee so how can it be even graded as true or false.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
You know what? The OP has every right to share his/her shopping experience with the members of the forum. Yes WSS has been talked to death but the thread was clearly labelled as pertaining to WSS. If you're tired of hearing about it maybe it's more constructive to just not open the thread.

Like really.......
You know what, the OP has no "Right" to do anything on this board, same as the rest of us. We are here as guests of the owner of this site and as such can be removed.

Like really.........
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Like really.......
didn't say he wasn't entitled to an opinion of his bad experience...just stating it doesn't do any good. Especiallyconsidering some of the stores that get ranted on.... Are part of the reason the AO magazine and forum exist.

Seems your still sour about something.....we can fix that?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Gone Hunting

I have had poor service at different places at different times. I refuse to walk out ans be pist off the rest of the day over someone who doesn't know what's going on or doesn't care.

I get the manager. He can educate or get rid of the employee. Either way my next experience may be better.

I went into the optics dept looking for some high end binos. Thing is all the stores pretty much sell the same thing, so I can shop anywhere. Two guys propping each other up behind the counter and ignoring me. I asked for help and got attitude for interrupting there gabfest.
I asked if they were going to be there for a while.

"yes, Why?"
"I'm going to find the manager , I'll be right back."

They looked like my lab when he ignores me and the collar ticks him.

I found the manager and asked him to call 911 as two guys were in a coma in the optics department.

He sent them off the floor to the dunce corner I guess. and asked if he could help. I said maybe next time, this time I'll head over to the competition.

Whine if you must, shop elsewhere if you think that will 'teach them a lesson' or light a fire under their butts. at least you'll feel better when you post about it on AO.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

I started working in gunshop when I was 13.

I loved guns, but still knew very little in comparison to my elders who frequented the business.

I don't know if things have changed, but the customers always took time to help me out and add to my gun education.

The owner and managers were also very helpful.

Maybe we can do the same for a enthusiastic youngster.

Then there are some kids that could care less.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
didn't say he wasn't entitled to an opinion of his bad experience...just stating it doesn't do any good. Especiallyconsidering some of the stores that get ranted on.... Are part of the reason the AO magazine and forum exist.

Seems your still sour about something.....we can fix that?
If that's a threat then fill your boots. If you're interested in defending AO sponsors then that's fine, it's the way the business runs. But I don't think you should be criticizing someone for sharing a shopping experience. If the sponsors paid attention to this forum his concerns would have been addressed LONG before he went to their store.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM

I went to McDonald and my egg micmuffin was cold...
So I left it and will never go back ...
There are three sides to every story your side , their side and somewhere in the middle...
Why does everyone who thinks they are having poor service have to write about it and complain?
There will be 10 guys who go into that very same store and have nothing but a positive experience with that very same sales rep.
Tight Groups,
Rob
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
If that's a threat then fill your boots. If you're interested in defending AO sponsors then that's fine, it's the way the business runs. But I don't think you should be criticizing someone for sharing a shopping experience. If the sponsors paid attention to this forum his concerns would have been addressed LONG before he went to their store.

That's one opinion.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Really Shawn? Getting snarky at people for their opinion on a INTERNET forum while defending another persons opinion wont win you any friends. ABB was just pointing out that this kind of rant, is like beating a dead horse. Repeatedly. With a stick that broke. From beating it. Non-stop. Incessantly......... Get the picture?

I've had terrible service at many of the companies listed above, good service too. My rants go to my wife. Why? because she actually gives a sh*t and that is what she is there for. But even she gets tired of the same ol' rants about the same darn things at the same darn places. I dont blame her.

P.S. Hey ABB - think we can get that beating a dead horse emoticon on here like CGN has?

Last edited by MadMarty911; 08-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Banned

I hate it when I am wrong and the staff is right.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I went to wss in Edmonton and picked up 6 box 223 and 2 boxes of .45 and no pal shown or asked for... each cashier is a different scenario