Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Duck Lake, BC

I'm taking the family camping down to the Creston area in June and would love to fish Duck Lake for some largemouth. Question is, is the lake fishable from shore? I have a 14' Lund but don't think I'll be taking it down as I will already be pulling out trailer. Thanks in advance

"She'll go"
Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 PM

There is a road that goes along it and you could cast from shore but I am not sure what your chances of actually catching would be. Note you need a special permit to fish Duck Lake as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 PM

Unhappy

There is a few good places to fish from shore either on channel Rd or 3a there is a place to park across from Sidars store and you can walk down or follow 3A a little farther to the outlet and fish there it is a bit of a walk either way. If it has been raining watch out for channel Rd has some deep mud holes. And as ravyac said make sure you get permit . If you do take a boat there are no motors allowed. I use belly boats or I have a 12 ft pelican Jon boat easy to slide down the hill.

Mack
Old 03-27-2016, 12:05 PM

Seems to me there is no bass retention til Jun15th on there. May pay to double check that.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Default Duck

Wouldn't waste time from shore it'll be far too shallow. Deepest is like 12'. Bugs are super bad at that time. It gets closed down at times they are so bad depending on the year.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Seems to me there is no bass retention til Jun15th on there. May pay to double check that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Wouldn't waste time from shore it'll be far too shallow. Deepest is like 12'. Bugs are super bad at that time. It gets closed down at times they are so bad depending on the year.
Half the fun of bass is catching very seldom keep them .

It is not a waste of time fishing from shore you can still catch lots.

Bug are bad that time of year but that is part of fishing

You can also fish perch while your there.

Mack
Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 AM

Thumbs up

I'm going for bass in BC this year too....last time I was there you could keep 4 per day and they taste just like perch & walleye....I've caught some in the past that were over 5 pounds and seen bigger that wouldn't bite...I can't wait.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM

You can purchase your permit on-line through the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area web-site. An annual fishing permit is $10. You can also download a 'topo' map of Duck Lake that will give you an idea of where to reach deeper water from shore.

https://www.crestonwildlife.ca/permits

By June, the Creston Valley Wildlife Authority's interpretive/activity centre will be open daily. It's a great facility - very popular with children; lots of hands-on exhibits. They also have a lot of kid-friendly events going on. Check out their calendar of events on their website. If your family is interested in nature trails, they have a great trail system with bird-watching towers - bring your binoculars and a guide book! Lots of cool snakes, banana slugs, turtles and frogs too.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 AM
Banned

I was there this past September
Hit that place 3 times while there and only caught perch from shore.
Where I was there were several tin boats tied up on shore,so I'm sure there is bass I just never saw any.

Beautiful area, spent 10 days, not great fishing altogether but the hospitality of where I stayed couldn't be beat .

Wish you luck
Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 AM

The fishing permit is news for me, haven't been there in about 5-7 yrs. Glad you put that up. Used to launch my pontoon boat at the north end at the pumps. Have to get the timing right as those pumps move a lot of water when running. Have to work fairly hard against them with oars. But , that channel is a good place to fish there.
Bass were meant to be 'et.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I was there this past September
Hit that place 3 times while there and only caught perch from shore.
Where I was there were several tin boats tied up on shore,so I'm sure there is bass I just never saw any.

Beautiful area, spent 10 days, not great fishing altogether but the hospitality of where I stayed couldn't be beat .

Wish you luck
You must have been across the tracks by Sidars if you went a little farther there is a closed road way that leads down to the outlets best place to shore fish.

Mack
Old 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You must have been across the tracks by Sidars if you went a little farther there is a closed road way that leads down to the outlets best place to shore fish.

Mack

Yes I was just past the tracks, I will have to remember that should I end up there this year
Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks for all the great info guys! Heading down in a few weeks. I actually built a truck rack / boat loader for my 14' Lund and will be bringing it down with me now I'll have to find a spot to try and launch it. Here's a few pics of the loader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.7 KB, 111 views)

"She'll go"
Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 AM

The pic uploader thingy isn't working very well for me this morning...but here's one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.0 KB, 109 views)

"She'll go"
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
this is true. It's closed to bass retention from May 15 to June 15. Bugs are awful this year. You do need a permit to access the flats. All of the waters around there hold bass - even the little sloughs and ponds and canals. With your access permit, I'd go on the dike as it's a bit of a walk/haul for your 14 footer at Sirdar.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
this is true. It's closed to bass retention from May 15 to June 15. Bugs are awful this year. You do need a permit to access the flats. All of the waters around there hold bass - even the little sloughs and ponds and canals. With your access permit, I'd go on the dike as it's a bit of a walk/haul for your 14 footer at Sirdar.
Do you think I'd be able to get my boat in the water from the dike road on the south end?

"She'll go"
Old 05-25-2016, 02:26 PM

for sure, or there was a "boat launch" farther north along the dike that we used to use. You'd probably need 4wd for that one.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Default duck lake

Not to hijack the thread but I was on Windermere last week and the bass were hungry. Hitting the Rebel frog in 3-4 feet of water once it warmed up around 3p.

IMG_5454.jpg

whatliesbeneath.jpg
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
for sure, or there was a "boat launch" farther north along the dike that we used to use. You'd probably need 4wd for that one.
There's not a real boat launch there more just a cut out bank but you can slide a 14ft in easy enough 4wd is needed most of the time

Mack
Old 05-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope whisperer View Post
Not to hijack the thread but I was on Windermere last week and the bass were hungry. Hitting the Rebel frog in 3-4 feet of water once it warmed up around 3p.

Attachment 122002

Attachment 122003
Nice! I caught my first largie outta Windermere a few years back. So much fun!!

"She'll go"
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the info! I am pumped!!

"She'll go"
Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post
Oh, I'd bring a set of gum boots to launch as it may be quite muddy - that sticky, clay muck.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post
i was there this spring, those channels are shallow and lots of weed, launch at Sirdar not far to haul a boat with two guys.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:37 AM

The "boat launch" there is a long, bumpy ride, the road is no prizewinner. Have to come in from the south end and head over to the dike on the west side, it is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the northwest corner. Depending on the water level and the weed height, it is quite possibly dicy to launch there, not a bunch of room to park, either. Only one way in or out, unless the gate at Sirdar is open, you go back the way you came. You could possibly go around to the pumps at the north end and launch in the pump channel, maybe. I don't have a clear pic in my mind of what that area was like, last time in there was near 10 yrs ago. Not a place with a shallow bank by there as I remember, and if the pumps start up, it has a pretty good flow there, don't be leaving the boat untied.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
The "boat launch" there is a long, bumpy ride, the road is no prizewinner. Have to come in from the south end and head over to the dike on the west side, it is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the northwest corner. Depending on the water level and the weed height, it is quite possibly dicy to launch there, not a bunch of room to park, either. Only one way in or out, unless the gate at Sirdar is open, you go back the way you came. You could possibly go around to the pumps at the north end and launch in the pump channel, maybe. I don't have a clear pic in my mind of what that area was like, last time in there was near 10 yrs ago. Not a place with a shallow bank by there as I remember, and if the pumps start up, it has a pretty good flow there, don't be leaving the boat untied.
They rebuilt the pumps 2 years ago it is all different now. There is no gate at Sidars and no way to get truck near water there.

Mack
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Success! Caught 3 nice largemouth in a couple hours...and my 4 year old daughter caught 2 perch we were the only ones out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.2 KB, 97 views)

"She'll go"
Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 PM

Here's a actual fish lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.8 KB, 139 views)

"She'll go"
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.8 KB, 98 views)

"She'll go"
Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 PM

nice
Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Default Duck lake

Any know how duck lake is doing this year