Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Gold Panners

So how many Gold panners are one here.....Its something i have taken an interest in lately because my Oldest son is obsessed by it and sure is a cheap hobby .
He recently purchased a High Banker as well.
We just got back from the Fraser fishing and panning then played around Barkerville.
Mixed feelings about Barkerville..
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 AM

Default gold panner

I do some prospecting and have done panning as well. I actually have a gold stream running by one of my trapline cabins.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM

We did not strike it rich. hehehe

Dang gotta watch Panning near Bakersville. Lota claims in that country.

My son named this place the "Secret Spot"

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 06-26-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I do some prospecting and have done panning as well. I actually have a gold stream running by one of my trapline cabins.
Do you find much in that stream?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:46 PM

I am a hobby panner also. Since I have retired its one of the few things that gives me serious excersize This year I built a small rocker box - hoping its a little easier on the back.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Suspended User

Yup. Licensed and all
Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Gonna bring my pan to the island this summer. Just gotta re-check where I can go
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Is it worth panning in Alberta, or do you need to go to BC? From everything Ive heard there's not much gold in Alberta rivers/creeks/streams. Would be a fun hobby for the kids.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-26-2018, 04:59 PM

Red Bullets, on this forum would be a great source of info regarding Gold Panning. Hope he chimes in.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post

That pic is Golden.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM

I do a bit around the Edmonton area. Im still a rookie trying to dial in my sluice, but one day I'll get it right.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Is it worth panning in Alberta, or do you need to go to BC? From everything Ive heard there's not much gold in Alberta rivers/creeks/streams. Would be a fun hobby for the kids.
Should be some in North Sask river. I do believe at one time there was some operation around Ft. La Corne east of PA. Did a Google years ago thats where found some info. You just may pick up a diamond as well. lol.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Panning here involves classifying down to incredibly fine. I classify down to what I call no-see-um fine. The finest window screen will work.
You can find gold in the major rivers downstream from where the ancient river beds are crossed. Find old gravel pits and you are closing in.
Best you can hope for is an ounce per couple of tonnes of shovelling. So expect lots of blisters, and lots of on lookers with questions.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 PM

I pan the Red Deer occasionally. Find flour gold. Nothing off any significance but fun afternoon.

Would like to get a sluice but just haven't yet. Going to try panning in Alaska this summer.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post

A day on the river with your boy? You've already struck it rich.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Default gold pan

Devon gravel bars are very poplar pan area on North Saskatchewan. Some guys earn wages. No comment on my secret stream.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Where do you figure "Prospector's Point" got it's name from? I'm on a couple of Facebook groups of gold panner's/ prospector's. Here is a popular www one. Canadian Prospectors FORUM. Also agpa.com. Both have alot of Alberta gold panner's as members.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Red Bullets, on this forum would be a great source of info regarding Gold Panning. Hope he chimes in.
Thanks for the comment Salavee.

So....
I believe there still is good gold to be found but you have to think outside the box. Like mentioned where the old river beds intersect the NSR is choice. There is such an old river channel that intersects the NSR right in edmonton. Just on the west side of groat road below the old provincial museum. That old river channel runs north towards Villeneuve where the gravel operations yeild several pounds of gold annually(moving thousands of yards). Another old channel is south of Stony plain. Another old river channel intersect is south of Vegreville. The sandbars along the NSR below these old channels that are exposed at low water can have a good amount of color. If you can find the old channel gravels it could be good drifting into the gravels. One fellow mentioned back in the 1940's he was mining a great sandbar below one of the intersecting old channels making a 1/4 ounce a day with a rocker and manual sluice until freeze up. He went back in the spring and the sandbar was gone never to return. High spring waters moved the whole bar.

Geologists believe the heaviest concentrations of gold in the NSR are between South of Stony plain to Ft. Saskatchewan but prospectors do mine all the way
to Lloydminister.

Great examples of thinking outside the box....
-in the early 1900's there was a fellow working a bench half way up the slope on Whitemud creek in Edmonton. He was getting 1/2 ounce a day with a manual rocker and sluice. I believe he was toting the gravel down to the creek bottom to have the water to work with.

(I mentioned this in my tidbit thread but will mention it here)

-A mention of one site that was mined for gold on a flat next to the NSR. There was not much of "drifting" happening on the North Sask river. Drifting was digging a shaft into a bank or a pit down and then drifting off sideways at different levels.

An average sample taken from a river flat underneath which miners had been drifting during winters for many years was assayed in 1896. I believe the
miners worked at the 'drifting' in winter because water levels would have been low and less of a problem. Here in Alberta we don't have permafrost and below 8 feet or so would be unfrozen and minable.

For perspective...
Gold was 20 dollars an ounce in 1896. 150 heaping round mouth shovelfulls in a cubic yard (27 cubic feet). About 1.5 to 1.7 tons in a cubic yard of gravel.

"The first level was 20 feet of surface and subsoil assaying out to 50 cents per ton. The second level was 9 inches of hardpan assaying to nil. The third level was 3 1/2 feet assaying to 2.50 per ton." This assay shows that level 3 at today's prices would be around 150 bucks a ton. A ton is about 100 shovelfuls. At today's gold prices that would be 1.50 per shovelful.

I am aware of a mineral testhole that shows 85 grams (2.8 ounces) of gold per ton close to the NSR upstream of Edmonton. They only problem is there is 85 feet of overburden on it.

I guess without spinning more yarn I would just say that gold is where you find it. Although dredges and hand miners had this river staked for some years they certainly didn't find all the concentrated areas. The dredges worked to 18 feet deep on the river bottom and did chew up lots of shoreline so don't be afraid to look for areas that are not right on the shorelines. During high water and floods gold gets distributed behind tree roots, old fallen logs or grass and moss roots on islands too. Some small pockets of gold might be held on the downstream side of big rocks too. Gold might have been dropped 30 feet above the river on a bench. The flood of 1895 the river rose 43 feet. Later floods and yearly high water redistribute the surface gold constantly. The deeper gold has been sitting, waiting to be found.

I have also found fine gold and black sand in different tributaries miles from where they enter the NSR. These tributaries were a hundred and fifty feet higher than the river bottom level. There was a homesteader my Dad knew that hand mined a tributary of a tributary of the NSR in the 1920's and made good gold.

Good luck prospectors. Hopefully one of the prospectors will post some good results for their efforts.

My best effort on the river was in the 1980's when I found a big old cottonwood log half submerged along a shoreline. That log was there for a long, long time submerged. The log was perpendicular to the shoreline with the upstream side covered in sand. I dug the gravels behind and under the downstream side of the log for one full day and got 10 grams.(1/3rd of an ounce) Moved about 2 yards, about 300 shovelfuls. Hard work.

It is estimated that more than 2000 lbs. of gold has been taken from the NSR since the 1860's. From as far upstream as Drayton Valley to the Sask border. Today, Alberta produces 60 to 75 kgs. of gold annually.

~~~

Again, gold is where you find it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-01-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:06 PM

I have 3-4 decent claims in the Barkerville area.
If ur in the area and just want to wet a pan, let me know.
One claim is just below Devils Canyon before Jack of Clubs Lake, 1-2 km off pavement on a old dirt rd.
I was there June 17-18, wish I had a week or 2, but soon soon, upon retirement.

TBark
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM

I might hit you up TBark in the future if i'm in the Barkerville area!
Old 07-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I have 3-4 decent claims in the Barkerville area.
If ur in the area and just want to wet a pan, let me know.
One claim is just below Devils Canyon before Jack of Clubs Lake, 1-2 km off pavement on a old dirt rd.
I was there June 17-18, wish I had a week or 2, but soon soon, upon retirement.

TBark
I have access to a Keene 6" floating twin sluice dredge if you ever want to work a claim with one. I've had it flown to Quesnel when I worked a claim up the Little Swift river south of Cottonwood ranch. It can move up to 12 yards an hour. Damn, I wish I was younger and still able to work so hard.

Good Luck on the claims.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Cool Red,
My better claims are JOC creek, 1 km from the west end of the lake.
Antler creek, 4 km NE from the Grouse / Antler bridge, and a cool little part cell claim 500M above the working mine at 8 Mile lake.
Hope to be in retirement within 3-4 years, then a full month out there ea year before hunting season.

TBark
Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Sort of neat. Here's an old placer mining map of Alberta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold map.jpg (47.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:43 PM

I forgot to mention, I did a little panning on the Red Deer river by the bridge in Innisfail. Lots of gravel, you can dig down a bit and see the strata layers pretty well. Scrape off the top of the first or second clay layer to find some color. As mentioned, its pretty fine though!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM

For Facebook user's here is a group I ran across this morning. Prospectors Corner Swap N Shop. I see quite a few Albertan's are posting on here.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
I forgot to mention, I did a little panning on the Red Deer river by the bridge in Innisfail. Lots of gravel, you can dig down a bit and see the strata layers pretty well. Scrape off the top of the first or second clay layer to find some color. As mentioned, its pretty fine though!
Thats because all the heavier fines have been already dropped by that point. Go upstream a few