Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Western Gun Parts

I spent my last penny at Western Gun Parts. I am now more disgruntled with them than the old, skinny guy behind the gun counter at WSS.

What gives with that place? No matter how many times I place an order or get info on part availability, the customer service stinks. Every time I have called for a part, I have been met with a personality disorder at the other end of the call. Someone in that office really does not like her job.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Talk to Irv.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Talk to Irv.
x2
Old 04-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Talk to Irv.
X3 If you dont like attitude, dont talk to the girls, ask for Erv.

Last edited by double gun; 04-26-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM

I think next time I go there I'll take some flowers and a box of chocolates.
That's the only known cure for mad cow disease.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Have always had EXCELLENT service no matter who I talked to there. Most were male, one however was female and very good. I have known Irv for 40+ years, great guy, but doesn't tolerate poor service from his staff. If you have problems let him know so he can fix it, far more productive than flaming a great, long time local Alberta business on a web site. It is hard enough to stay in business, particularly now, I want to ensure we support all the local owned that have supported us, our shoots and helped fix our problems for years.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 AM

I agree, Irv is a great guy, but this is not a new experience with this shop. Irv must have some clue about who is answering the phones, and what they are all about.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 AM

We are lucky to have a service like WGP in Canada .......
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have known Irv for 40+ years, great guy, but doesn't tolerate poor service from his staff. .
Could have fooled me.

I NEVER look forward to calling WGP and ALWAYS expect some kind of rude comment or a who cares attitude.

I'm glad we have them, but the service there is very unfortunate.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Could have fooled me.

I NEVER look forward to calling WGP and ALWAYS expect some kind of rude comment or a who cares attitude.

Chuck, I'm glad to know I was not the only person that recived the attitude from WGP.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
...Irv must have some clue about who is answering the phones, and what they are all about.
Its hard to confront family.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 PM

the gals that answer the phones without a doubt know more about guns and gun parts than anyone on this site...lol
Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Girls and Guns and service

After a few of your posts guys I think you had better hope you are right about women not knowing anything about guns. No gender has a corner on the idiot market.

I have had good service there but then again the bar for what we call good service now days has been set fairly low when it comes to fire arms.
It all comes down to what I always say " you can have any attitude you can afford" It seems like western gun parts can afford this attitude.
In the fire arms business now most customers are happy if they find a place they don't have to beg for any service at all.

I am not telling here ,I am just saying.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
After a few of your posts guys I think you had better hope you are right about women not knowing anything about guns. No gender has a corner on the idiot market....
Nobody posted that "the girls dont know anything." The comments were aimed at their attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
It all comes down to what I always say " you can have any attitude you can afford" It seems like western gun parts can afford this attitude...I am not telling here ,I am just saying.
You're right, they can afford to have a bit of attitude...its just too bad some get treated poorly on the phone. They are one of the greatest firearm related companies Canada has.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
gitrdun

Irv is not plagged with PMS or that monthly curse, the girls are.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Most everyone gets treated like a moron when they call there.

The problem is, the vast majority of the phone calls they get from customers are frustrating......

"Hi, I need one of those lever things for my rifle"
"What kind of rifle is it sir?"
"Its a 308"
"What make of rifle is it sir?"
"It's a Browning"
"What model is it ?"
"Bolt action. Hardly has 50 rounds thru it and that lever thing is bent".....

Imagine getting 10-15 of those calls per day.

In person, the ladies are much nicer. Especially when you know what you need. Because they don't.

The unfortunate part about customer service at WGP is.....we need them more than they need us.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Default Wgp

Made my first purchase from WGP on Monday. Needed a clip for my 7-08. I didn’t know the part number for the clip , but the gentleman I’ve talked to, did. Received my clip this morning, great and fast service. Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Default An ancient thread roars back to life...

I just made my first ever order from Western Gun Parts. I was expecting attitude, snarkiness, basically the worst.
Imagine my surprise...the gent who answered the phone was extremely knowledgable, very pleasant, efficient as hell basically. Not an ordeal at all.

Couldn't have gone better.

It's only fair to tell the good stories too, not only the bad ones.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
I just made my first ever order from Western Gun Parts. I was expecting attitude, snarkiness, basically the worst.
Imagine my surprise...the gent who answered the phone was extremely knowledgable, very pleasant, efficient as hell basically. Not an ordeal at all.

Couldn't have gone better.

It's only fair to tell the good stories too, not only the bad ones.

Excellent first post: positive, upbeat; not remotely suspicious as potentially having been posted by a WGP owner or employee.

Welcome to AO!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM

I always make sure I have a serial number handy, and if possible a part number.
Once when I gave a part number for a widjit for a M58 trigger group, the lady on the other end said "where did you get THAT number from"

"Uh, from my Brownell's parts book?"
"Oh, okay, I'll cross referance it"
No sweat, fast ,and stuff gets up here in jig time.
Cat
Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM

My first and only time dealing with wgp, the lady did not sound very happy that she had to answer the phone. I needed a front action screw for savage 111. Gave here model and serial number. As soon as i finished telling here the serial number she.said call back when you have a part number and hung up.

So off I go web searching for a part number. It was hard to find because of changes to action, wood vs synthetic stock. Ended up calling savage, got 2 part numbers as they didn't know exactly which one it was

When I called back I explained how hard it was to find she laughed and said now you know what we deal with all day long. Most people call and ask for parts and after we find them they say oh, I dont want it now. So I guess I understand if sometimes they are not overly happy.

Anyway.... Got the screw as well as a base I couldn't find anywhere else. Package arrived 2 days after I ordered. Definitely will order from them again, and would recommend others to as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Could have fooled me.

I have to agree. Walking thru the doors of WGP always gives the feeling similar to interrupting sex.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM

ive always likened that place to getting a bowl of soup in a seinfeld episode....not ready to order? (dont have your serial number?) BACK OF THE LINE!!! NO SOUP FOR YOU!!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 PM

Simply do your best to figure out the part number by yourself (it is amazin what you can find on the intranets these days) and have your make, model and serial number handy and you will probably have what you need in <48 hours.

Call them with a vague description for a part from a rifle model you are not sure of, and you will probably be SoL. How much time do you expect them to spend trying to find the part number for a $3 screw or pin?

I sell some low priced stuff, and I have to check myself to make sure I am not spending so much time on fulfilling a $12 order that I end up working for $2 / hr.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I have to agree. Walking thru the doors of WGP always gives the feeling similar to interrupting sex.

.......x2 but Irv sure has alot of hard to find stuff. I got my Great Grandfather's Savage 1899B back in the field because of them and I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

I hate calling them as well. I usually end up wondering why I even bothered calling.

I tried calling a couple weeks ago for a few small screws I needed to hold the quarter rib on my Ruger #1.

Instead of asking for more information or taking my name and number, the lady told me that guys werent there and she didnt know.

I'll probably just end up going to a specialty fastner store and picking up screws from them instead. No use paying $4 a screw when I can go get a whole handful of the same ones from a fastner supply store for the same price.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Out of all the places I have had bad service lately, WGP doesnt even make the list. Imagine a world without them. Take a number, wait 2 hrs to talk to someone that know less than nothing about a gun part.... WSS...

I'll take WGP any day. Especially with no deli ticker tape.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM

I have ordered parts several times for a Rem 11-87 and never had a bad experience. The person at the other end of the phone was always polite, calm and knowledgeable. If I was not certin about something, the person would always work it through with me.

Keep in mind, everyone has bad days and when you get bombarded with customers that don't know what they speak of, it can add up by the days end, so, understand.

Also, people bitch about WSS, well, I've been going there since I first owned firearms and although the overall store has changed over the years, I have never had an issue with staff or service. The staff are often busier than heck with a huge non stop lineup at times, and they do their best!

I say, let's hear more positive posts on these Alberta busineses.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rem mag View Post
I say, let's hear more positive posts on these Alberta busineses.
OK.
I've only dealt with WGP once. They kinda blew me off to a local gun shop, but they were polite about it and at least offered a dealer, a name, and a reason they couldn't help me.
I've also never had problems with the gun folks at WSS (in Calgary). I've never had extensive dealings with them, but every time they've been polite and helpful, and usually downright cheerful.

A retailer should never give attitude just because they've had a bad day, or they can 'afford to'. That's a pretty sad commentary about someone's personality. But, as soon as you ask for it, then fair game perhaps.

D
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Default opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have always had EXCELLENT service no matter who I talked to there. Most were male, one however was female and very good. I have known Irv for 40+ years, great guy, but doesn't tolerate poor service from his staff. If you have problems let him know so he can fix it, far more productive than flaming a great, long time local Alberta business on a web site. It is hard enough to stay in business, particularly now, I want to ensure we support all the local owned that have supported us, our shoots and helped fix our problems for years.
Dean I have been to WGP a great many times over the years and only went there as a last resort. IMHO everyday is a PMS day at WGP. The salaries that Irv pays out to his family members out of that business you'd think would keep people just a little bit happy some time during their work day. FS