Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Default Nocturnal Buck problems

Hey everyone, this is my first year bow hunting and have a couple questions for some of the more experienced guys and galls. I have a quarter section property (160 or so acres) that I’ve been planning to bow hunt, I have 2 cameras up at the moment and have a couple bucks, one shooter consistently on camera but always between midnight and 5am, well before or after hunting light. Unfortunately the property is all crown land to the south so we see a lot of tresspassers on quads and dirt bikes that ignore the private property signs and I’m afraid that’s what’s causing this nocturnal habit. I’m just wondering if anyone had any tips to try and break the habit or how to hunt the property and hoepfully catch a deer walking. It’s almost entirely treed with a few small cut lines sectioning it off and some agricultural fields bordering the property on the north if that helps. I’ll try attaching a picture of the buck in question and see what your opinions are about wether it’s a shooter or wait and pray he survives haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF1E4FE6-6858-433B-9F62-7CE57F2C9FE3.jpeg (58.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpeg 48C59D30-7FD6-45B0-89EC-01865F8A7535.jpeg (58.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-15-2022, 09:56 AM

Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
My thoughts as well. Most of the big whitetails I’ve seen, have been in the rut. Their more likely to slip up and be seen during daylight when their thinking about the does.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM

There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. I’ll do some more venturing of the property to see if I can’t find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so I’ll use that to my advantage
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. I’ll do some more venturing of the property to see if I can’t find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so I’ll use that to my advantage
My advise would be get behind some glass in the evenings and determine where he is feeding... Once you have established this, walk in on the game trail and determine where he is staging, typically small area with sign on fringe of feeding area. Place a camera or two here and pattern accordingly.

Stay out of his bedding area as if you disturb him the game is usually over.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Stay out of his bedding area as if you disturb him the game is usually over.
Yep, the Drury's call that the "inner sanctum". If you find that spot, stay clear.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:46 PM

I am sure you will find these helpful. I would think any guy with none, little, or lots of experience would find the following interesting.

Short video on buck movement in different seasons:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88fD0F98Rw8

Really great discussions on bucks, whether they are nocturnal, bedding areas, general habitat, etc:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgxTI-Lwu-A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGH9TOX4dU

I would recommend watching the MSU deer lab channel because there is a great amount of useful and interesting information: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCDOZeiPref8vhAHkULM3IGg. There are a few episodes on buck movement, one of which was linked above.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:41 PM

Find his watering hole.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:25 PM

One more thing to add:
If you decide to go for a walk around to see if you can locate his bedding areas, definitely make sure you have your bow with you, arrow nocked and GO SLOW with the wind in your favour.
If you’re going in blind and have no idea where he’s bedding, you’re more likely to bump into him than you are to see him bedded. If you’re quiet and slow you may get a shot at him if he stands up to see what you are.
I’ve had that happen to me more times than i can count - moving into an unknown area and a big buck stands up right in front of me when I’m not ready.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:57 PM

Here is my two cents on the issue and I spend a lot of time observing whitetail with cams

First off his home range is likely around 5miles square and you are only seeing a very small window of his life. The time of day he visits the portion you have him on cam he may never visit during daylight. But during the season this can change food sources and other factors like pressure

The rut does often increase daylight movement but some bucks just have minimal daylight movement. Some bucks don’t seem to have the same drive and are almost paranoid so the focus on self preservation

Changes in weather can break up a routine causing a buck to travel in daylight more or in area’s he normally would not. If there has been bad weather that has kept him hunkered down get out there as soon as it breaks. High winds, rain, snow or extreme temps are what I am talking about

You may want to fan out from the location you have two choice fan out into other possible locations in his range and hope to find daylight movement or ride it out in the locations you found him and hope he changes

Some bucks will only move in daylight in bush that is basically un hunt able. And when I say this I am a guy who hunts really nasty crap most won’t

The problem is you may not be able to locate/access his areas he moves in daylight or he may never break his routine

I have a large 10pt that for the life of me I cannot locate where he moves in daylight and he has never broke do to weather or rut. I have not succeeded to get one single daylight pic. This is public land where I am not restricted to landowners permission. This is my second year chasing him and I scout very hard year round

My opinion fan out and scout other locations for possible daylight movement. If you can’t find a location try to target him on weather changes and the rut in areas you know. If you can’t find him in daylight keep cams on those locations for the season regardless to see if there is a seasonal change you can use next year

The biggest thing don’t get fixated on bucks that show only low odds opportunities and see if you can target a buck that provides more opportunity to connect

I will warn you now when it comes to whitetail there is a million opinions out there and not every buck follows what he “should” do. The above is just my observations but I only target public land bush bucks
Old 09-15-2022, 04:15 PM

This is all great info I greatly appreciate it and I will take time to put them all into effect. I just got my daily intake of cell cam photos and on both cameras have a guy wearing camo pants and a black shirt, don’t see a bow but I’d assume a hunter. The path he came in on he would have walked right through a no trespassing sign…. Have to love people who can’t respect what private property means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AFD96A54-A25D-492B-8116-7CF71887E54E.jpeg (66.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 09-22-2022, 08:54 PM

He will probably change his patterns after the first hard froze I've found. If you start getting day light pictures hunt him when the wind is right.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You need to determine where he feeds and waters, set up in between these areas as he will get up many times during the day to stretch, water etc....I wouldn’t go into his bedroom he will more than likely lay low and leave after he feels safe maybe to another county.

Wind in your favour and set up in ambush points like deep thick pockets, pinch zones etc....patience.

Have more then one ambush point too to make the most of the wind direction and like mentioned before a staging area is good too, mature bucks will let the wee ones go out and they hang back unless it magic time and a hot doe is his objective.

Best to attempt to stack what little odds you have in your favour and be patient.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 PM

I’ve seen a nocturnal paranoid 2 year old 6 point…some are just wired that way. Funny enough the property was exactly as you described. Far as I know, he never got shot.

Most will move more during the rut, but who knows which way they will go. I had every target buck that went dark last sept, on cam in daylight in November. At completely random times, and always with the wrong wind for that stand. Think they knew where I was?

On the other question…I dunno if that’s a target buck so to speak…it’s a nice buck but nothing out of the ordinary. I don’t subscribe to upgrading slowly, “bigger than last year” “bigger than my biggest” or whatever else you call it. To me there’s BIG bucks, and other deer. Freezer gets the say in which one I’m hunting. I wouldn’t worry about that one deer, go try to hunt him and if you screw it up don’t worry about it, just shoot another one.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I’ve seen a nocturnal paranoid 2 year old 6 point…some are just wired that way. Funny enough the property was exactly as you described. Far as I know, he never got shot.

Most will move more during the rut, but who knows which way they will go. I had every target buck that went dark last sept, on cam in daylight in November. At completely random times, and always with the wrong wind for that stand. Think they knew where I was?

On the other question…I dunno if that’s a target buck so to speak…it’s a nice buck but nothing out of the ordinary. I don’t subscribe to upgrading slowly, “bigger than last year” “bigger than my biggest” or whatever else you call it. To me there’s BIG bucks, and other deer. Freezer gets the say in which one I’m hunting. I wouldn’t worry about that one deer, go try to hunt him and if you screw it up don’t worry about it, just shoot another one.
For sure, this buck is no where near the size of the past 2 deer i have harvested with a rifle. Archery is new to me so I’d be happy to harvest any mature deer with a bow. This just happens to be the best one I’ve seen on camera on this property to far. The past couple days I have been getting no pictures of deer but a single black bear every day at the same time. Makes me wonder if I should be hunting that instead haha, only problem is I have no idea what to do with it after I harvest it…..
Old 09-26-2022, 04:44 PM

Hunting is about personal goals in my opinion so target what you will be happy with

You mention this is the best buck on the property you are hunting but have you scouted the crown land that borders it?I am only mentioning this as it might expand your options if your target buck is not cooperating. It might also give you an idea of other bucks that could roam in during the rut

Just a thought but I am of the mindset of scout out all possible options I would be happy with and target the ones I feel provide the best opportunities