Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2022, 08:44 PM

Default Sight Fishing for Pike - Lodge Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for lodges where they've been able to sight fish for large pike? I'm hoping to do a trip in the next few years and would like to start researching different places.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:45 AM

There's lots of them what's your budget I've worked at probably five or six at the top lodges in North America but those ones all cost approximately a thousand a day now but some of the best pike fishing in the world is in Northern Saskatchewan Northwest Territories

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2022, 07:32 AM

Cree Lake in June would be a god option
Old 11-19-2022, 07:40 AM

Lac la Martre Lodge in the NWT. I guide up there in the summers and the sight fishing is incredible.

www.nwtfishing.com
Old 11-19-2022, 07:58 AM

Yeah…budget and expectations need to be clear

If you want all but guaranteed success, and can afford it, you want a lodge that does their own fly outs because even light-moderate wind can really shut things down on a main lake especially if they are running 16 foot boats….but $$$$

Most are gonna run 6-10K USD (so 8-14 k CAD) plus float plane flights, tips, travel to Ft Mac, Yellowknife etc. Pretty crazy for a jackfish. Glad I did it back when I could though, great memories.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Yeah…budget and expectations need to be clear

If you want all but guaranteed success, and can afford it, you want a lodge that does their own fly outs because even light-moderate wind can really shut things down on a main lake especially if they are running 16 foot boats….but $$$$

Most are gonna run 6-10K USD (so 8-14 k CAD) plus float plane flights, tips, travel to Ft Mac, Yellowknife etc. Pretty crazy for a jackfish. Glad I did it back when I could though, great memories.
No kidding I spent 20 years in the 80s and 90s and some of the best lodges up north ,had my share of great fishing on days I wasn't guiding or not managing couldn't afford to do it now.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:14 PM

Jay just posted a pretty great vid from Ganglers doing exactly what you want, but you better have deep pockets!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQMi3r-RS4
Old 11-19-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

For an FN pike.... no kidding. No interest in that cost. I would go after something that I can't normally catch before wasting that kind of money on pike.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:17 PM

Save your money and go to lake newell
My record is 67 pike in row casting with a fish hooked up.
If you know what and where to cast you will not find a better lake for pike numbers and size.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
There's lots of them what's your budget I've worked at probably five or six at the top lodges in North America but those ones all cost approximately a thousand a day now but some of the best pike fishing in the world is in Northern Saskatchewan Northwest Territories

I'm hoping to find something in the lower end cost wise when it comes to the spectrum of prices for all-inclusive fly in lodges. I realize this will still be quite pricey, but if there are any options around $3-5000 per week I'd probably be looking in that range.

I had a day and a half of pike fishing when I went to Frontier Fishing Lodge and it was absolutely outstanding. I would have no hesitation going back there if I could spend an entire week fishing for pike, and I've emailed them to inquire about this.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I'm hoping to find something in the lower end cost wise when it comes to the spectrum of prices for all-inclusive fly in lodges. I realize this will still be quite pricey, but if there are any options around $3-5000 per week I'd probably be looking in that range.

I had a day and a half of pike fishing when I went to Frontier Fishing Lodge and it was absolutely outstanding. I would have no hesitation going back there if I could spend an entire week fishing for pike, and I've emailed them to inquire about this.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a full serve, guided experience for a week in the price range you are looking for. I would be looking into an outpost camp where you do all your own meals and self guide.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post

Not sure if they're still open or not but this is an unguided Camp it's called Edmund Lake Lodge in Manitoba used to be fabulous fishing for pike there

Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
For an FN pike.... no kidding. No interest in that cost. I would go after something that I can't normally catch before wasting that kind of money on pike.
Obviously you've never fished trophy northern pike on the fly rod in the Northern parts of our country

Old 11-20-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Obviously you've never fished trophy northern pike on the fly rod in the Northern parts of our country

This is true.

I fly fished Wab in the good days. Maybe not a great lake to compare to a northern beauty but lots of big pike in shallow water lobbing my own ties to. Lots of years at Siebert and did well.

Point is, I'm not going to spend 10-14K on a fish that I have caught many decent representations of the same thing that I have just driven to for gas money.

If I spend that kind of money it will be on something I cannot target here. I looked seriously at arctic char recently. But even then the cost...probably will not happen. Maybe a trip to Florida...
Old 11-20-2022, 07:45 AM

Ubiquity lake is where I'm planning on going eventually.

https://www.ubiquitylake.com/
Old 11-20-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
This is true.

I fly fished Wab in the good days. Maybe not a great lake to compare to a northern beauty but lots of big pike in shallow water lobbing my own ties to. Lots of years at Siebert and did well.

Point is, I'm not going to spend 10-14K on a fish that I have caught many decent representations of the same thing that I have just driven to for gas money.

If I spend that kind of money it will be on something I cannot target here. I looked seriously at arctic char recently. But even then the cost...probably will not happen. Maybe a trip to Florida...
If you're going for Arctic char I managed the tree River camp for 2 years in the 90s best place in the world but you're also looking at a thousand plus a day.