Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2022, 05:36 PM

Default Fishing cameras

Thoughts on fishing cameras? Cabela’s has an Aquavu camera on sale. AV715.
Comes with the mopod stand for 400 bucks. Any good? Or would I be disappointed?
Old 11-09-2022, 06:24 PM

Good camera. Good deal.
I use a marcum but my buddy has the 715 and they are both good.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:35 PM

Works well for me. One thing to make battery last is to put it up off the ice or at least one of those foam pads under it
Old 11-09-2022, 08:38 PM

Cabelas one is a good deal. I have had the same for several years and is a great combo for a basic camera. Saying that my next 1 I would upgrade to the 7 HD model. Much clearer and bigger screen. Depends what your needs and wants are.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:58 PM

That combo for the price cant be beat.I have the exact set up and its a great pair.Yeah there might be bigger and hd models but it performs excellent.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:27 PM

Cameras are cool but I personally enjoy a flasher.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:33 AM

For the same money...and if I could only have one...I'd take this all day over the AV715, which is also a great deal. I have the Pro that also records. The picture quality is amazing and the fact that it is so portable means you'll use it more. It my favorite underwater camera.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Cameras are cool but I personally enjoy a flasher.
I have a flasher which I love. I just figured that this would be fun and I’d learn some new things with it. Plus keep the kids engaged.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I have a flasher which I love. I just figured that this would be fun and I’d learn some new things with it. Plus keep the kids engaged.
100% awesome for keeping the kids entertained on those boring days.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:50 PM

get the camera....always. Get the camera. Especially if the lake you're fishing is super clear. We have a Helix 7 and it's great, but the AV 715c is what really shines. There is NOTHING like watching underwater fish footage....incredible.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:22 PM

Underwater cameras don’t work during primetime. I know it’s go time when i can’t see anything on the camera anymore. I like mine, but if I could only take one I’d take my electronics first.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:29 AM

If ya have kids thats a must have purchase at that price.You have a flasher already so you will now have the best of both worlds to choose from.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Underwater cameras don’t work during primetime. I know it’s go time when i can’t see anything on the camera anymore. I like mine, but if I could only take one I’d take my electronics first.
I will remember this forever. As soon as the camera stops working its GO TIME!!!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-11-2022, 01:13 PM

Camera if you like to sit in one place or you have kids. Otherwise I would go flasher/live sonar every time.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-20-2022, 09:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thoughts on fishing cameras? Cabela’s has an Aquavu camera on sale. AV715.
Comes with the mopod stand for 400 bucks. Any good? Or would I be disappointed?

Read reviews etc and decided this was a good for the money buy.
Got one yesterday

Aqua-Vu Av715C with 75' Cable and Mo-Pod 3 Bundle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2022, 09:24 AM

I got one a few years ago.

It’s awesome for those slow days where you aren’t catching much, but seeing fish on the screen gives you some hope lol.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:36 PM

Never-mind the kids !!!!!!! I love watching fish come in, study the lure, watch them lip, suck in and spit out, circle and bump the baits. You also get to see how they react, in great detail, to your presentation, how you work the bait, etc.. never-mind knowing which species it is messing with you.

A flasher doesn't do that. Even the brand new live imaging stuff doesn't give you that detail.

I use the flasher for hole hopping. The camera is for the tent. That's my preference anyways.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:36 PM

Never-mind the kids !!!!!!! I love watching fish come in, study the lure, watch them lip, suck in and spit out, circle and bump the baits. You also get to see how they react, in great detail, to your presentation, how you work the bait, etc.. never-mind knowing which species it is messing with you.

A flasher doesn't do that. Even the brand new live imaging stuff doesn't give you that detail.

I use the flasher for hole hopping. The camera is for the tent. That's my preference anyways.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I think this will expose just how bad I was as a angler thinking I was the man but the camera will show the truth!

Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

absolutely! Ive learned so much watching the fish its great.
On that note, my camera is getting water in the case since I melted a bit of the cable, my repair didnt last too long. I ordered a new camera from Cabelas, the one with the monopod etc. this is the reply I got from them in the email yesterday.
"Good day,

Due to the dangerous nature of the AQUA-VU AV 715C 75' CABLE W/MO-POD3 on your order, there are additional shipping charges required. The shipping for the item would be an additional $296.51 and would be shipped with Day & Ross as Canada Post and UPS will not handle these items. The rest of the order can be delivered without any additional charges. A physical address will also be needed for delivery.

If you are located near a Cabelas or Bass Pro store location, we can update your order to our in-store pickup option which is available with no shipping fee’s.

We require a response from you within 48 hours of sending this email. Please let us know how to proceed.

Thank you for shopping with Cabela's Canada.
I cancelled the order thru the email, and Im going to talk to the customer service when they open this morning. seriously? almost 300 dollars to ship a small box 200 miles down the highway. !!!!
Ive had at least 6 or 7 batteries done through the mail, I will be getting my new camera from that Calgary company, Cabelas can eat my shorts from now on.

BTW TFH has the same camera minus the monopod I dont use anyways and the extra 25 feet of cable which is useless down south anyways, see if I get the same email from them, I bet not. plus its on sale cheaper than the other place. I decided to try the Marcum camera this time Ive had aquaview and Vexilar camera so I thought Id try something different. they all work great, just keep your cable away from your heater

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 11-23-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
absolutely! Ive learned so much watching the fish its great.
On that note, my camera is getting water in the case since I melted a bit of the cable, my repair didnt last too long. I ordered a new camera from Cabelas, the one with the monopod etc. this is the reply I got from them in the email yesterday.
"Good day,

Due to the dangerous nature of the AQUA-VU AV 715C 75' CABLE W/MO-POD3 on your order, there are additional shipping charges required. The shipping for the item would be an additional $296.51 and would be shipped with Day & Ross as Canada Post and UPS will not handle these items. The rest of the order can be delivered without any additional charges. A physical address will also be needed for delivery.

If you are located near a Cabelas or Bass Pro store location, we can update your order to our in-store pickup option which is available with no shipping fee’s.

We require a response from you within 48 hours of sending this email. Please let us know how to proceed.

Thank you for shopping with Cabela's Canada.
I cancelled the order thru the email, and Im going to talk to the customer service when they open this morning. seriously? almost 300 dollars to ship a small box 200 miles down the highway. !!!!
Ive had at least 6 or 7 batteries done through the mail, I will be getting my new camera from that Calgary company, Cabelas can eat my shorts from now on.

BTW TFH has the same camera minus the monopod I dont use anyways and the extra 25 feet of cable which is useless down south anyways, see if I get the same email from them, I bet not. plus its on sale cheaper than the other place. I decided to try the Marcum camera this time Ive had aquaview and Vexilar camera so I thought Id try something different. they all work great, just keep your cable away from your heater
I just talked to customer service at Cabelas, she said its the shipping company who charges the idiotic shipping fee because theres a battery (sealed) in the camera. funny how the other companies dont have that issue. their loss

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-23-2022, 02:19 PM

Wanted to second the comment about learning fish biology via the AquaVu. That's my favourite thing...learning what exactly they want. Do they want it perfect still and just laying there? Do they want heavy rip jigging? Just a subtle buckin' bronco? Watching their reactions to stuff is WILD....as was said "never mind the kids..." I could watch underwater fish footage all day...
Old 12-30-2022, 05:58 AM

Well, I did pick up an Aquavue 715 with the mopod. Used it twice now, and have to say that I’m pretty disappointed. Maybe 3-4’ of visibility at the first lake, and zero at Chain lakes yesterday. I know that chain was pretty cloudy, but I could watch my bait drop a few feet or so down the hole with my eyes. The camera could barely catch anything. I’ll see if I can bring it back and get a second flasher instead.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I did pick up an Aquavue 715 with the mopod. Used it twice now, and have to say that I’m pretty disappointed. Maybe 3-4’ of visibility at the first lake, and zero at Chain lakes yesterday. I know that chain was pretty cloudy, but I could watch my bait drop a few feet or so down the hole with my eyes. The camera could barely catch anything. I’ll see if I can bring it back and get a second flasher instead.
That’s defiantly a downfall is you do need good conditions for visibility this includes the water clarity as well as the outside environment(eg. snow cover, and sunlight) if there is lots of snow and it’s cloudy light simply can’t penetrate to give you a good picture.

Flasher is 100% the first thing I recommend. They can be used in every condition and will tell you if there are fish as well as if they engage with you. I do have an aqua vu hd7 and it’s an awesome camera but I probably only use it 7-8 times a season.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:56 AM

I usually clear an area so the light can penetrate better but have not used the camera below 20 fow yet.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:36 AM

My AV715c is my most prized bit of fishing tech. I can't fish without it. We generally fish in about 20fow and in the gin-clear waters of southern AB, we see things clear as a bell. It's almost "HD" viewing at those depths during the day. It's only when the sun goes down that you lose visibility. The ability to interact in real time with fish is incredible. Nothing...not even Live Imaging.....gives you the knowledge that an underwater camera (AV or Marcum only!) can...
Old 12-30-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
This is the known downfall of cameras on our fertile Alberta pothole lakes. I was fishing yesterday with friends using an underwater camera. I bought a QuadHD last season and figured I paid a lot of money so I should actually use it. Pulled the ActiveTarget out of the hole, unwrapped the cable and dropped the camera down. Meh. It wasn't horrible, but the fish were on top of me before I could see them. I fished with it for maybe five minutes before going back to the live imaging where I could see everything coming from 12' away unless it was an aggressive pike T-boning the transducer cone.

Underwater cameras do get progressively better as the hardwater season wears on and the algae in the water dies off.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:50 AM

I have a Vexilar Fish Scout and have been very happy with it in general but I was at Chain the other day and could only see a few feet since it was so murky. I gave up pretty quick and used the sonar. I have a 90ft cord and have used it in Spray Lakes and worked great even in 60ft. They have their useful times but not every time.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:08 PM

On cold lake right now 40 fow and deeper camera wasn’t performing well

But we got little to no light and overcast.

Can’t complain though

Old 12-31-2022, 06:58 PM

I ran one 2019-2022. Nice units. I'd upgraded to a 10AH battery as the 7.5AH it comes with is hard pressed to get an 8 hour day in a warm tent. I went to a Marcum LX-9L a few weeks ago. I like having the ability to have both graph and camera overlaid on one screen instead of running two units and having the built in sd card/recording capability is a bonus. The camera is fun to watch and it's a good tool to see how fish react to your offerings but it's not a fishfinder, it's a fish viewer. You can't go wrong with the price they have it on sale for. I never ice fish without it.