Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2022, 10:14 PM

Default Is reloading worth it?

Hey so a bit of a broad question I guess. I’m looking to get into reloading, I’ve been doing a lot more shooting these days and I’m looking to be able to fine tune my rounds to my rifle and possibly save a buck or two in the process. I’m just curious if with the price of powder and everything else that goes into it, is it still a viable option for a guy who goes out and shoots say every other weekend to save a couple dollars, or am I looking at the same or even more expensive then just buying match grade ammo off the shelf.
I’m shooting primarily 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 if that makes a difference
Old 11-22-2022, 10:33 PM

Absolutely worth it.
Cat
Old 11-23-2022, 02:57 AM

Even if you are only saving 10.00/box, it adds up. Also pays off having the components on hand during shortages like we have now. Can always come up with something to shoot that way. Stuff has gone up in price, components are hit and miss to get, but can be had. And you can load the bullet you want for the task you want to use it for, when you want to, and not be subject to the vagaries of quality and availability of factory stuff. I had some "match grade" stuff I tried last year on a new gun, was not at all impressed, cut groups in half with the loads in the first test ladder, and yet people swear by that ammo for competitions in the US. I wouldn't buy that krap again, even though the next box, might work as well as the handloads.That is always a risk with a factory load, and, the whole issue may have been as simple, as the seating length of the bullet, that my gun likes.

Last edited by 32-40win; 11-23-2022 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:03 AM

Well I sure haven't "saved" any money, but I enjoy it, and I think it's a good skill to have. I haven't even scratched the surface of it.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:18 AM

Yes it's worth it, I've been at it for 40 years or more, your initial cost of set up is going to whollop the wallet a bit but over time you will realize a return on that investment.

I always found it relaxing, got my mind off crap at work, now that I am retired it's a great pastime, I not only load for me but for 3 or 4 friends of mine, I spend hours in the garage some days.

I still use the original press that I bought, an RCBS rock chucker, can't imagine how many times I have pulled the handle on that press. It is very satisfying when you dump and animal or ring a plate of steel way out there with a round that you worked up and put together.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:17 AM

Default I always have ammo

Others not so much.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yes it's worth it, I've been at it for 40 years or more, your initial cost of set up is going to whollop the wallet a bit but over time you will realize a return on that investment.

I always found it relaxing, got my mind off crap at work, now that I am retired it's a great pastime, I not only load for me but for 3 or 4 friends of mine, I spend hours in the garage some days.

I still use the original press that I bought, an RCBS rock chucker, can't imagine how many times I have pulled the handle on that press. It is very satisfying when you dump and animal or ring a plate of steel way out there with a round that you worked up and put together.

This ^^^

You reload because you enjoy making ammo, chasing accuracy, and want a new hobby.

Just do it. Life’s too short and stressful to not have fun hobbies.

It is rewarding as Ed has said.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:37 AM

I load, because it gives me flexibility, to work up precision loads for my rifles, and to be able to repeat that load indefinitely, but with the gear that I choose to load with, the cost savings would take many years for the average hunter to recover the initial investment. Now if you shoot a lot of volume, you can actually save a fair bit, especially if you stick with low end/cost reloading gear.
I do save a lot loading 410 and 28 gauge skeet loads, because I shoot 5-6000 rounds per year, and the savings more than paid for my presses the first year, and since then, I save around $2000 per year.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post

This. Especially if you start young, the equipment will pay for itself. Better ammo at a substantial savings. And if you really enjoy it, bonus. The down side is reloaders get hooked on chasing the "best" load, it is a lot of fun, but can get expensive if you are shooting all the time. But hey we all need hobbies.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2022, 09:35 AM

Never too late to start.

I started this last Jan, and haven't look back. The most shooting I have ever done since I started to load, so I save per bullet, but shot 6X more than I would have. The savings will come eventually. I had 5 hunting rifles to load for, and a few fun ones for plinking.

The primers are going to be the hardest to find, so I suggest going the small primer brass. Both your chosen calibers have that option. Much more primers available, and on the retail scene and not only resellers.

You should be able to find adequate powder that will work in those calibers without much digging.

Good luck, and have fun with a new hobby.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 AM

I think its worth it

Initial startup can be done reasonable

Ive built loads that I feel maximize the accuracy of our hunting rifles. We stick to it.

It is a fun hobby that can save you money and you can ensure your ammo is exactly the same (pretty much)
Old 11-23-2022, 12:21 PM

Short answer YES. Long answer it depends. If you just want to go out and fire 20 rounds a year NOPE. BUT if you enjoy precision, the satisfaction of doing thing yourself and better then of the shelf results, then it is so worth it. Do, save your pennies and buy the best (not the most expensive) products you can afford. Remember the Quality you buy today will last till you pass them on to your grandkids. So is it worth it? only you know the answer.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:21 PM

It is worth it if you reload for obsolete guns that you can no longer by ammo for,
Or to Taylor the ammo to your rifle and then you have quality accurate ammo
Nothing pleases me more than having a clean kill on and animal with cartridge I have made my self to my standards,
Old 11-26-2022, 03:58 AM

From what you are saying ,yes it would be worth it for your needs, as you want to shoot lots .
For the guy that just wants a good load and only shoot a 1 box a year it would not be worth it .
Old 11-26-2022, 04:21 AM

It's a bit like tying flies
There might be a saving there, but that's not the point. (for me anyway)
There is an inherent satisfaction in either hunting with or target shooting with something you have made yourself.
It obliges you to learn a bunch about your particular firearm and about what makes firearms in general work the way they do.
Once you get a load that works, you never have to worry about any shortage of the brand your rifle likes,it's a rabbit hole of infinite depth - you can go as far down it as you want....
As for the cost - you bust your butt every day going to work to make money so you can enjoy life.
At some point you deserve to spend some.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:44 AM

In this current climate where components are pretty much non-existent and if you can find something you are paying through the roof, I don't know anymore. Definitely not saving any money.

A few years ago, absolutely.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Hey so a bit of a broad question I guess. I’m looking to get into reloading, I’ve been doing a lot more shooting these days and I’m looking to be able to fine tune my rounds to my rifle and possibly save a buck or two in the process. I’m just curious if with the price of powder and everything else that goes into it, is it still a viable option for a guy who goes out and shoots say every other weekend to save a couple dollars, or am I looking at the same or even more expensive then just buying match grade ammo off the shelf.
I’m shooting primarily 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 if that makes a difference
If not for anything, reloading is a nice to have skill
Old 11-28-2022, 09:29 AM

No one became a gastronomic expert by not cooking for themselves or others and instead relying on restaurants to prepare their every meal. Opinions matter, but must be based on real world experience.
Likewise, no one became an expert or even a much improved shooter by using strictly off the shelf factory ammunition.
Get into reloading to improve your shooting skills first and foremost but also to add to your base of knowledge concerning gun and ammo safety, ballistics, bullet type and their appropriate applications, applying logistical analysis, etc.,etc.
It's not just a hobby, it's self improvement. Cost justification is often the first question asked but will become a smaller issue as you accumulate both equipment and knowledge.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:04 AM

I just shoot a lot more, with better ammo for the same amount of money as I did before.

and have gained a better understanding of every rifle I own. it is very satisfying to help others with it too and see the look on their face when they ring steel at 500 yards consistently with their hunting rifle.

Then see their pictures of the game they have brought down with their rifle and handloaded ammunition.

There is a difference between reloading and handloading. Handloading is a very precise scientific method where the largest tolerance affects accuracy, if you size brass perfectly and turn the neck and then just drop powder without weighing it precisely you are going to get the result of you least consistent/precise detail.

Reloading to me is duplicating a developed round which is more repetition. Handloading is working up a load that meets requirements or searching for best load which is an almost impossible dream