Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 02:22 PM

Default Strikemaster Ice Auger Repair

Hey guys,

Any recommendations on repair shops in or around Calgary to get my gas powered Strikemaster Solo 137 tuned up and running again? I have only used it a half dozen times or so, but it has sat for a few years and I cannot for the life of me get it to start. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Hey guys,

Any recommendations on repair shops in or around Calgary to get my gas powered Strikemaster Solo 137 tuned up and running again? I have only used it a half dozen times or so, but it has sat for a few years and I cannot for the life of me get it to start. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Two brothers in Calgary/ SE should be able to do the job.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:46 PM

Is it getting fuel and spark.
Did you pull the spark plug out to see if its getting wet.
If not skirt some fresh mixed fuel in it .place plug back in and pull .

If its wet ,pull plug out and hook back on wire and see if its getting spark when you touch the end to the cylinder head . do this in a dark place .
Might just need a new plug if no spark .

Your not trying to start it with two year old fuel are you?
Old 11-27-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Is it getting fuel and spark.
Did you pull the spark plug out to see if its getting wet.
If not skirt some fresh mixed fuel in it .place plug back in and pull .

If its wet ,pull plug out and hook back on wire and see if its getting spark when you touch the end to the cylinder head . do this in a dark place .
Might just need a new plug if no spark .

Your not trying to start it with two year old fuel are you?
Plug is wet. Plug is getting spark. New fuel. I think the cylinder is getting flooded because when I pull on it, I get a puff of fuel out of the exhaust which obviously is being caused from perhaps something is the carb. So time for a pro to look at it.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:14 AM

Two brothers. I agree
Old 11-28-2022, 11:54 AM

I am not a small engine mechanic but have had to deal with these problems for a very long time on all my small 2 stroke engines.

Take out the spark plug, pour our the existing gas, take a bottle of seafoam, pull the cord until you see the piston drop and stop. Now pour in the seafoam, and leave it for a few hours. It has to sit so the cylinder stays upright.

Come back and dump out the seafoam from the cylinder and spray some 2 stroke oil in the cylinder and work the cylinder back and forth to lubricate the cylinder.

Put in fresh fuel premium fuel with good 2 stroke oil with a little dose of Seafoam, put in a new plug.

For some reason, 2 stroke engines tend to oil up on the crankcase if let to sit. The 2 stroke oil comes in under the piston from the crankcase which is how it lubricates the crank and piston. There are reed plates that move back and forth sealing the crank case depending on what position the piston is at.

The seafoam seems to break down all the heavy oil as well as clears out the varnish deposits from the engine side of the carburetor intake as well as in the crankcase area.

When the engine starts up, it will pour out tons of smoke which is good, once the smoke stops, the engine should run well.

Please make sure to dose the cylinder with oil and work it back and forth before re starting. You need to re lube or you will seize the piston!!!

Drewski