Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 10:05 AM

Default Wainwright Conditions

If anyone is heading to Wainwright this coming week, would you be kind enough to post the road conditions? I am drawn for the first rifle season and Appreciate your help.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:28 AM

They will be tough, I was hunting maybe a half hour south last week and there was lots of snow and ice. Bring your shovel, tow straps and ways of getting out of drifts
Old 11-28-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
They will be tough, I was hunting maybe a half hour south last week and there was lots of snow and ice. Bring your shovel, tow straps and ways of getting out of drifts
For sure this. I wasn't exactly there but I was around Hardisty and it was drifty out there. They caught a lot of snow earlier this month and now it's piling up again. Think twice before going down any side roads or dirt paths you are unfamiliar with; you can easily beach yourself over a low spot that collects snow.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:20 AM

I live an hour north of wainwright and they have the same winter storm watch out as we do here, we have had snow and blowing snow for 24 hrs now and supposed to continue until this evening, 2' drifts across my driveway and sidewalk, just spent an hour blowing them out, I can assume that wainwright is the same.

It's going to be blown in and drifted, it was warm when it started to snow last night here and the drifts are hard, good luck and be prepared.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:55 AM

45min East of Wainwright in 46, drove this trail 4 times and well I slipped off the track at dark coming out from the evening sit. Shovels would not have helped this one.
WDF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drift.jpg (45.0 KB, 603 views)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:34 PM

Default Wainwright Road Conditions

Anyone hunted today? How are the roads, ; main and side roads? Are you seeing much activity? Appreciate the help.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:48 PM

Headed for the first rifle too!
Old 12-02-2022, 08:18 AM

Trouble with Wainwright is that there is alot of heavy bush. Nice part about Wainwright is that these really are bush deer and it is not a case of first hour / last hour movement. Especially in the cold they will be feeding all day and moving all day.

If someone is heading out there perhaps pick up a set of tire chains and get them fitted up before you go to use them. Tire chains will get you through alot of deep snow that is not crusted up.

Drewski
Old 12-02-2022, 10:32 AM
Banned

There will be a bunch of trails broken by the primitive hunters
Snow in some spots is deep!
Like up to your waist
But drifts are not as hard as they are further south
Bring a shovel, and slings and be prepared to use them
We are tagged out and done
Old 12-02-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
We are tagged out and done
Tagged out and done, on the first morning - Moose?
If you'd like to share, post up the story and pics. Always keen to hear how things are in Wainwright. A couple of us are drawn for the last season for deer - never been there that late, but certainly looking forward to it.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:44 PM

Default the hunt

heading for the hunt next monday we have deer draws, looking a little chilly next week....FS
Old 12-02-2022, 06:59 PM

How are guys hunting this? Crusty, loud, deep snow. Thick bush. Tough conditions for hunting.

Not a lot of time to just take a guess on a clearing and wait it out (at -30!).
Old 12-02-2022, 08:14 PM

Still hunt it. Walk and stop and look repeat.

Got drawn for second rifle. Can’t wait. Good luck guys and let’s see some successful hunts guys!
Old 12-02-2022, 08:35 PM

My nephew myself and 2 others have hunted hard the last 2 days. In the south side of the base it is deep snow. I have a lifted f350 with brand new studded duratracs and have had to stop and let my transmission cool as the snow is getting the better of my transmission cooler as it's screams real loud. Only us and 1 other party have ventured in the far south off yellow route. No way a low riding half ton or some one with crap tires are going off the main roads. Annex Is a bust for over half of it. Ring road around the permanent danger zone is impassable. Only get 20 percent of the way around the south side as the grader was stuck. So they haven't made the walk Only rule this year as you can't drive anywhere.
Snow is deep and hard on trucks. North Central is less snow but big drifts.
The plus. Seeing lots of deer, moose, bulls and cows. Seen some real big bulls.
Moose and deer population is high. Lots of guys talking about elk being everywhere.
Nephew shot a mule doe, small mule buck yesterday and his cow moose this morning.
Minus 41 cleaning it. Good times.
Don't be discouraged but it will be a hard hunt. Be prepared have good tires and some reckless driving skills 👌 you will be okay. I did 136km today and burned 89 liters of diesel soooo snows deep. Don't worry us muzzy guys made some trails. Shoot straight and keep the pedal down
Old 12-02-2022, 08:59 PM

^^^ congrats to your nephew. Glad you were able to get out with him.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:48 PM

Default Tough conditions

Wow. Sounds like a tough hunt on the base. Honda610 Congrats to your nephew on his success.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:32 PM

That's awesome Honda, glad you made it in and got it done.
Congrats to your nephew.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Default Glad I'm not there

I'm certain guys will appreciate your weather actuals.

I would be there now but I nixed my hunt. A buddy mistakenly put in for the primitive draw and when he got the draw, I partnered with him. Then....then...I'm looking at my partner license and notice it was for primitive, called him up and said he put in for the wrong draw. None of us have a muzzle loader. At least I wasn't the one losing any priority.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 AM

Congrats to those of you that were successful, you worked for your animals. I have hunted moose twice, deer 6-8 times and sharptails for 6 years on the base, and I look forward to returning for moose/deer in a few years. It's great to have the opportunity to hunt the base.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:50 PM

Default Wainright

Well me and markymark where down for primitive. Hunted the previous days further south and spent a bunch of time digging out. I thought wainright was better. More brush and wind brakes I guess . Less drifts but guys def not risking going down many smaller trails. Seen lots of animals but limited driving capabilities. Tagged out my cow moose first morning but had to push a little snow
Good luck to all heading out. Bring shovels and a sling for sure. Hopefully braver souls break more trail.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:53 PM

If you're not willing to bag your vehicle your not gonna get very far. Bring a shovel, come along, and lots of tow.rope. Vehicles are few and far between in the bad stuff. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:04 PM

I’ve never drawn a Wainwright tag or even been at the base but was thinking about doing it next year and going to the walk in area. I just quickly looked at a map. The walk area (WMU 730) is fairly far from the hunter check in station. Is it easily accessible with the snow or is it also tough going. Is there another access point to the walk in area off a maintained road? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I’ve never drawn a Wainwright tag or even been at the base but was thinking about doing it next year and going to the walk in area. I just quickly looked at a map. The walk area (WMU 730) is fairly far from the hunter check in station. Is it easily accessible with the snow or is it also tough going. Is there another access point to the walk in area off a maintained road? Thanks.

WMU 730 has been in the past easy to access. This is my third trip there and never had the snow they are describing this year. That said, even if the base road is not not passable, you can see highway 41 cuts between the two parts of the base. You could always come through the town section if you had to. Although there is rules about checking in and out of the base you need to follow if you go that route.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regwald View Post
WMU 730 has been in the past easy to access. This is my third trip there and never had the snow they are describing this year. That said, even if the base road is not not passable, you can see highway 41 cuts between the two parts of the base. You could always come through the town section if you had to. Although there is rules about checking in and out of the base you need to follow if you go that route.
You can’t come through town
It’s not allowed
You can drive down white route to the annex
Circle route was not entirely plowed
The grader could go no further than a mile or so in both directions from the permanently closed area
Old 12-03-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You can’t come through town
It’s not allowed
You can drive down white route to the annex
Circle route was not entirely plowed
The grader could go no further than a mile or so in both directions from the permanently closed area
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
The main routes are easily passable - it’s the tracks that get rowdy fast. The snow is loud and a bit tough to hunt in. There’s a lot of thick bush where the deer hole up - some patience, some luck and maybe someone pushing bush and you could kick up some really good deer.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
If you're not willing to bag your vehicle your not gonna get very far. Bring a shovel, come along, and lots of tow.rope. Vehicles are few and far between in the bad stuff. Good luck.
what does " bag your vehicle " mean .....?
Old 12-04-2022, 11:28 AM

It means putting your truck into 4 low and watching your front end and rear end bounce like a pogo stick as it tries to grab road. If you have no lift and clearance It will be ripping the front fascia off the bottom. It’s not being a highway princess any more.

Bring chains and shovels. That’s what I’m doing. Might have to group up with others to help pull.

It sounds like it will be rough!

Last edited by addicted; 12-04-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:41 AM

There is a crazy wind in Wainwright today, i would expect everything is going to drift hard out there.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted View Post
It means putting your truck into 4 low and watching your front end and rear end bounce like a pogo stick as it tries to grab road. If you have no lift and clearance It will be ripping the front fascia off the bottom. It’s not being a highway princess any more.

Bring chains and shovels. That’s what I’m doing. Might have to group up with others to help pull.

It sounds like it will be rough!
My truck never been in 4 low........LOL