Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 02:27 PM

Default New Scam coming to Alberta..........?

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/rps-warn-o...gina-1.6167434

"How to spot an obvious scam!
That's why I'm offering a $5,000 course on how to avoid scams! Enroll today!
If you haven't learned what a scam is by the end of the course, money back guaranteed!"

Cash Only please.

PM me for details.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:17 PM

I got one of those messages awhile back in Calgary
It looked pretty good
So, I phoned the parking authority, and they said it was a scam
Guess it never hurts to check if you are uncertain. But do not phone the numbers the message gives you.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:32 PM

Anything that comes in the email asking you to pay something should be considered scam. It’s not hard, really. By the same token, any email that hits your inbox from a sender you don’t know should be considered spam and disposed of accordingly before clicking any links, or even reading.

Edit: Another thing is that if you get an email from your bank/paypal/whatever account asking you to login or do something that would require you to login is also a scam. If inclined, log in from your web browser as you always do and never from links in email. There should not be any exceptions and should always be viewed as fact and it really is: all those emails are scam
Old 11-29-2022, 12:06 PM

I was getting lots of spam emails from SHAW lately, about my payment been declined. Looked very authentic. The only reason I knew it was a spam is the amount outstanding was different than what I actually pay monthly. Close, but different.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:25 PM

I got one yesterday that looked like it was from Best Buy Geek Squad thanking me for my subscription at a cost of 495 dollars. I don't have an account with Best Buy and haven't dealt with them in a long time. And this is where they get you... "If you want to avoid the charge please call within 24 hours or we will charge your account". I Googled the phone number just for the hell of it and it came from Hawaii not Best Buy. I just discarded it.