Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 02:34 PM

Default Societal Decay & Crime

It seems lately that I can’t go a day without seeing signs of societal decay brought to us by addicts & the mentally ill. Today was a trip to a Home Depot location I generally don’t frequent but they had a sale item that was sold out elsewhere. I parked & was on my way in when I smelled gasoline quite heavily, a glance upwind revealed one of their rental vans with a yellow puddle around it, seems someone poked a hole in the tank and didn’t have enough container to capture it all so the rest went into the parking lot.

Yesterday at a different Home Depot where they were out of the product I wanted there was a limping homeless dude wandering through the store who clearly hadn’t changed his diaper for a while based on the cloud of feces stench that surrounded him.

Then we see the news with flare gun fights in LRT stations, random stabbings, creeps following women near LRT stations (Dalhousie) and fondling them sexually. We all know something has to change & it can’t happen too soon. I’d genuinely like to see vigilante mobs soon, something like the guardian angels of the ‘80’s but with occasional side helpings of Judge Dredd

Something’s gotta give
Old 11-28-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Then we see the news with flare gun fights in LRT stations, random stabbings, creeps following women near LRT stations (Dalhousie) and fondling them sexually. We all know something has to change & it can’t happen too soon. I’d genuinely like to see vigilante mobs soon, something like the guardian angels of the ‘80’s but with occasional side helpings of Judge Dredd

Something’s gotta give
"....something like the guardian angels of the ‘80’s "
Definitely not! Too wussy.

I have my own ideas about how to deal with all this sorta BS, but I'd never get any support from "woke" culture or "cancel" culture; or post-modern "political correctness".

My ideas involve rubber rooms and oubliettes.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:03 PM

The courts have stricken down minimum sentencing, the government has reduced sentences, judges refuse to impose harsh sentences, if the police even charge the suspect, and then we have Gladue, so the consequences of committing a criminal act have reduced to the point that many criminals simply don't care.So with no accountability, why would we expect anything different?

Even the Attorney general doesn't think we should punish drug dealers.

https://twitter.com/mindingottawa/st...17471195062272
Old 11-28-2022, 03:12 PM

Part of the problem is that they closed beds in mental hospitals and put them out on the streets.

Some of the ones who survived committed crimes and went to jail. This moves the expense from the health care budget that everybody cares about to the corrections budget that no one cares about.. The jails are not designed for this type of work and so rehabilitation is unlikely.

If they reoffend seriously enough they get into a federal pen which is Ottawa's responsibility. I don't say this is intentional but it seems to have happened.
it is very difficult to get effective help for these people even if they have an advocate.
The result is you have dysfunctional people with drug, mental or fetal alcohol problems out on the street with the choice of homelessness or jail.
People think jail is a vacation but it is not.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
Part of the problem is that they closed beds in mental hospitals and put them out on the streets.

Some of the ones who survived committed crimes and went to jail. This moves the expense from the health care budget that everybody cares about to the corrections budget that no one cares about.. The jails are not designed for this type of work and so rehabilitation is unlikely.

If they reoffend seriously enough they get into a federal pen which is Ottawa's responsibility. I don't say this is intentional but it seems to have happened.
it is very difficult to get effective help for these people even if they have an advocate.
The result is you have dysfunctional people with drug, mental or fetal alcohol problems out on the street with the choice of homelessness or jail.
People think jail is a vacation but it is not.

Kind of how I feel about this ^^^^ I really think mental institutes should be reinstated. Try helping them or put them away. I know it's not cheap but I am tired of the trash walking the streets. Worked hard all my life for a dirtbag to come a try and take what I have.

Dodger.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:23 PM

Which comes first, mental illness or drug addiction? Every druggie I knew or know was pretty much just fine mentally before they got into the drugs. They need to stop blaming drug addiction and homelessness on mental illness, its a bleeding heart cop out. There are few mentally ill or homeless out there that aren't on drugs and very few of them would be sick in the head if they had avoided the heavy drugs.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:40 PM

Believe it or not, some criminals are just arseholes

No mental illness or drugs to blame
Old 11-28-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Believe it or not, some criminals are just arseholes

No mental illness or drugs to blame
Not in our present society, that's old fashioned.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-28-2022, 05:18 PM

Darwins law is challenged by Woke culture.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Not in our present society, that's old fashioned.

Grizz
But it would be refreshing, just a good old arsehole stealing your truck.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:37 PM

Default Social problems

I think there always has been issues but it has become worst. I blame our political leaders. We see and hear them lie every day with no accountability, when this continually happens, people loose trust. This loss of trust has spread to include cops, judges, the justice system, government information put out that only benefits themselves. Information about health, finances, insurance, contracts given to friends ect. We never needed to lock our homes, vehicles or storage buildings, now if it is not locked, it becomes MY fault if some oxygen thief steals something to support their drug needs.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:44 PM

With the lieberals in charge, their “hug a thug” program will continue & get worse. To be a real deterrent, sentences need to be increased, not decreased, regardless of race, religion, or creed. Justice must be blind.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:09 PM

I definitely acknowledge that lots of criminals are just collossal jerks & sociopaths, which is the part where I mentioned the Judge Dredd aspect.

It used to be that I'd not witness crime for extended periods, now its everywhere. Some things amplify it certainly, such as I wound up with a stolen bike page feed on my FB when I signed on to it because my bike was stolen. Seeing the # of bikes reported stolen daily in Cowtown sure gives perspective

The Liberal approach will be making it worse with them having passed Bill C-5 & taking away so many minimum sentences, which will of course only result in EVEN MORE recidivism. Its already ludicrous, but they're making it even worse. When it does get obviously worse with stats to prove it, they'll just blame racism & the patriarchy or some other flaky & illogical talking point.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:20 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The world has always been an animal show with times of extreme peaks and valleys, nothing will ever change.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2022, 07:53 PM

Seeing the # of bikes reported stolen daily in Cowtown sure gives perspective

The Homeless need mobility .

Grizz

Old 11-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Banned

Take away narcan and the problem will solve itself
I used to feel bad for the homeless, then I got transferred downtown and had to deal with them and clean up after them
They are a waste of resources
Old 11-28-2022, 09:24 PM

I’m with Marky Mark. If the addicts don’t care about themselves, I’m not sure why I should care about them.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-29-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I used to feel bad for the homeless, then I got transferred downtown and had to deal with them and clean up after them
it’s a bragging right about how many time they get revived ,and fancy narcan pouch can be used to stored their poison .
Old 11-29-2022, 01:13 AM

Need Portugals law on drug use.

Public intoxication and drug use prompts a letter to appear after being taken to jail.

A tribunal reviews with the person..all the history and circumstances. Determines next course of action. While jail is possible the goal is help.

Options include rehab… exclusion from going to certain places like bars etc… people you can’t hang with. Failure to follow means jail in the long run.

It’s far better than our current system of enabling. It has failed as seen in the rising drug deaths, jail and courts tied up and hospital usage.

Try walking young kids past groups of drug addicts at Somerset Station in Calgary. It’s ridiculous.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Need Portugals law on drug use.

Public intoxication and drug use prompts a letter to appear after being taken to jail.

A tribunal reviews with the person..all the history and circumstances. Determines next course of action. While jail is possible the goal is help.

Options include rehab… exclusion from going to certain places like bars etc… people you can’t hang with. Failure to follow means jail in the long run.

It’s far better than our current system of enabling. It has failed as seen in the rising drug deaths, jail and courts tied up and hospital usage.

Try walking young kids past groups of drug addicts at Somerset Station in Calgary. It’s ridiculous.
Out of curiosity, where are you gonna send the letter to appear if the person is homeless?

BTW, I’m all for trying Portugal’s system. This mish mash we are doing now sure as heck ain’t the answer.

Gotta do something different.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
This right here! Can’t help those who don’t want to help themselves.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:13 AM

Jails are full. Can’t send people to jail if there are none. Build more.
I believe the short sentences are a result of housing the prisoners.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The Liberal approach will be making it worse with them having passed Bill C-5 & taking away so many minimum sentences, which will of course only result in EVEN MORE recidivism. Its already ludicrous, but they're making it even worse. When it does get obviously worse with stats to prove it, they'll just blame racism & the patriarchy or some other flaky & illogical talking point.
Bill C-5 go easy on the bums, then pass Bill C-21 make criminals out of the hard working law abiding citizens. That’s the liberal way!!
Old 11-29-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Bill C-5 go easy on the bums, then pass Bill C-21 make criminals out of the hard working law abiding citizens. That’s the liberal way!!
Argue with that and you're a right wing Extremist.

Grizz

Old 11-29-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
But it would be refreshing, just a good old arsehole stealing your truck.
Lmao that’s awesome!! Lol
Old 11-29-2022, 07:42 AM

When you increase population density the problems in society become more obvious
Old 11-29-2022, 07:51 AM

The three drug addicts in my family grew up in a rural environment, and there are plenty of thieves, bums and drug addicts in the small towns I’ve lived in.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-29-2022, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This right here! Can’t help those who don’t want to help themselves.

Its insane!
The price that is paid to keep these people alive is not just measured in dollars

Imagine being a first responder and having to narcan people 10 times a day?
Ambulance, fire fighters, emergency rooms, dr's, nurses, etc how many resources are tied up saving these people who obviously dont care if they live or die and would rather just get high?
How many innocent lives are lost because resources are tied up trying to save these junkies?
To me, one of these lives is too many
Old 11-29-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
The three drug addicts in my family grew up in a rural environment, and there are plenty of thieves, bums and drug addicts in the small towns I’ve lived in.
Per capita, I'd say the numbers are higher in these small towns than in the cities
Old 11-29-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Its insane!
The price that is paid to keep these people alive is not just measured in dollars

Imagine being a first responder and having to narcan people 10 times a day?
Ambulance, fire fighters, emergency rooms, dr's, nurses, etc how many resources are tied up saving these people who obviously dont care if they live or die and would rather just get high?
How many innocent lives are lost because resources are tied up trying to save these junkies?
To me, one of these lives is too many
Addiction is a disease, there are many who don't take care of themselves who clog up the system as well.... To easy to choose the low lying fruit such as drug and alcohol issues.

How do you feel about those who are grossly overweight ? These people choose food over health each and every day as well.