Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Default Spending a night in the bush, opinions please.

Hey guys,
I would like to know what you guys think.
My hunting spot is about 1.5 hours away from home, i took 10 days off in November for WT and frankly its about 100$ per trip for me with the price of gas. So i am thinking of maybe spending one night out there, never done it before, here is what i have for hardware:
- 8 person ice fishing tent
- Big buddy heater with plenty of propane (i would get a CO sensor)
- Cot and medium heavy sleeping bag.
- Small camping grill
- pickup truck

I know the are fairly well and there are many spots for camping, this is up in 512 so it can get cold very quickly.
Let me know what you guys think, im about 50/50 right now. thanks!
Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM

Giv’er
Been done on the ice lots
2 things: foamie or pad under your sleeping bag
Insulated tarp over tent if it isn’t insulated
#2 isn’t a deal breaker
I’d also put a tarp or 6 mil poly for a floor to keep condensation down
Remember proper venting
I like to run a 4’ piece of 4” sewer pipe under tent to beside heater so it has fresh air to burn

Good luck on the hunt
Old 11-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would make a go of it, water, rations etc and enjoy the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2021, 02:28 PM

Don't see why not.
Don't know what kind of truck you have, but may consider just sleeping in the truck vs bringing a bunch of gear (tent, sleeping bag, cot, heater...) for one night.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:35 PM

Go for it....and take lotsa pics!
Old 11-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Don't see why not.
Don't know what kind of truck you have, but may consider just sleeping in the truck vs bringing a bunch of gear (tent, sleeping bag, cot, heater...) for one night.
thats not a bad idea, i have a half ton chevy...anyone done this before? Im 6,1, 230lbs will i fit comfortably in there?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
thats not a bad idea, i have a half ton chevy...anyone done this before? Im 6,1, 230lbs will i fit comfortably in there?
You’re asking a stranger if you’ll fit in your own truck?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post

Real simple,lay your carcass in the box with the tailgate up, you’ll figure it out real quick.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2021, 03:02 PM

Not a big deal really, I would not stay in the truck personally, a properly set up lean to is all that is needed with a small fire and a good sleeping bag.
I used to hunt and trap like this every fall when I was younger
Cat
Old 11-02-2021, 03:06 PM

I had Ford service truck extented cab F350 had suicide rear doors . I removed the rear fold down seat and installed a foam mattress about 12 inch off the bottom . I think it was 3.5 ft wide and 6 ft long Under it i could store all my stuff . I slept in it once a week for 10 years . Best set up going ,if you get cold at night you just hit your remote start .
Whats nice about this is you can road hunt until it gets dark and park and watch a clear cut all night until morning .

Last edited by -JR-; 11-02-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:24 PM

I do this all the time, all season long when I don't pack my wall tent and my wife and son who is 5 now always accompany me. I'll set up a camp shelter to keep the weather off our cooking/storage area and use the back of our gmc yukon xl for the bedding. Works great for us for the trips without the wall tent.

Only thing different that I would do if I had 10 days off to go hunting is I would spend as many nights out there as I could. Just adds that much more to the outdoor experience imo.

Good luck on your wt hunt
Old 11-02-2021, 04:37 PM

Personally, once bugs are no longer an issue I just use a tarp. I either pitch it like a lean-to or just peg 3 corners and use a stick to raise up the 4th. Use a sleeping bag system that will allow you to sleep comfortably at night, mine is a -12 bag shoved into a cheap over sized bag rated for 0C.

Under my tarp, in my sleeping bags wearing a base layer I've slept fairly comfortably down to -28. When its real cold, make sure you have lots of insulation under you though.

P1080087 by , on Flickr

P6270019 by , on Flickr
Old 11-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Giv’er
Been done on the ice lots
2 things: foamie or pad under your sleeping bag
Insulated tarp over tent if it isn’t insulated
#2 isn’t a deal breaker
I’d also put a tarp or 6 mil poly for a floor to keep condensation down
Remember proper venting
I like to run a 4’ piece of 4” sewer pipe under tent to beside heater so it has fresh air to burn

Good luck on the hunt
Perfecto!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=aragor764;4434117]Hey guys,
I would like to know what you guys think.
My hunting spot is about 1.5 hours away from home, i took 10 days off in November for WT and frankly its about 100$ per trip for me with the price of gas. So i am thinking of maybe spending one night out there, never done it before, here is what i have for hardware:
- 8 person ice fishing tent
- Big buddy heater with plenty of propane (i would get a CO sensor)
- Cot and medium heavy sleeping bag.
- Small camping grill
- pickup truck

I know the are fairly well and there are many spots for camping, this is up in 512 so it can get cold very quickly.
Let me know what you guys think, im about 50/50 right now. thanks![/QUO

You will be fine.Take a tarp and fashion a vestibule over your tent,build a big fire and sit under the tarp.Done this many times with a regular old woods canvas tent. Gets dark to early to be in the tent that long and a fire is better than a TV in the woods.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:12 PM

Ground and wind are the two you want to take care of. Do that and your good. I did this tons when I was younger in a lean to, and loved it. But age and comfort made me buy a 2 man canvas hot tent, the small wood stove is nice, still need a good ground cover though.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:21 PM

I know it seems obvious, but comfort is all about getting the basics right. As a kid we camped out in winter a lot. Coldest night of my life and best sleep of my life were during winter camps. Four rules I learned were: 1) Get off the cold ground (this is solved with a thick foam sleeping pad, or if you want to go old school, a bed of spruce or fir bows; 2) double bag it -- get a good down mummy sleeping bag and tuck it inside a much larger rectangular bag; 3) get out of the wind (this can be a tent, your vehicle, or it can also be a lean-to made of evergreen boughs, or even use snow as a wind barrier/insulation; 4) stay dry - be hyper-vigilant to not get your clothes wet by a fire in the snow and when you crawl into your sleeping bag always try to go to sleep feeling just a little cold -- if you feel toasty warm in your sleeping bag you will wake up sweating and then shiver all night long. I know this advice doesn't include any gear recommendations, but if you apply these principles to your setup, you will sleep like a baby. Have fun!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not a big deal really, I would not stay in the truck personally, a properly set up lean to is all that is needed with a small fire and a good sleeping bag.
Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
Only thing different that I would do if I had 10 days off to go hunting is I would spend as many nights out there as I could.
My thoughts exactly - If in doubt, try a night or two in the back yard with a fire pit to gauge your comfort level, and see if your sleeping bags/bedding and tarp setup are up to the task.

Not a big fan of sleeping in the truck, I just can't get comfortable in the front seats (been there, done that...) Back seat, with some padding, maybe... I kind of find it stuffy, too.

Either way, make sure you have a toque for sleeping. Some people like to have a loose buff to keep the chill off their neck as well. Key is to find balance so you don't wake up in a sweat, like cbc_anderson mentioned earlier.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:48 PM

A high quality sleeping bag and an all season tent and you can do anything
Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
A high quality sleeping bag and an all season tent and you can do anything
Yep...way cheaper than gas commuting...

And you are there to monitor daily game activities...

Whatever you choose, have a good trip!...
Old 11-02-2021, 07:28 PM

as touched on. make sure your base your sleeping on is good, foam mattress, blow up mattress, lots of pine branchs. you lose so much heat though the ground. and good blanket from home,any good quilt, a cover for your head, a 2 lter bottle so you dont have leave your warm tent or truck in middle of the night if ya know what i mean. since your basically car camping bring a pillow. extra socks. wear loose clothing so hot body air is traped in. some munchies. charge up tablet or phone to watch or read stuff, keep your rifle cool so it wont get to warm then when you go out in morning the cold air will condense on the rifle and rust it out. ( happens surprisingly fast ) and have fun, car camping and setting up be side your vehicle is gravy, dont need much, basically everything you will need is at your home now. no need to spend cash. and good lucks on your humt keep us posted.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Truck camping

I spent 9 days under the canopy of my truck last deer season with the weather down to -25. One recommendation I have it to buy a fleece liner for your sleeping bag ( keeps it warmer and is easy to wash) and also buy fleece pyjamas and a comfortable, loose fitting toque to keep your head warm at night, that’s a game changer.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:02 PM

Default Winter camping

If need be, you can use your pillow case to cover your head ( ask me how I know this).😂
Old 11-02-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
I spent 9 days under the canopy of my truck last deer season with the weather down to -25. One recommendation I have it to buy a fleece liner for your sleeping bag ( keeps it warmer and is easy to wash) and also buy fleece pyjamas and a comfortable, loose fitting toque to keep your head warm at night, that’s a game changer.
The Fleece Liner is a really great idea!
Old 11-02-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
I always wear a toque to bed when camping out!
Cat
Old 11-02-2021, 09:19 PM

Go with the tent. And why only one night? Stay until you connect
Old 11-02-2021, 11:22 PM

Instead of a tarp lean to I used to take a little bigger tarp and I'd wrap it around one tree and make a tepee shape. Just big enough for 1 or 2 people with gear. Open on one side for a fire.

No-one mentioned that in a good sleeping bag sleeping naked or close to naked is the warmest. Put some clothes in the bottom of the bag with you. A fleece liner is nice.

200 plus years ago on extremely cold winter nights explorers and trappers would build two long fires and sleep between the fires on boughs.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-03-2021, 12:20 AM

the F150 supercrew is a comfy sleeper. Just need to defrost the windows.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:47 AM

I am of similar size and sleeping in the cab of a truck doesn’t work for me at all. In the box with some mods or a canopy works but keep off the metal to keep warm

Grew up doing multi day hunts at all times of the season in a tent without much issues. Just keep off the ground use a good mat or a cot. A good sleeping bag and a extra blanket is not a bad idea just in case

Just go do it worst case you are not that far from home
Old 11-03-2021, 08:17 AM

Wow great feedback guys! thanks alot, looks like my plan will work! The only thing i will add is a foam pad to put on top of my cot, and maybe a tarp on the floor also the empty jug is a great tip. I will try one night and see how it goes!
Old 11-03-2021, 07:20 PM

Default Suggestion

Add a insulated pad to put onto the cot between the cot and your sleeping bag, or a thick blanket, preferably wool. Add this and you will be considerably warmer in the set up that you described. Other than that you are good to go.

Ken