Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-06-2022, 04:14 PM

Im in the middle of stalling a wood stove on my cargo trailer , then ill insulate my trailer also,
Old 06-06-2022, 05:04 PM

I made my own rudimentary window jack.
Traced window pattern on a piece of scrap canvas. Had my wife sew the Velcro on I provided her.
** Important **
I made sure my sewing was completed first. Phase 2 was completed quietly in the garage.

I then “borrowed “ a stainless mixing bowl and high temp silicone strainer from the pantry ( where cookware goes to die) to make the ring. Piece of scrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2022, 05:12 PM

Scrap aluminum for a backer

I hang a welding blanket from the tent x poles and stove sits pretty tight to wall

Old 06-06-2022, 07:10 PM

I ice camp fishing in the winter with an insulated otter and sleep in the back of my truck with a canopy during hunting season. All the advice on here is great and you’ll figure out your own little tricks and comforts as you try it! I actually look forward to sleeping in the truck canopy after a day of hunting haha…
Old 06-06-2022, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=Moo Snukkle;4528927]Scrap aluminum for a backer

I hang a welding blanket from the tent x poles and stove sits pretty tight to wall

Now thats thinking out of the box, great idea, i might do this with my ice fishing hut
Old 06-07-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Scrap aluminum for a backer

That's exactly what i was thinking of doing, the silicone ring offers some support for the pipe, they sell em on amazon for like 35$. Did you have to brace the chimney at all on the outside? If yes what did you use?
Old 06-07-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Im in the middle of stalling a wood stove on my cargo trailer , then ill insulate my trailer also,
I so want to do that... Just need to get IncrediGirl on board first, though.

I've been catching up on episodes of "Alone" lately. I enjoy seeing what the contestants come up with WRT shelters, what works and what doesn't.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:48 AM

If you can buy a dedicated ring for $35, I’d buy a handful of them.
My research led me into the $150 range to get one in my hands at the time I wanted one
Was very happy with my Homer Simpson model

Old 06-07-2022, 09:56 AM

I’ve got a couple of these adjustable aluminum poles I use
Either stub one in the dirt and wire my stack to it, or as I do on the ice, I tape them in an X, and then wire my stack to them

Old 06-07-2022, 10:43 AM

Find one of these on Jiji
I picked one up for $25 just for the poles
Canvas had a lot of dry rot holes but I cut the floor out of it for scrap canvas and the rest works well when set up at deer camp as an outhouse
First in fires up the Buddy heater in the morning and the crew can do their business in comfort
Seriously considering hiring a little Filipino woman to help dress us in the mornings there as well.
Getting tougher every year to tie your boots with all your cold weather gear on.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:53 AM

Default Kinda important

If you’re going the route of the tent and buddy heater, that heater puts out a LOT of humidity, so be prepared to acquire lots of moisture inside. It’s kind of a fine balance to get sufficient heat and ventilation inside versus cold or intense humidity. I’d forget the buddy heater myself, go with what’s been said above. Use the buddy heater only as a heat source when you’re awake. You’ll discover the humidity aspect really soon after you light it.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I’ve got a friend that does this - works super good.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Find one of these on Jiji
I picked one up for $25 just for the poles
Heh, we had one of those in the early 70's...

It was superseded with a larger one (made by Norseman). It was huge, but it set up quickly with its click-lock adjustable aluminum poles. Man, that would be a beauty to have right now... I think it was thrown out when Dad passed away (I suppose it got musty from not being used).
Old 06-07-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
If you’re going the route of the tent and buddy heater, that heater puts out a LOT of humidity, so be prepared to acquire lots of moisture inside. It’s kind of a fine balance to get sufficient heat and ventilation inside versus cold or intense humidity. I’d forget the buddy heater myself, go with what’s been said above. Use the buddy heater only as a heat source when you’re awake. You’ll discover the humidity aspect really soon after you light it.
I know, that is why i am going with the wood stove this year, when i camped last November I woke up and the whole ceiling was covered in ice/snow/water. Not the best, but i was only there for one night which was ok.
This is the hardware i am currently looking at getting.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:23 AM

Not a bad looking stove aragor.
But in my opinion, you should consider a stove with a capacity closer to that of a 30 lb propane bottle. Say something with a 22” long firebox. What you’d be gaining is longer run time with a little bigger wood. I have a stove I made from a 30 lb propane btl and I effectively get a 4 hr burn from it before it needs refilling.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Not a bad looking stove aragor.
But in my opinion, you should consider a stove with a capacity closer to that of a 30 lb propane bottle. Say something with a 22” long firebox. What you’d be gaining is longer run time with a little bigger wood. I have a stove I made from a 30 lb propane btl and I effectively get a 4 hr burn from it before it needs refilling.

Completely agree. If your hot tenting in the backcountry and need to pack it in, those ultralight stoves are great but they have really short burn times. My little dyi ultra light will give maybe an hour without stoking. My diy propane bottle stove will burn 3-4hrs no problem. Building them is not hard especially if you have access to a welder. If you have room in the tent and vehicle access go as big as possible. Ultra lights are better than nothing but are best kept for those pack in situations.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:45 AM

Good call, i might try and do that, what size exhaust do you have? My storage space is pretty small so a bunch of 6" pipes would be a PITA to be honest...is a 4" ok for a 30lbs tank size stove?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:01 AM

5” pipe is what you want
Reasonably easy to find. Trust me on that. Finding pipe and dampers is not what it used to be.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:24 PM

With the great feedback you guys gave me I think I am going to go get one of these, there is a guy in town that makes them, looks like good quality stuff!

Old 06-10-2022, 06:03 PM

My version. I figured 3 legs would be easier to stabilize.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-10-2022, 08:28 PM

Aragor, ask if there is a baffle in that stove. If not, have him put one or else all your flame will just go up the pipe. Killer stove Grizz. Looks about as light as my 75lb’er lol
Old 06-13-2022, 02:33 PM

Like those stoves, for sure!

Still futzing around trying to figure out the optimal hot tent combo for my longer forays in the bush.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:31 AM

When small campers like a truck camper or small bumper pull run their propane furnace does it still fill the camper with condensation or is it mostly vented outside? I asking about weather -10 and below.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
When small campers like a truck camper or small bumper pull run their propane furnace does it still fill the camper with condensation or is it mostly vented outside? I asking about weather -10 and below.
I had a big truck camper and used it hunting down to -15 or so. The furnace is vented so in theory there shouldn't be much condensation, and there wasn't when it was empty during the day, but as soon as a couple people sit in it for a few hours the condensation starts to build up. Thin walls with poor insulation and lots of thermal bridging and air leakage and you can't avoid condensation at those temps.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I had a big truck camper and used it hunting down to -15 or so. The furnace is vented so in theory there shouldn't be much condensation, and there wasn't when it was empty during the day, but as soon as a couple people sit in it for a few hours the condensation starts to build up. Thin walls with poor insulation and lots of thermal bridging and air leakage and you can't avoid condensation at those temps.
Was it still worth while for a week long trip? If you had the furnace running for a bit while you’re out during the day would it dry stuff out?
Old 06-15-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Was it still worth while for a week long trip? If you had the furnace running for a bit while you’re out during the day would it dry stuff out?
The condensation on the walls/ceiling was usually dried off by the time we got back to camp
Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Part of the reason I like that setup I posted on page one in cold weather is that it handles condensation nicely, lol.

Even with a cabin/ wood stove in cold weather I've found that I just spend much of the night transitioning between being either uncomfortably hot or uncomfortably cold as the fire is repeatedly stoked and burnt down, and I dont end up sleeping very well. I'll take lots of ventilation and a warm sleeping bag any day.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:24 AM

My plan for now is to spend 3 nights in my ice fishing tent + wood stove during the week of November 13th, I'll let you guys know how it went, I am fairly new to hunting (5 years), and i am pretty excited to become more self sufficient. With the current setup I have now + the TingerDog I bought last year, hunting season should be real exciting! Thats my chariot below!
Old 06-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Banned

That thing looks awesome
How do you like it
Old 06-16-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That thing looks awesome
How do you like it
Love it! perfect for the bush and small trails, takes a while to getting used to but once you figure it out its awesome.