Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2022, 02:57 PM

I have 5 big game rifles:

6.5x55
7mmx300 WBY
.30-06

If I had to pick 2 I would take the 6.5x55 and .30-06 but if I only had to take one id take my .30-06 and call it a day.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
270? 30-06? Can't decide?

The last few years I have really been enjoying hunting with their love child: the 280 Remington. It's my suggestion for an all around rifle.
x2.
It's a shame they are hard to find in factory rifles.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2022, 10:08 AM

Funny almost no one recommends the 308. Short action, out performs both Creedmore and 7-08, and both ammo and bullets are easier to find.
One day everyone is gonna want a 308 because no one else has one.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:49 AM

my main hunting rifle is a 300wsm I love that cartrige.

that said i also have 2 7mm mags, 2 308 winchester, a 257 wby mag, 450 marlin and a 375 ruger as backups.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Funny almost no one recommends the 308. Short action, out performs both Creedmore and 7-08, and both ammo and bullets are easier to find.
The 308 Win is a chip shot in taking 350 - 400 yard shots.

Know your distances.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Consider Ammo Availablity

These days I would not consider a caliber that is difficult to get ammo for. They will all do the job if you hit them in the lungs at a reasonable distance.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
One day everyone is gonna want a 308 because no one else has one.
And as true as all that is, the .338 Federal is even more better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
These days I would not consider a caliber that is difficult to get ammo for. They will all do the job if you hit them in the lungs at a reasonable distance.
What cartridge isn’t difficult to get ammo for?
Old 11-22-2022, 07:42 PM

My Favorite Five.

.35 Whelen AI (200-250 gr)
.30-06. (165 gr-180gr)
.280 Rem AI. (140 gr-162gr)
.22-250. (55 gr-70 gr)
.20 Tactical (32 gr-40gr))

Last edited by Salavee; 11-22-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:02 AM

As long as you can shoot it well, your 7mm-08 is all you need. It’s ballistically superior to the 308 and can be loaded to similar loads.

If you can’t shoot it well, then I’d recommend getting a heavier rifle in 7mm-08 or 308. Id rather carry an extra lb on a rifle I shoot accurately than go hike 25kms to get into sheep country and miss the shot. You can cut the pound in other places.

If you’re worried about bears hunting sheep buy bearspray. Will most likely be more effective if you get charged by a bear. I can’t imagine trying to shoot a running bear at less than 30 yards with a scoped gun. Also when I hike into the backcountry my rifle is packed in my bag, so would be useless at the time I’m most likely to encounter a bear. I can carry the bearspray on the waist belt of my pack for quick access.

If you just want a new gun to add to the stable. I think the 300WM in a heavier rifle would compliment what you have now well. I wouldn’t plan to use it backcountry, but have it set up for hunting the prairie fields where 300 yard+ shots are likely. Light weight guns and magnum cartridges usually don’t work well together.

Just my 2 cents for what they’re worth.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-24-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
As long as you can shoot it well, your 7mm-08 is all you need. It’s ballistically superior to the 308 and can be loaded to similar loads.

If you can’t shoot it well, then I’d recommend getting a heavier rifle in 7mm-08 or 308. Id rather carry an extra lb on a rifle I shoot accurately than go hike 25kms to get into sheep country and miss the shot. You can cut the pound in other places.

If you’re worried about bears hunting sheep buy bearspray. Will most likely be more effective if you get charged by a bear. I can’t imagine trying to shoot a running bear at less than 30 yards with a scoped gun. Also when I hike into the backcountry my rifle is packed in my bag, so would be useless at the time I’m most likely to encounter a bear. I can carry the bearspray on the waist belt of my pack for quick access.

If you just want a new gun to add to the stable. I think the 300WM in a heavier rifle would compliment what you have now well. I wouldn’t plan to use it backcountry, but have it set up for hunting the prairie fields where 300 yard+ shots are likely. Light weight guns and magnum cartridges usually don’t work well together.

Just my 2 cents for what they’re worth.
How's the 7-08 superior to 308? Please don't split hairs with ballistic coefficients and sectional density. Those tiny differences are inconsequential at pretty much any hunting distance, and especially when comparing two so closely matched cartridges. I've had both and somehow never could squeeze the same velocity out of the 7-08 with the same bullet weight.
While 150 gr. is optimal for the 308, bullets over 160 gr. are getting out of the 7-08s' useful range, but not the 308s'. Many 308 shooters in fact prefer 165 gr. and even 180 gr.
Not that the 7-08 isn't a fine cartridge; it just has a slightly smaller niche. Sorry, my 2 cents. I guess I just like the campfire gun talk.

I agree a heavier rifle (7.5-9lb.) is often given less credit for its advantages than for the disadvantages of a light rifle in a heavy recoiling caliber/cartridge.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
How's the 7-08 superior to 308? Please don't split hairs with ballistic coefficients and sectional density. Those tiny differences are inconsequential at pretty much any hunting distance, and especially when comparing two so closely matched cartridges. I've had both and somehow never could squeeze the same velocity out of the 7-08 with the same bullet weight.
While 150 gr. is optimal for the 308, bullets over 160 gr. are getting out of the 7-08s' useful range, but not the 308s'. Many 308 shooters in fact prefer 165 gr. and even 180 gr.
Not that the 7-08 isn't a fine cartridge; it just has a slightly smaller niche. Sorry, my 2 cents. I guess I just like the campfire gun talk.

I agree a heavier rifle (7.5-9lb.) is often given less credit for its advantages than for the disadvantages of a light rifle in a heavy recoiling caliber/cartridge.
In theory the 7mm-08 should shoot flatter and have less wind drift. That’s assuming you can get similar velocities. The big negative against the 7mm is you have to reload, you don’t really have a choice.

In saying that I just did a quick check.

In a 7mm-08 with a 175gn ABLR bullet travelling at 2600 fps you’ll have 8.6” of drop and 2000ft/lbs energy at 300 yards.

I just pulled my Federal Gold Metal Match rounds off the shelf. The 175gn MK fired at 2600 fps will drop 9.1” and have 1717ft/lbs energy.

By 400 yards the MK is under 1500ft/lbs energy, the 7mm-08 however hits 1500 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards.

Both rifles sighted in for 200 yards.

For the OP who already has a 7mm-08, I see no reason for him to go buy a 308. If he didn’t have a rifle and wanted a new one Id recommend the 308 due to ammo availability and cost of shooting. Which is important as I believe accuracy is a major factor to a successful hunt.

I also wanted to say I like the heavy bullets as they seem to shoot well out of my gun. I also don’t have to change for Elk or Moose and they perform competently within 300 yards which is my limit for hunting. My load uses the 180gn AB shooting at 2610 fps which I’m happy with.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-25-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
308 win

For real
Old 11-25-2022, 12:13 PM

6.8 Westren.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Banned

On this continent, objectively, given the record? .30-06 hands-down.

In terms of centerfire rifles, if there had never been anything other than the .30-06 and the .223 perhaps, we'd not have been suffering. We'd have been getting done everything we needed to get done hunting-wise. The rest of it has been the result of us monkeys liking to tinker. We have all those calibres cos we can. They are not necessary by a long shot, pun intended.

How about the best rifles to go with these rounds? The answer to that requires a person to examine the record involving the world's greatest hunters (as far as we know.) I think you'd have to pick the Winchester model 70 for open country and the Remington 760/7600 for the bush. I'd say more of the most experiened hunters have settled on these rifles for these applications than any others.

The answer changes somewhat when you take the whole globe into account. In which case you'd have to settle on the .375 H&H. Too bad that one doesn't come in a Remington pump.

Last edited by gulo; 01-13-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post

In terms of centerfire rifles, if there had never been anything other than the .30-06 and the .223 perhaps, we'd not have been suffering. We'd have been getting done everything we needed to get done hunting-wise. The rest of it has been the result of us monkeys liking to tinker. We have all those calibres cos we can. They are not necessary by a long shot, pun intended.

How about the best rifles to go with these rounds? The answer to that requires a person to examine the record involving the world's greatest hunters (as far as we know.) I think you'd have to pick the Winchester model 70 for open country and the Remington 760/7600 for the bush. I'd say more of the most experiened hunters have settled on these rifles for these applications than any others.

The answer changes somewhat when you take the whole globe into account. In which case you'd have to settle on the .375 H&H. Too bad that one doesn't come in a Remington pump.
So you think a 375 H&H in a Remington pump action would be a big seller?
Old 01-13-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
When I look around, I see 6.5CM all over the place, even on good sale. That includes loaded ammo, but also bullets and brass to load yours. Some particular loaded ammo is hard to come by, yet creedmore is in stock and on sale, lol.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
When I look around, I see 6.5CM all over the place, even on good sale. That includes loaded ammo, but also bullets and brass to load yours. Some particular loaded ammo is hard to come by, yet creedmore is in stock and on sale, lol.
Probably because they are discontinued lol
Old 01-13-2023, 08:06 PM

The 6.5 CM ammo is readily available most places as the short compact rounds fit nicely in a purse.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:

How about the best rifles to go with these rounds? I think you'd have to pick the Winchester model 70 for open country.

As long as you don't mind spending money to make them accurate, getting the volume adjusted on the safety lever, and doing 300 pushups a day in the months leading up to hunting season its a great choice.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The 6.5 CM ammo is readily available most places as the short compact rounds fit nicely in a purse.

Excellent for starting your Starbucks as well. Have heard rumors the cartridges fit snugly inside the holes in crocs so perfect if a guy takes a liking to convenient lime green and bright yellow ammo holders.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Who uses these rifles?
Very few use a model 70
Even less use a pump center fire
There is next to no aftermarket support for these.
The rem 700 wins by a landslide
Pumps are good for a 22

As for caliber
Nothing is more common around the world than a 300 win.
Can be used on effectively on anything with the exception of maybe elephants, rhinos, and hippos. But if I was in a pinch I would use it with solids even on the big 5
Old 01-14-2023, 08:30 AM

Still a bit unclear regarding whether the thread is about cartridge or rifle or both but I guess there's some of everything here. Lots depends on where, what, and how a person's hunting I'd think, but cartridge wouldnt be high on my list for the most Part in 2 of those scenarios. If I'm sitting in a heated, elevated blind in a Lazy Boy I'd be cool with a 16 lb set up on a tripod, shooting pretty much anything through a 4-40, heat indicating, motion sensing, illuminated scope. Hiking the hills for mule deer and elk not so much. Lazy Boys are awkward.

By far the most important attribute for my hunting style is a set up that can quickly and easily be transported, loaded, fired, and tossed back through the rear window of a quad cab in the event of a CO approaching at speed. Bonus points for rearview mirrors that support a forestock nicely while I'm one leg out the door. For these purposes I'm in the ultra light, shorter barrel, detachable mag, Tupperware stock camp. I'll worry about the cartridge later.

Last edited by 270person; 01-14-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Who uses these rifles?
Very few use a model 70
Pumps are good for a 22

As for caliber
Can be used on effectively on anything with the exception of maybe elephants, rhinos, and hippos. But if I was in a pinch I would use it with solids even on the big 5
Good heavens man. Millions hunt with the Model 70. There is an entire culture of big woods buck hunting excellence that has been virtually built around Remington pumps meanwhile for generations now.

I can't account for the statements you've made other than see below.
Around the world you run out of ammo, .30-06 and .375 H&H are what you want to be carrying. .308, another. Though .30-06 is slightly more versatile, and will give you another 50 effective yards than the latter. The .375 H&H has been the answer for many professionals for years to the question "If you only had one rifle to hunt the world over with what would it be..." I don't think i've even read or heard anyone even mention the .300 win in such discussions involving seasoned pros.

I get it though the fact that we are in Alberta. The tastes here tend to be biased towards "new and shiny and fired from a bolt action." Which may or may not have anything to do with what is actually best for the application. I think it's important to remember that Alberta is by no means "the world." Just one small and fairly obscure corner of it. Kinda like North Dakota.

I've been hunting for 45 years. I only just started hunting with the .30-06. But i've been aware that it has been the calibre by which all others are measured pretty much all along, on this continent. In the old world, where Africa looms large on the radar, the .375 H&H. I've been carrying the latter for some years now, when the griz are about. One of the handful of very best preferred bear safety calibres. Drawback being the guns tend to be more than a tad on the heavy side. Probably the most versatile round on the planet, though. Will work on everything from small deer to elephants with minimal meat damage, typically much less than a winmag.

Remington 700 is a great classic rifle for sure, and Remington is general up until very recently has been a fantastic company. The lack of controlled-round feed is why it loses out to the old and newer Model 70's though.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
By far the most important attribute for my hunting style is a set up that can quickly and easily be transported, loaded, fired, and tossed back through the rear window of a quad cab in the event of a CO approaching at speed. Bonus points for rearview mirrors that support a forestock nicely while I'm one leg out the door. For these purposes I'm in the ultra light, shorter barrel, detachable mag, Tupperware stock camp. I'll worry about the cartridge later.
I'd say a molded-into-the-stock beer holder is the most vital attribute for this style of hunting.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Who uses these rifles?
Very few use a model 70
Pumps are good for a 22

As for caliber
What aftermarket support do you want exactly? No one hunts with a Model 70?

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-14-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
What aftermarket support do you want exactly? No one hunts with a Model 70?
Anything to upgrade and improve the basic rifle that you would buy
Not as many triggers to choose from
Not as many stocks are inletted for them
Etc

I know of maybe 1-2 guys that use a Winchester 70
I know at least 10x as many that use a tikka
Far far more use a 700 based rifle
Old 01-14-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'd say a molded-into-the-stock beer holder is the most vital attribute for this style of hunting.

And a camo pool noodle. Got to be stealthy.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good heavens man. Millions hunt with the Model 70. There is an entire culture of big woods buck hunting excellence that has been virtually built around Remington pumps meanwhile for generations now.

I can't account for the statements you've made other than see below.
Around the world you run out of ammo, .30-06 and .375 H&H are what you want to be carrying. .308, another. Though .30-06 is slightly more versatile, and will give you another 50 effective yards than the latter. The .375 H&H has been the answer for many professionals for years to the question "If you only had one rifle to hunt the world over with what would it be..." I don't think i've even read or heard anyone even mention the .300 win in such discussions involving seasoned pros.

I get it though the fact that we are in Alberta. The tastes here tend to be biased towards "new and shiny and fired from a bolt action." Which may or may not have anything to do with what is actually best for the application. I think it's important to remember that Alberta is by no means "the world." Just one small and fairly obscure corner of it. Kinda like North Dakota.

I've been hunting for 45 years. I only just started hunting with the .30-06. But i've been aware that it has been the calibre by which all others are measured pretty much all along, on this continent. In the old world, where Africa looms large on the radar, the .375 H&H. I've been carrying the latter for some years now, when the griz are about. One of the handful of very best preferred bear safety calibres. Drawback being the guns tend to be more than a tad on the heavy side. Probably the most versatile round on the planet, though. Will work on everything from small deer to elephants with minimal meat damage, typically much less than a winmag.

Remington 700 is a great classic rifle for sure, and Remington is general up until very recently has been a fantastic company. The lack of controlled-round feed is why it loses out to the old and newer Model 70's though.
There is a multiple times more tikka users than model 70 users
As far as people preferring controlled round feeds
There is probably 10x as many sakos out there being used that model 70’s

I have been to 1 location where a 30/06 has been a camp rifle
Everywhere else, it is a 300 win
I’ve never gone on a hunt where a 30/06 is suggested

Meat wastage is a result of 3 things, bullet construction, velocity, and shot placement. All of these can be altered dramatically with a 300 win mag. You can’t do the same with a 375. A 375 shooting soft points is going to make an absolute mess on anything it hits. And it’s going to have very disappointing penetration as well. Choosing the wrong bullet would also make your 375 pretty useless against a grizzly.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Anything to upgrade and improve the basic rifle that you would buy

Like things to improve the out of the box accuracy? Yeesh. Most manufacturers claim certain moa capabilities. True or not so much. Winchester? Nada. I guess guaranteeing 1.75 moa wouldn't be conducive to sales. Its hard enough just trying to keep up with where they're being built every 5 years.