Congrats man!! Great buck!!
Old 11-13-2022, 04:33 PM

Congrats Smoky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok made it home now

Well that was faster then I was expecting. Called this guy in this morning and things happened pretty quick. Didn’t get a lot of time to judge him as I was only get a short window in the timber. Seen he was wider than his ears with decent mass and made the call to take him as he passed through a 5ft window

Took him slightly quartering away through the lungs and top of the heart. He took off like a rocket making it 60yards

No giant but a respectable 8pt I have no complaints about

Smoky curious to ask what is your calling technique?
What did you do on this guy?
Do you have brandname particular grunt call etc that you like?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-13-2022, 07:06 PM

^ His post from last year’s thread of his on the subject: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showp...&postcount=238

I am not sure if this post has the calls he uses but there is one in last year thread, if I recall correctly.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Smoky curious to ask what is your calling technique?
What did you do on this guy?
Do you have brandname particular grunt call etc that you like?
So last season after having multiple mature bucks hang up and circle rattling I opted to put the antlers away this year. The older bucks seem to be getting cautious of rattling in my area. Late last season decided to try calling without rattling and found the bucks were not hanging up

This year it’s been nothing but doe bleats and grunts. Zero bucks hung up for me but it was a short season for me too

This buck was called in using a true talker grunt tube, a primose original can, and the long can. I used the calls in combination to create a the illusion of a buck tending a doe in estrus. Basically light short grunts and I change the tone to add some realism. I use the two different sounding can calls to sound like a doe estrus. Everything is kept light and maybe 2-5 grunts to 3-4 bleats and wait 15min. Be sure to add gaps and cycle between the calls well doing a set. If I hear a deer walking near by I do call to them

I am not trying to bring them in from a long ways but instead just get them to step into my area so I can see them. Often the bucks I call in are already within 150yards but I can’t see that far in my spots so I need to draw them much closer. Really 50yards or less is often my shooting window. Most bucks are shot inside 30yards

It works well for my conditions and drawing in deer that are fairly close to start with
Old 11-13-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ His post from last year’s thread of his on the subject: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showp...&postcount=238

I am not sure if this post has the calls he uses but there is one in last year thread, if I recall correctly.
That covers a good chunk of stuff I do or have done to get results

In the end a guy really has to go out and try things to see what gets results
Old 11-13-2022, 08:18 PM

Interesting, thnx.

Ya I believe the most important thing when calling is proximity. Whether that's moose or deer, although moose are different.

Too far not going to respond, too close likely to spook the game, it's like baby bear's porridge, there's a just right distance.

And that's just the start. Then the calls need to be right, not overdo it etc...

I have one of the Primos bleat cans but I've never bothered with it.
Combination grunts and rattling for me has been successful.

But so far this year I haven't had any bucks come to my rattling or grunts.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-13-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thnx.

Ya I believe the most important thing when calling is proximity. Whether that's moose or deer, although moose are different.

Too far not going to respond, too close likely to spook the game, it's like baby bear's porridge, there's a just right distance.

And that's just the start. Then the calls need to be right, not overdo it etc...

I have one of the Primos bleat cans but I've never bothered with it.
Combination grunts and rattling for me has been successful.

But so far this year I haven't had any bucks come to my rattling or grunts.
Calling is definitely something you need to find your style and what works you. The location you hunt also play a roll on what will give you the best results

Even your example with moose for me my best results are actually up close in the timber but odds are we have a different calling style that we adapted to match our hunting style

I am a big fan of subtle calling using jealousy to trigger a response vs trying to pick a fight through aggression

Personally I am a big fan of doe bleats because I know both aggressive and passive bucks think with their pecker during the rut
Old 11-13-2022, 08:57 PM

Default Thank you for such a great post and read

Congrats to you for your harvest SB
Good luck to all out there.

Cheers
GJ
Old 11-14-2022, 07:59 AM

Well doing a ground sit with the wife and playing caller. This guy has been around for some time but daylight movement has improved so we are making a play for him

Today’s view

Old 11-14-2022, 09:08 AM

Ok the wife has triggered my OCD

Tip for everyone if you are going to hunt tight quarters like this wear clothes that don’t make noise when you move

I am trying to ride it out but I am about to drag her back to town for a different jacket
Old 11-14-2022, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That’s funny how they act to noise, I just rattled in an 8 pointer and when I moved to get the rifle up and on him I knocked over my rattling antler against the rifle barrel, well the crazy bugger ran right to me and at 30 yards I passed.
Now some have bolted just to the sound of my stomach grumbling!
Lol

Good luck to you two!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That’s funny how they act to noise, I just rattled in an 8 pointer and when I moved to get the rifle up and on him I knocked over my rattling antler against the rifle barrel, well the crazy bugger ran right to me and at 30 yards I passed.
Now some have bolted just to the sound of my stomach grumbling!
Lol

Good luck to you two!

Oh I hate noise well sitting. It might just be all in my head but the first thing I check when buying hunting clothes is if it’s silent or not.

Big reason I rarely sit with others
Old 11-14-2022, 10:28 AM

thats why I wear wool and/or fleece when I hunt in my blinds. I also put carpet on the floor. My one chair has a little squeek when moved sometimes and it drives me crazy...LOL
Old 11-14-2022, 11:28 AM

Well done, Smoky!
Old 11-14-2022, 11:52 AM

Very solid deer there, congrats
Old 11-14-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
thats why I wear wool and/or fleece when I hunt in my blinds. I also put carpet on the floor. My one chair has a little squeek when moved sometimes and it drives me crazy...LOL
Your chair would trigger my OCD and if I could not fix it I would replace it lol

By the way that buck was shot out of the stand I got from you
Old 11-14-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Your chair would trigger my OCD and if I could not fix it I would replace it lol

By the way that buck was shot out of the stand I got from you
Good to hear SB, glad it came in use. I actually was surprised to hear you cut your tag already having 2 weeks off, LOL. Best of luck to the rest of your family and friends.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Good to hear SB, glad it came in use. I actually was surprised to hear you cut your tag already having 2 weeks off, LOL. Best of luck to the rest of your family and friends.
It’s not the first time I have tagged out before or at the start of my holidays lol

I could have held out and went for broke on certain deer but at that moment everything seemed right so I took my opportunity. I have no regrets on my choice and am happy with the buck I took. I am a little unpredictable on my choice to pull the trigger or not and really just decide in the moment. Sometimes I pass on bucks many would not and other times I just decide to fill a tag

It is also nice to have my buck tag filled so I can help others who will be coming out a few days. This way I can focus on giving them the best opportunities possible. Right now I am crossing my fingers I can get my gorilla of a cousin into one of my hang on stands. He is after his first buck and I think it would be awesome if he gets one of the giants I left behind

There is a fair number of friends and family that ask me every season if they can come out hunting. So a good part of season is actually trying to help them rather then myself. I enjoy taking them out and giving them the opportunity though

The warning has already been passed around that there is going to season everyone is going to be told to pound sand and I am going to be selfish so I can go hard for a season
Old 11-15-2022, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You did it your way!
It’s just gotta feel right and as you know it will and when it does it’s your choice.
I put my son on what I call shooters and he passes, his choice, shouldn’t show him all the trail cam pics

A nice 9 point came in 20 minutes ago or so, safety off, pass, mind said too early, wait one….
Good luck to your crew can hardly wait for more posts!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2022, 08:15 AM

Well there was a unicorn taken by my one buddy. He is definitely a freezer first guy so he doesn’t discriminate lol

Not the most classy pic but here it is

Old 11-15-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Calling is definitely something you need to find your style and what works you. The location you hunt also play a roll on what will give you the best results

Even your example with moose for me my best results are actually up close in the timber but odds are we have a different calling style that we adapted to match our hunting style

I am a big fan of subtle calling using jealousy to trigger a response vs trying to pick a fight through aggression

Personally I am a big fan of doe bleats because I know both aggressive and passive bucks think with their pecker during the rut
When I am calling moose, #1 priority is fresh sign.
But second is optimum set-up. Since I can call/coax a bull over 1 or more days of calling, I make sure I'm calling him into a favourable vantage site for me.
I do not like calling in wide open areas, I always prefer to be in cover, but again I pick that spot that has an advantage for me. I do always like some kind of opening or shooting lane downwind of me.

With deer I find in the timber, where there's lots of scrapes, rub line etc, converging trails etc... and I prefer to use a climbing stand.

One reason I haven't bothered with much grunting/rattling yet is I've been focussed on a crossing area between 2 pieces of bush, and no advantage to using the climber there.

But I've been checking a couple of my cams and next time out I'm going to switch it up and get more into the timber. Then I'll get into the climber and try some grunting and rattling.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-15-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
When I am calling moose, #1 priority is fresh sign.
But second is optimum set-up. Since I can call/coax a bull over 1 or more days of calling, I make sure I'm calling him into a favourable vantage site for me.
I do not like calling in wide open areas, I always prefer to be in cover, but again I pick that spot that has an advantage for me. I do always like some kind of opening or shooting lane downwind of me.

With deer I find in the timber, where there's lots of scrapes, rub line etc, converging trails etc... and I prefer to use a climbing stand.

One reason I haven't bothered with much grunting/rattling yet is I've been focussed on a crossing area between 2 pieces of bush, and no advantage to using the climber there.

But I've been checking a couple of my cams and next time out I'm going to switch it up and get more into the timber. Then I'll get into the climber and try some grunting and rattling.
In the end we both have our ways and they work for us

Sounds like even though we target similar areas we go about things differently on what locations we choose to target. From seeing the trail cam pics you have posted and what you describe I pretty confident on this. I am actually very picky on my locations and the sign I set on. I probably walk past areas many would deem awesome because they are missing a factor or two that I believe is missing

Your calling style for both moose and deer sounds similar to some methods I was originally taught as a teen. Those mentors definitely took/take game and so have I doing so. Overtime I just developed what I like from trying things and adapting what others have taught me

There is no right or wrong in either choice just different

Best of luck out there
Old 11-15-2022, 11:15 AM

^ I make a point of locating my cameras with easy access to swap memory cards, rather then delving deep into the bush trails. And that's just to make memory card swaps quick and easy.

On the record I've got 3 specific bucks that I'm hunting.

#1. I saw a GIANT buck last year, just a slob of a buck. I could have shot it easily but it was after hunting hours, standing beside the road. I passed my ethics test.
But that deer either died last winter, or it was one of those bucks traveling from another location, due to chasing does in the rut.
I never got a single pic or video of him... I have a sorta idea where he might be but I digress. But trust me a massive body, largest whitetail I've ever seen on the hoof or in pics (talking body size).
His rack was so wide, dark and heavy in the dark I couldn't see it all.

#2. Got a buck with a wicked cool 5"-6" sticker off the back of his right G2, plus a second beam growing out of his right antler base, with a typical I'd reckon 155" main frame 5x5.
But with the stickers I think he's a 5x8 or 5x9.
He's also a real huge bodied deer, but not like #1.

#3. Got another huge bodied buck that is a wide, high 4x4 that's got some smaller sticker points.
He seems to have gone AWOL... like as in maybe the wolves/cougars got him.
He was a regular on my cams for months and months...

I've got to work today and tomorrow then I'm off til the 29th.

Also on the record, if some other hog of a buck shows up, that I've never seen before, then I won't concern myself if it doesn't happen to be one of the 3 target bucks I've mentioned.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-15-2022, 12:08 PM

Best of luck out there look forward to your success story and pics
Old 11-15-2022, 12:35 PM

^ Ahem... story and excuses prepped! I'm an expert in screwing up on big bucks!!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-15-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
^ Ahem... story and excuses prepped! I'm an expert in screwing up on big bucks!!
I call it underestimating their intelligence

This year my goal was a mature buck and help my cousin get his first buck so I had fairly relaxing expectations for this year. My goals change every year sometimes they are high sometimes they are nothing to do with me at all
Old 11-15-2022, 02:16 PM

I have a wealth of experience with Ground Shrinkage, lol.

Honestly pretty much every really big buck I ever had a chance at walked away unscathed.
I am a master at shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I have too many heartbreak stories to ever want to start telling them.

I think Homer Simpson got the expression 'Doh!' from me.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-15-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I have a wealth of experience with Ground Shrinkage, lol.

Honestly pretty much every really big buck I ever had a chance at walked away unscathed.
I am a master at shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I have too many heartbreak stories to ever want to start telling them.

I think Homer Simpson got the expression 'Doh!' from me.
Sounds like you need to find kill mode!!
Old 11-15-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Sounds like you need to find kill mode!!
I've shot a few nice bucks, but no really big ones...

Best deer I've ever had on my cams and I never hunted him, which is a long story.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic.

Phil Shoemaker