Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Default Muir Lake - tougher than ever?

Dumb question, but is anyone else having problems catching trout at Muir? Normally I have a pretty good track record on the lake but this year has been a bust - tried chromomids, trolling, balanced leeches, etc. I water is obviously higher and darker. At this point I am hoping for good boatman hatches, until then I'll likely try Hasse
Thanks and have a great day
Old 09-11-2022, 05:31 PM

You are not alone. I have been there once this year at the beginning of June. Caught no fish and did not even get a hit. One other angler on the lake and I didn't see him catch a fish. Maybe some summer kill last year. My notes say "saw some dead minnows and dead backswimmers but no dead fish". Last year's results were mixed. I also noticed the high water and the continuously stained water in the fall. I thought about getting my float tube out for a few hours last week to try it but decided against it.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:06 PM

Not only Muir. I was on Spring Lake yesterday for 4 hours and just a few tentative taps on trolled or suspended leech patterns. Same for another flyfisher. I drove by Muir on the way and only one truck in the parking lot at 11 am.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:40 AM

I have not fished Muir at all this year. I think last years summerkill combined with the unusual/turbid water have done a number on this fishery. An extremely eutrophic lake that may have peaked a few years ago. Sad as it was growing some big fish with the aerators allowing overwintering.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Not only Muir. I was on Spring Lake yesterday for 4 hours and just a few tentative taps on trolled or suspended leech patterns. Same for another flyfisher. I drove by Muir on the way and only one truck in the parking lot at 11 am.
The lakes are still cooling off. Spring lake should pick up soon.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:39 PM

I was there today for a few hours and not a single blip on the fish finder, or visual of any kind. I systematically went to all the spots where I've caught fish and some new areas and nothing. A lot of dead minnows as well, and no birds to be seen.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:31 PM

Summerkill here, and in BC my son just got back from the Columbia valley,many smaller lakes were a bust not even a fish moving.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:14 AM

Muir hasn’t fished all that great since the winter they shut the aerators off, only to turn them back on the next winter.
I think the province needs to rethink this project and move those funds and effort to another body of water. Muir is way too shallow and choked with weeds most of the year. It’s a glorified slough. Make it a put and take and let it die every winter.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Muir hasn’t fished all that great since the winter they shut the aerators off, only to turn them back on the next winter.
I think the province needs to rethink this project and move those funds and effort to another body of water. Muir is way too shallow and choked with weeds most of the year. It’s a glorified slough. Make it a put and take and let it die every winter.
That's not an ideal solution given all the volunteer hours put in to rehabbing the lake with the interpretive walk.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
That's not an ideal solution given all the volunteer hours put in to rehabbing the lake with the interpretive walk.
I fully agree. What a waste of all that effort just to have pickerel riggers come in and clean out the lake after stocking!
Old 09-21-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I fully agree. What a waste of all that effort just to have pickerel riggers come in and clean out the lake after stocking!
Wish the CO's visited the lake regularly... guys with pickerel rigs, trolling bait, gas motors (if I recall it's a no gas engine lake). Calling it in is a crapshoot

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk