Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 12:50 PM

Default 2022 Harvest Thread

Hey fellow outdoorsmen,

I always appreciate Lefty’s harvest thread (definitely one of my favorites each year) and noticed we are getting some awesome non archery harvest coming through the site, so I better get a thread going.

Not everyone wants to start their own thread, so please post up a picture of your success (doesn’t just have to be antlered, any harvest is great!) from this season. Please keep the comments positive.

Good luck to all.

DR
Old 10-23-2022, 09:02 AM

Default 2022 Harvest Thread

Might as well bump this thread with a few pictures from this past week antelope hunt down around Medicine Hat. I was able to guide my cousin in for his first antelope and later in the week top it off with a non trophy of my own.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2022, 09:42 AM

Congrats DR!! Two fine animals!!

Can I ask what the draw time is for non trophy usually?

Just curious is all.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:02 AM

Old 10-23-2022, 11:34 AM

I’ll get in on this. Here’s my son with my 2022 pronghorn. He was #2 on my hit list… #1 had a bunch of other guys hunting him. We first found him a week before the season started, and after leaving #1, we relocated this one right away. Nobody was around, so we watched him for a bit, got plenty of photos and video before a quick stalk along a fence line for a 220 yard shot with my tikka 6.5CM.
Set out this year to get a buck bigger than my 2019 79-1/8” archery buck, and i think this one is bigger by about 1/2”. Love the cutters and mass on this one!

Old 10-23-2022, 06:55 PM

I am not a big game bird hunter. I buy a license to take the kids. 39 years old and never shot a partridge. First covey flies up and I take the first one I ever shot at!! Got thinking man these guys are easy. 9 shots later still only one bird haha. Didn’t pull a feather after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C669AEE1-ECFD-4998-AF30-32FCB2C94694.jpg (68.0 KB, 303 views)
Old 10-23-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Congrats DR!! Two fine animals!!

Can I ask what the draw time is for non trophy usually?

Just curious is all.

Thanks Hayseed, we actually had 2 trophy tags and 3 non trophy (dad, brother and me). The 2 trophy hunters, cousin and a buddy had never hunted antelope, so we helped them out and caught the first season of non trophy that was in the trophy season. I was low man on non trophy priority with a 12.. they only give out 10 tags for first season.

Also managed to get into some pheasants and sharpies in our downtime.. can’t beat that combo hunt

DR

Old 10-23-2022, 08:15 PM

Outstanding animals guys! Thanks for sharing!

DR

Old 10-23-2022, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up

My little Guy thought we won the lottery after we bagged a partridge this saturday near the end of a long walk in less than ideal condtions,aswell his 12 year old cousin got his first Antelope with
the partner licence from his dads AB draw tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221023-213233_Gallery.jpg (64.9 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221017-174427_Messages.jpg (48.7 KB, 463 views)
Old 10-24-2022, 09:44 AM

Congrats DR on the Antelope, a couple of friends got their Antelope last week as well! Also have a couple of friends who got their Sheep this year too. It’s been a good year so far.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:04 PM

Great pics boys and girls! And congrats on the Antelopes DR, was meaning to text ya to see how you guys made out. Good work! Hopefully I can add to this thread in a few weeks.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:06 PM

May as well add my wife’s antelope to this thread.

Not a monster but she was very happy and with her health issues a job well done. Tough day for her.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
My little Guy thought we won the lottery after we bagged a partridge this saturday near the end of a long walk in less than ideal condtions,aswell his 12 year old cousin got his first Antelope with
the partner licence from his dads AB draw tag.
The little fellers look real happy ! Good stuff +
Old 10-26-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
May as well add my wife’s antelope to this thread.

Not a monster but she was very happy and with her health issues a job well done. Tough day for her.
Congratulations! That's definitely a respectable antelope! Well done!
Old 10-26-2022, 04:19 PM

With the wait times to draw any antelope is an exciting antelope. Congratulations to your wife, she should be proud.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:33 PM

Hit a couple of firsts with my 4 year old son this year.
A double on a couple coyote pups opening morning of antelope season, then a nice speed goat the second morning into the season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote double.jpg (47.8 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg Antelope 1.jpg (50.3 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Antelope 2.jpg (50.9 KB, 330 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Hey fellow outdoorsmen,

I always appreciate Lefty’s harvest thread (definitely one of my favorites each year) and noticed we are getting some awesome non archery harvest coming through the site, so I better get a thread going.

Not everyone wants to start their own thread, so please post up a picture of your success (doesn’t just have to be antlered, any harvest is great!) from this season. Please keep the comments positive.

Good luck to all.

DR
Here's my biggest whitetail to date.
You could say I've been hunting this buck since last season. I got him on my trail cam in July of 2021. Last season I harvested one smaller but in the same area. This buck was about 150 yards from the 2021 trail cam location, just feeding in an opening that is hidden unless you hike up a nasty hill through blowdown, which is exactly how I got the jump on him. Judging by his teeth he's old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9638.jpg (116.0 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9648.jpg (120.2 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9650.jpg (116.8 KB, 403 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 10:50 PM

Outstanding Pekan, thanks for sharing!

DR

Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM

Default Elk Success

Well I got it done the other night. After bow season was looking promising and then after checking my cards see soooo many pictures of a pair of grizz and a black, then them clawing the hell out of my tree stand tree...I got the message they didnt want me around. So Sunday afternoon, just into rifle season, I went out to check my cameras to see if the bears were still around. I quaded in and grabbed the cards. The wind was subsiding so I parked the quad and walked to a good vantage point where the wind was to my favor, just to see what may come to the field to feed. First off, a whitetail doe. It saw me, but I ducked down and it came out of the bush to feed. It kept glancing to the trees, then more whitetail came out. Next thing there were 5. I was excited to stay and watch for the Alpha buck to come out. It started getting later and I basically got up to leave while there was still light. Then I saw to my left...ELK. I saw the lead was a bull. I sat up, leveled on a fence post and nailed it with my 7mm rem mag. Thwack. It stood like a drunken elk, on unsteady legs. I hit it again Thwack. No change. So again....it was talking slow steps to the fenceline/bush a meager 20 years away, where I did not have permission and it was thick as hell. Thwack, again. It went down. Yeah. I laid down...trying to calm my nerves, then grabbed my binos....he was up???? wth? I steadied again, thwack. He went down...right on the fence line. I left him and found the landowner, who was kind enough to load the beast in my truck. When I skinned him out, there was a softball size hole and a couple others just behind teh front leg. I truly hit him His lungs were mash, totally surprised that he still stood. anyhow, it was a night I wont forget as I only went out to check the cams but I did go out prepared for any surprises
Old 11-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Well I got it done the other night. After bow season was looking promising and then after checking my cards see soooo many pictures of a pair of grizz and a black, then them clawing the hell out of my tree stand tree...I got the message they didnt want me around. So Sunday afternoon, just into rifle season, I went out to check my cameras to see if the bears were still around. I quaded in and grabbed the cards. The wind was subsiding so I parked the quad and walked to a good vantage point where the wind was to my favor, just to see what may come to the field to feed. First off, a whitetail doe. It saw me, but I ducked down and it came out of the bush to feed. It kept glancing to the trees, then more whitetail came out. Next thing there were 5. I was excited to stay and watch for the Alpha buck to come out. It started getting later and I basically got up to leave while there was still light. Then I saw to my left...ELK. I saw the lead was a bull. I sat up, leveled on a fence post and nailed it with my 7mm rem mag. Thwack. It stood like a drunken elk, on unsteady legs. I hit it again Thwack. No change. So again....it was talking slow steps to the fenceline/bush a meager 20 years away, where I did not have permission and it was thick as hell. Thwack, again. It went down. Yeah. I laid down...trying to calm my nerves, then grabbed my binos....he was up???? wth? I steadied again, thwack. He went down...right on the fence line. I left him and found the landowner, who was kind enough to load the beast in my truck. When I skinned him out, there was a softball size hole and a couple others just behind teh front leg. I truly hit him His lungs were mash, totally surprised that he still stood. anyhow, it was a night I wont forget as I only went out to check the cams but I did go out prepared for any surprises
Interesting story to read.... Awesome Animal
Old 11-01-2022, 03:31 PM

Some great critters on this thread. I like the speed goats, so many. But the grouse too. Who doesn't love chasing grouse?

Keep em coming.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:27 PM

Great job all. Lots of fine memories created
Old 11-04-2022, 12:11 AM

Only birds so far. Hoping to add a deer to this thread

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2022, 10:19 AM

Folded my Antlered MD tag yesterday. This guy was hunkered down on the north side of a coulee hiding from the nasty blowing snow and wind. As I was setting up for 100 yard shot across the coulee into sideways wind, he made me and stood up to make his escape.

After travelling a couple hundred yards east down the coulee I was able to get his attention with an uncouthed "Hey!" stopping him in his tracks. He looked back towards me broadside at 350 yards. Due to poor distance estimation on my part, I dropped a 175gr berger out of my T3X ultralite .308 high into his back, dropping him on the spot.

Special thanks to my very patient wife who helped me drag this heavy boy across a frozen creek, through 2' of drifting snow up a coulee wall.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Folded my Antlered MD tag yesterday. This guy was hunkered down on the north side of a coulee hiding from the nasty blowing snow and wind. As I was setting up for 100 yard shot across the coulee into sideways wind, he made me and stood up to make his escape.

After travelling a couple hundred yards east down the coulee I was able to get his attention with an uncouthed "Hey!" stopping him in his tracks. He looked back towards me broadside at 350 yards. Due to poor distance estimation on my part, I dropped a 175gr berger out of my T3X ultralite .308 high into his back, dropping him on the spot.

Special thanks to my very patient wife who helped me drag this heavy boy across a frozen creek, through 2' of drifting snow up a coulee wall.

Nice buck amigo! Congrats
Old 11-11-2022, 05:18 PM

Meat tag filled.

Had my mulie doe draw this year at the cabin. Polluted with deer out the back 40.

We loaded up into the truck and drove a few miles down the ROW and spotted about 10 mulies feeding slowly and there was one super nice buck. 4x4, out past the ears and tall. Probably a 160-170” class deer. Hope he makes it through this year as I should be able to draw my buck tag next year.

Anyways, we got out of the truck and through the fence, and hiked around a hill using the topography to snake through and get closer before popping up and being about 350yds from them. My rangefinder couldn’t get a range facing into the sun with all the snow around, seemed like it was getting too much feedback or none at all. It worked later on, on a different group at 521yds facing away from the sun.

We popped up ~350yds from the herd and a few started to bounce away from us. 3 of them hung back with only one presenting a decent angle to shoot at. I got settled on my knees on my tripod and lined up on the deer that was slightly quartering to me.

I let the 7mm Rem Mag bark and the 120gr TTSX found its mark. The deer jumped up and kicked like a saddle bronc and took off running. Not more than 3 seconds later she died on the hoof and plowed into the snow sending a huge shower into the air.

We walked over and found the spot where she stood, and there was a good blood trail to follow all the way to her. She was a bit smaller than I expected, but none the less, will taste fantastic.

The blood at the spot she stood, it got better about 5ft away.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:21 PM

The kids filled some tags today.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:32 PM

My season

See pics below

Can't see the pics?

Yeah, that was my year.

Lol
Old 11-11-2022, 10:26 PM

Made some great memories this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221103-182619_Samsung Internet.jpg (50.4 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 20221111_162121.jpg (41.4 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 20221104_112712.jpg (52.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg 20221111_193552.jpg (40.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 10:28 PM

Good stuff, guys!

Where is that buck though, Pathfinder?