Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If you continue to hang onto this one narrative and ignore the world outside of that sphere… Notley walks into the job smiling.

So meme away but look back on the post down the road… hopefully you can smile and not grimace.
A conservative will never vote for nutjob
Old 11-06-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridger2010 View Post
She doing a great job of lighting the commies' hair on fire. Hopefully they leave and we infill with liberty minded people from other areas. Or they just leave. I'm good with that too.
But returning to the real world…

At least some can stand proud… supporting the opposition and watching a NDP spending balloon.

Answer these questions to yourself.

What issues matters most to most Albertan?

What has she done to fix any of that in a way that makes sense to people?

What issue has she flogged hardest since taking power and what percentage of voters care?

What percentage of voters care about other stuff?

Who is she wanting to be Premier to in this province?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-06-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
All you need is voters to distrust one more than another. Far right social conservatives or fiscal conservatives won’t vote NDP for any reason.

That still leaves a large number of small c conservatives… of whom some key issues can have them swing a protest vote in an instant.

If healthcare was perceived to be made worse by poorly planned UPC strategy… then people will switch. If coal mining was going to destroy foothill streams and rivers… then people will switch. If they focus on fringe issues and ignore mainstream issues like jobs… people will switch.

There is far more to leading a province then screaming about the past. Dealing with the present is what everyone cares about.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2022, 08:59 AM

All I am going to say to anyone considering voting the NDP I sure hope you think about all of the positive and negative issues that come with either party. I you are going to vote NDP because your angry about one issue only to be angry about multiple issues it’s not really a good alternative

Use brains not emotions when making important choices
Old 11-06-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
All you need is voters to distrust one more than another. Far right social conservatives or fiscal conservatives won’t vote NDP for any reason.

That still leaves a large number of small c conservatives… of whom some key issues can have them swing a protest vote in an instant.

If healthcare was perceived to be made worse by poorly planned UPC strategy… then people will switch. If coal mining was going to destroy foothill streams and rivers… then people will switch. If they focus on fringe issues and ignore mainstream issues like jobs… people will switch.

There is far more to leading a province then screaming about the past. Dealing with the present is what everyone cares about.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
She is on the right track. The only ones she is scaring are the left leaners.
A true conservative will never vote for nutjob.
Fiscal and social conservatives are now branded "far right activists", cancelled by the media and the gullible.

Someone who is elected and then does what they said they were going to do is somehow very threatening.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Good to hear kids on the mend.

Smith is on track to ruin the UPC’s chance at re-election.

Her wing nut suck up attitude is alienated people who don’t want crazy but rather steady, common sense, fiscally responsible governance.

She is living in the heads of vaccine paranoia whereas most people have that far in their rear view mirror.

She has said and done stupid things prior to election as premier and then continued her track record immediately after being elected.

She is threatening the integrity of healthcare with a perceived attitude of a nut job as opposed to a well thought out, data driven and care protected approach and fiscally prudent approach.

She doesn’t seem focused on what the majority care about but a fringe minority and is alienated UPC base.

Either she is nuts or her handlers are idiots or both. Regardless she needs to do a 180 and smarten up before the NDP are in power for another 4 years… make enough changes to entrain themselves in power and ride the wave of UPC distrust.

This isn’t rocket science but some just don’t get it or seem to care with willful blinders on to the reality we face.

Holding on to hurt feelings from two years ago and not moving on is the recipe for failure.

Just a thought.

PS. Healthcare is vitally important to many and even a die hard Conservative with punish the UPC if it looks like they are doing stupid things. Smith… get your head out of your butt and govern with common sense for gods sake. There are more people in this province than the hardcore anti vax community.

x2 Well said...I too can't believe how many times she has made stupid things...
Old 11-06-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
Fiscal and social conservatives are now branded "far right activists", cancelled by the media and the gullible.

Someone who is elected and then does what they said they were going to do is somehow very threatening.
She's a (not so) funny world nowadays. Not sure how to straighten it out. Well I kinda do.....and I know who would win
Old 11-06-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
All I am going to say to anyone considering voting the NDP I sure hope you think about all of the positive and negative issues that come with either party. I you are going to vote NDP because your angry about one issue only to be angry about multiple issues it’s not really a good alternative

Use brains not emotions when making important choices
People will weigh all the pros and cons. Unfortunately for some… what Smith may do in the future May count as an unacceptable risk to many. Hence she quickly needs to smarten up her rhetoric and focus on mainstream issues with common sense approach.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:

100 %...

And if you do then your not a Conservative...

No problem...

If you don't vote your nothing...
Old 11-06-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Says who? I have not seen that.

Smith has put her foot in her mouth as soon as taking office.

She just needs to smarten up and focus on key issues in a responsible way.

A fiscally responsible, well thought out plan is needed.

It also needs to be presented well to voters.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Says who? I have not seen that.

Smith has put her foot in her mouth as soon as taking office.

She just needs to smarten up and focus on key issues in a responsible way.

A fiscally responsible, well thought out plan is needed.

It also needs to be presented well to voters.
It's seems like you are campaining for the orange...any perks?
Old 11-06-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
She's a (not so) funny world nowadays. Not sure how to straighten it out. Well I kinda do.....and I know who would win
Ain't it the truth.
That said, I believe there is a resurgence of conservative thought. The left has shown itself to be so far "out there" that the silent majority is beginning in quiet ways to push back. It might take some time to turn the tide completely.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
People will weigh all the pros and cons. Unfortunately for some… what Smith may do in the future May count as an unacceptable risk to many. Hence she quickly needs to smarten up her rhetoric and focus on mainstream issues with common sense approach.
Not a big Smith fan but I see no advantage to my personal life voting the NDP

Honestly I have less faith in people taking they time to actually weigh out the pros and cons because honestly I see most voting based on emotion or party loyalty. Most don’t truly look at the platform
Old 11-06-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
100 %...

And if you do then your not a Conservative..

No problem...

If you don't vote your nothing...
If you are the UPC election strategist and you based you re-election on..

I hate Covid
I’m a social Conservative
I want to slash spending harshly

You ain’t getting elected.

The small C conservatives are a large number. They want limited spending, lower taxes. Healthcare protections, small government, if people aren’t hurting others then let them live their lives and butt out.

On the flip side…

Notley faces a similar dilemma.

Cater to the fringe that want all oil and gas shuttered. All vehicles removed from streets that aren’t EV. Hire twice as many doctors, nurses, teachers, garbage men etc. Ban people from parks. Triple the size of government. Mandatory masks outside the home. Free everything. 90% base taxes. Everyone gets paid a living wage regardless of effort in school or training or ability.

Fundamentally… where do you think a middle ground sits for the conservative movement so as to no alienate or repel a significant portion of the voting population?
Old 11-06-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Honestly I have less faith in people taking they time to actually weigh out the pros and cons because honestly I see most voting based on emotion or party loyalty. Most don’t truly look at the platform
I’m of the same opinion as you as far as the risk of voting NDP is far more damaging than the Smith problem.

However your second paragraph should give you cause for concern. Not everyone is you nor I.

Not everyone is a big C conservative.

The voters memories are short.

Many vote on what’s in it for them or what emotional issue has triggered them.

Healthcare is huge.

Jobs is huge.

Inflation is huge.

But…

Covid is not anymore.

Smith is flogging a dead horse and needs to move on and show… she is a competent and capable leader.

For the average voter… She ain’t doing that by any stretch of the imagination.

She has time to turn that around and fix perception. If she is smart she needs to start now.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Some people who love the single provider system don’t want to hear it but the solution but a likely solution is keeping our system as is and allowing private to exist and provide services to those who are willing or able to pay. My reasoning is no government in Canada of any political stripe has been able to fix our system as it is regardless of how much money they throw at it so my conclusion is the system is the issue. The other thing is whenever I’ve needed some sort of service that the system allows to exist privately (x-ray as an example) the 2 options I’ve seen are wait for the free government provided one and you’ll get one in 6-8 months or call the private service provider and get in within days. My wife fairly recently herniated a disc and those were her options, I’m glad I was able to afford the private option so she doesn’t need to take prescription painkillers for another 6 months while she waits for an x-ray. I’m not saying we need to go to an American system (because I don’t) but there are plenty of other countries that have systems that work fine with a hybrid system (see virtually all European countries and advanced Asian ones for examples)
We already have a system where you can get health care if you are able and willing to pay for it. Lots of people go to other countries for heart surgery, or Mexico for dental work as examples. I don't see anything good coming from a system where the poor stay in the system we have and the wealthy get the 5 star medical system.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
She is on the right track. The only ones she is scaring are the left leaners.
A true conservative will never vote for nutjob. If the ndp won the election, the left outnumbers the right in Alberta...and it's coming with the increasing population of calgary and edmonton. Numbers are growing daily of those who like to suck at the left teat
The ndp are pointing out healthcare and education because it’s the low hanging fruit
They don’t have any solution to fix the problem
Just throw more money at it and hope it goes away
If you give the current system more money
Virtually none of it will make it to the front lines
Management will give themselves more raises and bonuses
Hire more management positions

Our system is broken
It’s not that we are not spending enough on healthcare
But that the way it is delivered is extreme inefficient
Old 11-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your hypothetical voters will always vote NDP then because the communists can promise the most theft disguised as "social programs".
Old 11-06-2022, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
I’m of the same opinion as you as far as the risk of voting NDP is far more damaging than the Smith problem.

However your second paragraph should give you cause for concern. Not everyone is you nor I.

Not everyone is a big C conservative.

The voters memories are short.

Many vote on what’s in it for them or what emotional issue has triggered them.

Healthcare is huge.

Jobs is huge.

Inflation is huge.

But…

Covid is not anymore.

Smith is flogging a dead horse and needs to move on and show… she is a competent and capable leader.

For the average voter… She ain’t doing that by any stretch of the imagination.

She has time to turn that around and fix perception. If she is smart she needs to start now.
The Covid overreaction was just a symptom of a messed up system and smart people recognize that.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
The ndp are pointing out healthcare and education because it’s the low hanging fruit
They don’t have any solution to fix the problem
Just throw more money at it and hope it goes away
If you give the current system more money
Virtually none of it will make it to the front lines
Management will give themselves more raises and bonuses
Hire more management positions

Our system is broken
It’s not that we are not spending enough on healthcare
But that the way it is delivered is extreme inefficient
Agree. The System never worked. It is an immoral system..
Old 11-06-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, more and more people will vote for anyone that promises handouts, with no thought whatsoever, where the money will come from. They don't care who has to pay for it, even if it is there own children and grandchildren. Sadly, that is the direction that society is heading, and I think that it will be too late, when enough people realize this, to stop it.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
If you are the UPC election strategist and you based you re-election on..

I hate Covid
I’m a social Conservative
I want to slash spending harshly

You ain’t getting elected.

The small C conservatives are a large number. They want limited spending, lower taxes. Healthcare protections, small government, if people aren’t hurting others then let them live their lives and butt out.

On the flip side…

Notley faces a similar dilemma.

Cater to the fringe that want all oil and gas shuttered. All vehicles removed from streets that aren’t EV. Hire twice as many doctors, nurses, teachers, garbage men etc. Ban people from parks. Triple the size of government. Mandatory masks outside the home. Free everything. 90% base taxes. Everyone gets paid a living wage regardless of effort in school or training or ability.

Fundamentally… where do you think a middle ground sits for the conservative movement so as to no alienate or repel a significant portion of the voting population?

I believe a lot of people are just mad at the world.

I believe a lot of people just put words into DS mouth.

I think you listed the small c values quite accurately and that is what the majority of Albertan's are all about.

I also believe that DS, if given a chance will follow these same value's you listed.

I also believe an intelligent thoughtful opposition is important.

But a minority of the left is immature condescending and that will be their downfall.

I just feel plain sorry for them since it does not help out Albertan's one bit.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It's seems like you are campaining for the orange...any perks?
You seem oblivious to what’s been posted.

Following any political leader blindly is a fools game regardless of political leanings. But some seem to boldly follow and ignore any problems.

I’ve pointed out problems that conservatives need to address and quickly or else.

For the record. I have always said I’m a strong C fiscal conservative.

I don’t have blinders on and can freely comment on what I see as currently fatal flaws in the chance of a future UPC win.

Someone like you… trying a passive insult by suggesting I’m NDP… is no different than others with their heads in the sand.

Refusing to see the broader picture and continuing to dwell on vaccines which is behind us, given so many more important problems out there is a failed strategy right out the chute.

We need to move on. Stop stupid infighting. Shore up a common sense plan for the future and explain it to Albertans. Transparent leadership is key.

Some of the comments here… hyper focused on one topic WILL mean the UPC lose.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Agree, an overwhelming amount of people pick the party or person they want to vote for with as much thought as they pick their favorite team. They are Flames or Oilers fans, Roughrider or Elks fans, Right or Left fans, always were, always will be, doesn't matter how bad or good they are.

I have to hold my nose when I think of Smith or Notley, they both stink. Both parties govern by ideology. They don't adapt to current situations with lucid thought but rather by mostly knee jerk spiteful reaction, throwing blame on each other with no solutions. One says black the other says white ignoring everything in between. No good comes from a polarized system of gov't.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
I believe a lot of people are just mad at the world.

I believe a lot of people just put words into DS mouth.

I think you listed the small c values quite accurately and that is what the majority of Albertan's are all about.

I also believe that DS, if given a chance will follow these same value's you listed.

I also believe an intelligent thoughtful opposition is important.

But a minority of the left is immature condescending and that will be their downfall.

I just feel plain sorry for them since it does not help out Albertan's one bit.
For the most part I agree. However I’ve followed Smith’s career over time. Went to speeches when she was wild rose.

I never got the sense she was all that bright. Notley IS far smarter and it shows to the average person.

In a perfect world I wish Notley was conservative.

There is lots of entitlement feelings on both sides.

A mature leader that can lead and keep stupid at bay would be a dream.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
You seem oblivious to what’s been posted.

Following any political leader blindly is a fools game regardless of political leanings. But some seem to boldly follow and ignore any problems.

I’ve pointed out problems that conservatives need to address and quickly or else.

For the record. I have always said I’m a strong C fiscal conservative.

I don’t have blinders on and can freely comment on what I see as currently fatal flaws in the chance of a future UPC win.

Someone like you… trying a passive insult by suggesting I’m NDP… is no different than others with their heads in the sand.

Refusing to see the broader picture and continuing to dwell on vaccines which is behind us, given so many more important problems out there is a failed strategy right out the chute.

We need to move on. Stop stupid infighting. Shore up a common sense plan for the future and explain it to Albertans. Transparent leadership is key.

Some of the comments here… hyper focused on one topic WILL mean the UPC lose.

A fiscal conservative believes it is OK to steal money from citizens just as much as socialists do
Old 11-06-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Not yet elected

We still have a gun ban and royal gestapo overloads

What has she done that she promised??

Wildrosie chicken ****. Doesn’t have the balls to stand up to the feds and supreme court. Pick on nurses instead to satisfy the butthurt antivaccers. Great plan
Old 11-06-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridger2010 View Post
A fiscal conservative believes it is OK to steal money from citizens just as much as socialists do
Says who lol

Define fiscal conservative for me please.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Says who lol

Define fiscal conservative for me please.
Fiscal conservatives advocate tax cuts, reduced government spending, free markets, deregulation, privatization, free trade, and minimal government debt. Fiscal conservatism follows the same philosophical outlook of classical liberalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal...l%20liberalism.

Nowhere does it say that a fiscal conservative is in favour of abolishing taxes (aka theft from citizens).