Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2022, 02:54 PM

Default Shopping for a new range finder

Hi all,
As the title says, looking for your input.
Less than $500 budget. Really like to have an illuminated display and the ability to consistently range from 5 - 750 yards.

Reason I am upgrading is I'm tired of not being able to read the display of my current unit in low light. I will sometimes approach a new location before legal light and range potential shooting lanes.

What do you like?

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2022, 02:57 PM

Short story... Leica... end of story

you can pick up a very good used leica for that price.

Rangefinders manufactures will tell you the max range, what they dont tell you is that is a highly reflective object they use. Leica has proven time after time that they under estimate their range. I have an older 1000 R, and it ranges over 1000 constantly, also battery life is amazing.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:05 PM

I know some one who owns a pair of Geovid3400.coms. They are very good, a little out of your price range though.
I barrowed them a couple weeks ago and got the range on a deer at 1500
Old 11-07-2022, 03:56 PM

I was shopping recently as well.

I really like the Leupold RX-1400i, especially the display.

I ended up getting a Nikon Laser 30 (I know, I know... I am still mad at them for abandoning the hunting fraternity) but the price and feature set were right (good sale on at that time). Only gripe about the Nikon is how fat it is.

Honorable mention to the Vortex Diamondback HD2000, but again, not a slim one either.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:18 PM

Leupold they seem to offer the best all around… BUT their warranty sucks.

Vortex, if your shoot 3D archery have issues on black targets.

Nikon were awesome… but I don’t thing they make them anymore.

Bushnell feel really cheap and I don’t like the display.

Get one with a red backlight, black vanishes in low light.

My 2 cents.

LC
Old 11-07-2022, 04:23 PM

Look for a used Leica. I've been using Geovid binos for many years, and they work in rain, snow, fog, low light, better then anything else I've seen.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2022, 04:40 PM

Be acquainted with the Leica rep and buy his samples. Very happy with the new CRF 2400 I grabbed off him for $425 earlier this year.

Being serious...there's Leica and then theres all the rest. No cluttered viewfinder. No ballistics BS. No muss. No fuss. Just 7x glass, nice bright red reticle and yardage readout easily read in bright sun conditions that's ridiculously accurate in an easy to hold compact unit. Buy once. Cry once. Its always worth it. The Camera Store in Cgy has the best pricing in Canada on this unit.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:45 PM

Default leica

used leica or brand new,hands down
Old 11-09-2022, 08:27 AM

Lecia. I had a 1600 that was about 12 years old and was starting to act up. Sent it in and within 6 weeks sent me a new one at no charge. Can’t beat that. New one is great goes out lot further than 1600. Be careful buying some say their yardage is based on reflective surface. Never seen a reflective elk yet 😂
Old 11-09-2022, 09:58 AM

Default Vortex Razor

I have had Leica, Leuoplod and a couple others over the past. I recently bought a pair of Vortex razor 4000 and will say for the price I am impressed. Out of Jimbows in Calgary I ranged a house at 2300yrds. I have ranged deer out to 1400yrds and larger objects to 3600yrds (big rock face). I know I will not need those ranges but to be able to acquire them says something. I have put them against my Leica 1600 and prefer the Razor by far. Black targets get a range as for others have had to struggle even if I could get one. For what its worth check them out, a touch over your price range but not by much. Good luck with your choice and enjoy.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:37 PM

Took some time to handle a few models this week. Leica won me over.
The ergos, fit and finish, and optics were head and shoulders better than the rest. Made it an easy decision to stretch the budget.

On another note I fondled some Leica RF Binos. Very nice peice of kit. If the price tag isnt enough to scare you, the weight might. Heavy suckers!
I'm certain Leopold BX5 + the Leica RF is way lighter...and almost half the price.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
I have had Leica, Leuoplod and a couple others over the past. I recently bought a pair of Vortex razor 4000 and will say for the price I am impressed. Out of Jimbows in Calgary I ranged a house at 2300yrds. I have ranged deer out to 1400yrds and larger objects to 3600yrds (big rock face). I know I will not need those ranges but to be able to acquire them says something. I have put them against my Leica 1600 and prefer the Razor by far. Black targets get a range as for others have had to struggle even if I could get one. For what its worth check them out, a touch over your price range but not by much. Good luck with your choice and enjoy.
Shoot, never did try that model. Will run the Leica for a while and see how it performs.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Took some time to handle a few models this week. Leica won me over.
The ergos, fit and finish, and optics were head and shoulders better than the rest. Made it an easy decision to stretch the budget.

On another note I fondled some Leica RF Binos. Very nice peice of kit. If the price tag isnt enough to scare you, the weight might. Heavy suckers!
I'm certain Leopold BX5 + the Leica RF is way lighter...and almost half the price.
Great choice, you will not be disappointed in the field with them. They have been my go to for both archery and rifle hunting for years.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:57 PM

I’m on my 3rd leupold, I’d avoid them unless you like replacing them on their warranty “deal” every couple of years.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m on my 3rd leupold, I’d avoid them unless you like replacing them on their warranty “deal” every couple of years.
What models have you had out of curiosity?
Old 11-11-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m in the same boat. I’ve had an Rx4 replaced on warranty with an rx1000. Now the rx1000 needs to go in. Both were really good for a couple of years and then only range at 200 meters or less typically. They are good for bow hunting and not much else.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
I’m in the same boat. I’ve had an Rx4 replaced on warranty with an rx1000. Now the rx1000 needs to go in. Both were really good for a couple of years and then only range at 200 meters or less typically. They are good for bow hunting and not much else.
Ha. I bought a cheap Leupold (don’t remember the model, but bought in the States on clearance for less than 200 USD, I believe) about three years ago. The first year, it was ranging fair size objects at well over 1,000 yards. This year, I noticed I was having hard times getting the distance to objects over 600 yards away and sometimes less (definitely no way it would range a deer at that distance). I guess I now know where it is going and what to expect, lol.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Ha. I bought a cheap Leupold (don’t remember the model, but bought in the States on clearance for less than 200 USD, I believe) about three years ago. The first year, it was ranging fair size objects at well over 1,000 yards. This year, I noticed I was having hard times getting the distance to objects over 600 yards away and sometimes less (definitely no way it would range a deer at that distance). I guess I now know where it is going and what to expect, lol.
I’m as loyal to the brand as it gets- particularly the rifle scopes, but would not recommend the rangefinders.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:28 PM

I have a Zeiss Victory it's been great for many years. Never an issue. I test on a couple known yardages a couple times every year.

A buddies son bought a Nikon bino, ranger combo from Visions. A $few hundred less then anywhere else. He likes it. He looked at vortex too.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:44 AM

I have the Leica 900 model. Not sure how long I've had them. I have no memory as to what they cost me back when(?).
Only knock is the CR2 battery they use which costs like $29 or something.

Mind you I am only on the second battery.

In 2010 I was on a really long cutline and I could range 900 yds one way and 890 yards the other way, which really doesn't matter other than I had a large black bear come out at a distance beyond the limit of the Leica.

But the bear obliged me and walked up to 28 paces, which took some time.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-19-2022, 06:20 AM

I just picked up the Sig Sauer kilo 1000 the other day and love it so far. 250-300$ depending where you buy it and I ranged a building at 1276 yards,deer at 800+. Nice clear readout

Folding A Tag Isnt The Only Reason To Hunt
Old 11-21-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoOkIe86 View Post
I just picked up the Sig Sauer kilo 1000 the other day and love it so far. 250-300$ depending where you buy it and I ranged a building at 1276 yards,deer at 800+. Nice clear readout
It's good to verify accuracy with any brand.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
I’m as loyal to the brand as it gets- particularly the rifle scopes, but would not recommend the rangefinders.
X2
Old 11-21-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I have a Leupold RX-1000/TBR DNA. Had it for about 10 years. The past few years...it is going downhill also. Also, the top half of the numbers are gone (ie.I only see the bottom- so a 7 can be a 1, an 8 can be a 6). Not sure if I am explaining this correctly. Must be the meds...

Tried new batteries, same issue. Will invest in a new one next year, and it will not be a Leupold.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:08 PM

A critical maintenance piece with the Leopold is to remove the battery when not using them for extended periods otherwise the illuminated display fails after a couple of years
Old 11-24-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
A critical maintenance piece with the Leopold is to remove the battery when not using them for extended periods otherwise the illuminated display fails after a couple of years
Where were you about 8 years ago!...

I guess lesson learnt...
Old 11-24-2022, 06:49 AM

That explains what just happened to my leopold range finder...crap
Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM

https://northprosports.com/index.php...oduct_id=17620

This one's in the sponsors forum....