Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Anyone have experience with sorel pac boots

As the title says, anyone have experience with them for hunting?

Looking at the sorel caribou, tried them on and they felt pretty good.

Type of hunting I do is still hunting, walk a bit and stop a bit. But dont mind to put on some km.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:45 PM

Great option if you're walking on and off.

I have the Sorel Glaciers from about year 2000. They have been updated a few times since by Sorel, each time dropping in quality.
I wear mine solely in November when sitting in a tree from dark to dark. Never had cold feet.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:31 PM

Default I have em

Don't plan to Wark far. Clunky and the felt packs down once it's wet. Good wool socks or even a set of bamas inside and they are great on cold days. Use em for ice fishing and stand/blind hunts.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:35 PM

I have these same made in china Sorel pac boots you are talking about and I love them for the kind of hunting you describe. As others mentioned they don't have much support for longer hikes or bearing a lot of weight, but they have great warmth, comfort, and durability for their price. I was suspicious of a formerly Canadian brand that brags "designed in Oregon, made in China" but my pair is going strong at five years old and well worth the sale price I paid.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:24 AM

Reading online I see a lot of complaints with the sorels quality, also too you'll hear more bad bad reviews than good. I know I don't really bother leaving reviews if the product is good.
Has anyone experienced rapid wear and cracks with the new sorels?
Also I see Baffin had a similar boot called CANADA, they are cheaper by a bit, wonder if it's any better?
Old 11-09-2022, 01:07 AM

This may sound weird, but…

I have had these exact boots for about a decade. Last time I wore them was… Today, lol. I then remembered why I never wear them. My feet (toes) get more cold wearing these than my not insulated Zamberlan. Today in the evening, I went to help a buddy to get an elk he shot out of the field. My toes were freezing by the time we were done with it. I don’t know what it is about these shoes or if it is just my pair, but I remember my feet going cold still hunting with them and even actively hiking in the cold. In the morning, I was out for over three hours with the other shoes, same temperature, +/- a couple degrees, and my feet were completely fine. With these, my toes can feel it fairly quickly.

I should also mention, if you are hunting hilly areas with a bit of climbing up or down, good luck. These have zero grip and you will have very difficult times climbing any steep hill and you will need to hold on to something going down.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy these. Like I said, I had these for about a decade and I wore them a dozen, maybe two dozens of times. It’s funny I decided to put them on today. And yep, cold toes.

Edit: Just to make sure, it is these you are talking about, right?

Last edited by fishnguy; 11-09-2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:21 PM

I’m also looking for a new pair of winter hunting boots and have heard about the Sorels not being the quality they once were. Anyone have suggestion on a different brand of pac boot? Like the original post, I do a mix of walking, still hunting, up/down hills.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry21 View Post
I’m also looking for a new pair of winter hunting boots and have heard about the Sorels not being the quality they once were. Anyone have suggestion on a different brand of pac boot? Like the original post, I do a mix of walking, still hunting, up/down hills.
Try a pair of Velenki felt boots. Combined with a pair of Moccasin rubbers they are pretty hard to beat as a cold weather hunting boot. Lightweight, comfortable, very warn and durabile.
I've had mine for about 10 years and they are still like new. Google .
Old 11-09-2022, 02:02 PM

Nice! I wasn’t aware of those! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyRendy View Post
As the title says, anyone have experience with them for hunting?

Looking at the Sorel Caribou, tried them on and they felt pretty good.

Type of hunting I do is still hunting, walk a bit and stop a bit. But I don't mind to put on some km.
That is pretty much the way I hunt. I have room for a heavy wool sock, the boot provides decent support and the sole has good traction. I have been using this boot for years.

Don't forget to pull the liners at night to dry out. Or even carry an extra set to switch out during the day.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:09 PM

^ Interesting that your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine, lol. One thing is they never got wet inside when I was out wearing them, lol. Like I said, opposite from mine. And I usually wear two pairs of wool socks and yes, it isn’t too tight. I do the same in my other shoes that aren’t insulated and my toes are fine, while in these Sorrel they get quite cold. I hunt a lot of valleys, so traction is crucial. These shoes are lacking significantly in that environment.

Milage may vary, as they say, haha. How old are yours, graybeard? Mine are about 10 years old.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Interesting that your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine, lol. One thing is they never got wet inside when I was out wearing them, lol. Like I said, opposite from mine. And I usually wear two pairs of wool socks and yes, it isn’t too tight. I do the same in my other shoes that aren’t insulated and my toes are fine, while in these Sorrel they get quite cold. I hunt a lot of valleys, so traction is crucial. These shoes are lacking significantly in that environment.

Milage may vary, as they say, haha. How old are yours, graybeard? Mine are about 10 years old.
I actually have two pairs.
One pair, my oldest, has a vibram sole. Leather uppers and are all of ten plus years old.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1253...d%3A1253667070

My second pair have a SOREL aero-trac non-loading out-sole, leather uppers. They are about 5 years old.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sorel-Caribou-...61158666&psc=1

My feet sweat so I have to be mindful of that short coming in cold weather when hiking around or any other outdoor activity.

I only wear these boots in the snow. I do not use them when I am hiking in early season on rocks or other sharp edged surfaces.

The soles look great and no rips or tears on the soles.
The only thing that ever tore off was one of the shoelace eye rings. I had it re attached at my local shoe repair shop.

They have served me well hiking in and out of the winter Drumheller coulees.

I hope this helps...

GB

Last edited by graybeard; 11-09-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:30 PM

Well… I would suggest the OP disregards my post with my apologies then. Mine look, I would say, completely different and definitely have different soles.

Glad I asked and thanks for the clarification, graybeard.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Well… I would suggest the OP disregards my post with my apologies then. Mine look, I would say, completely different and definitely have different soles.

Glad I asked and thanks for the clarification, graybeard.
Anytime...

Old 11-10-2022, 06:08 AM

I have a similar boot made by Baffin They are all black including the leather.
They are about 8 years old.
The first thing I found out was that they did not have the eyelets for the laces but just hooks.
the laces always fell off the hooks and I was always doing them up
So, I took out the top hooks and installed eyelets which helped
Last year the back of one of the rubber parts of the boot went rotten and had about a 3-inch tear. I have smeared both the inside and outside of the rubber with shoe-go which has held so far.
But am also interested in getting a similar boot but one that is better for my purposes
Old 11-10-2022, 06:52 AM

I have a pair of army boots, and 2 pairs of insoles wool insoles, that what i use when it gets real cold, like now or -30
Old 11-10-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry21 View Post
If you're looking for quality...

https://schnees.com/schnees-boots/schnees-pac-boots/
Old 11-10-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Try a pair of Velenki felt boots. Combined with a pair of Moccasin rubbers they are pretty hard to beat as a cold weather hunting boot. Lightweight, comfortable, very warn and durabile.
I've had mine for about 10 years and they are still like new. Google .
I have never seen anything like this... I am intrigued!

They must be more durable than they look, from the picture I imagine I would tear those apart in one outing in the bush. Or they would freeze solid if they get any moisture... But if they don't, and last a while, I may need to get a set of these!

Will check into these further - my feet always get cold and my pac boots are so clunky if I have any distance to walk.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
these, hands down......the only footwear i've had that was warmer was when we lived in the arctic and used those armed forces type moon boots, but they were hell to walk in. i've had my schnees for 20 years and wouldn't be without them. the bottoms started to weather check, so i just sent them back and for 100 bucks (i think it was), they put a new set of bottoms on them. they came back looking like new.

when the cold weather comes, this is my everyday go to footwear. they have good traction, are next to bullet proof, and after all these years, still have the original liner (i look at them every year and cannot believe they haven't worn out. must have a million miles on 'em)

kenetrek make makes a real good boot too.

it's the same with all things and as the saying goes........'pay once, cry once'....or something like that! sorel and baffin are garbage.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:03 PM

I’ve looked at the schnees online and have to agree they look like a great boot. I’d prefer to try on before dropping that kind of money on a pair of boots but from what I can tell, there isn’t anywhere around here that carries them. Someone else mentioned Kenetreks. Anyone have experience with their pac boots? Looks like they do have a Canadian site.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:27 PM

I am a big fan of Kennetrek Pac boots once the Temps really drop!
I can walk in them for hours wearing a day pack with no issues , and they are warm if I decide to stop for a bit and watch acpartulicular meadow or trail
Cat
Old 11-10-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
They must be more durable than they look, from the picture I imagine I would tear those apart in one outing in the bush. Or they would freeze solid if they get any moisture... But if they don't, and last a while, I may need to get a set of these!
The valenki shown are meant to be worn with an outer set of galoshes and are very similar to the liner used in Sorel and other pac boots (although some brands use shearling or synthetic). They are made of wool felt and share wool's ability to retain heat and insulate even when wet. Felt is also known for its durability compared to many textiles, although it doesn't compare to leather or rubber and is mostly suitable as the insulating layer.

Those Schnee's look very nice. I would also like to be able to give them an in-person inspection. Their price is good considering they are handcrafted in Bozeman.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’ve owned the Schee’s pac boots and the Kennetrek. Both were great boots.

I currently have a pair of Hoffman’swhich are great boots as well. I have theOutback’s. Might like these the most so far…

https://www.hoffmanboots.com/hoffman...r-hunting-pacs
Old 11-10-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I have never seen anything like this... I am intrigued!

Will check into these further - my feet always get cold and my pac boots are so clunky if I have any distance to walk.
“Felt boots” with toe rubbers used to be a thing in the 80’s. I didn’t have them but the kids that did swore they were warm, and I’m sure they are.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
these, hands down......the only footwear i've had that was warmer was when we lived in the arctic and used those armed forces type moon boots, but they were hell to walk in. .
Bunny boots are super warm for sure but not much of a hiking boot like you say. Too bad so hard to find nowadays
Old 11-10-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bunny boots are super warm for sure but not much of a hiking boot like you say. Too bad so hard to find nowadays
yup.....absolutely the warmest winter boot i've ever worn. the ultimate for ice fishing or sitting on a stand.

shoot me a pm if you're interested in a brand new pair.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:22 PM

I have a pair of Cabela’s trans Alaska pac boots that are warm and comfortable but not sure I’d want to walk all day in them. I like the Cabela’s much better than the Sorel’s and Baffin boots I had before them.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-18-2022, 10:33 AM

I ended up purchasing the Baffin Yukon boots.

The sorels looked good but hearing how quality went right down when it was bought out and being made in China instead of Canada turned me off. Watched a video of buddy cutting the new ones in half and crazy to see how thin of a layer it is between your foot and the ground. I know the older canadian made ones were the best but I can't justify myself buying a well used boot at a premium price.
But back to the Baffins, they go for the same price as what the new sorels go for plus made in Canada. The fit and finish is great, the leather is good quality and thick, same with the removable liner. It's "Arctic" rated and when I emailed Baffin they told me it's good to -100C, so probably realistically -40C I would say but overall good quality made boot. I'll have to give it a test when I go out
Old 11-19-2022, 05:31 PM

After years and years of working outside with steel toes being mandatory. I and work mates have tried every kind of boot and add on like mesh insoles and quilted booties on the market.

As long as a guy is moving Insulated leather Dakota work boots were fine as long as you stayed mobile, at least for myself.

Different story when a guy needed to stand in one spot on cold concrete or Ballast rock for hours welding working in place. The Baffin -60 felt pack Moon boots were great though highly susceptible to Cutting torch use.

Nowadays Hunting I just wear my 400 gram Irish Setterrs. I just carry a pair of ThermaCell heated insoles and slip them in my boots once I get to my stand. For Ice fishing I wear the rubber boots with felt liners being as the foot bed felts mash flat The ThermaCell's fit right in the boot with the felt liner.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:56 PM

I have Sorel Snowbears, which are so old it says 'Made In Canada' on them. Size 14.
A huge problem for me is I take a size 12-13 boot to start with, so finding some big enough is really a problem!

The Snowbears aren't great for walking, but they are the only boots I've found that keep my feet warm in -25C weather.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker