Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I have no issue with people who worked hard/took risks/made sacrifices/etc. and have done well for themselves getting some of their own money back from the government.
Unless it’s the libs or the dippers who are giving it away
Old 11-24-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Unless it’s the libs or the dippers who are giving it away
I'd prefer no money being given away, regardless of who's doing it, to be clear, lower taxes instead. If however, that's the route they choose, I'd rather it be given to all tax paying residents vs their selected group.

Last edited by Trochu; 11-24-2022 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Ugh, spelling.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'd prefer no money being given away, regardless of who's doing it to be clear, lower taxes instead. If however, that's the route they choose, I'd rather it be given to all tax paying residence vs their selected group.
Exactly my feelings, cut the handouts, but if someone must get them, at least give the money to all people that paid into the system. People should not be discriminated against because they chose to make the effort to earn more.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:51 AM

So those that meet the criteria for the 100 per month.How will they receive it ..Canada post ?? I sure won't mind if it was a direct deposit to my bank..Anything to cut down on administering these rebates .Is a good thing
Old 11-24-2022, 10:56 AM
Banned

The problem for any Government that offers rebates or incentive plans is the same regardless of the governing party. The opposition's job is to crap on their plan regardless how good it is thought out. And there will be a large percentage of the population that will get none to minimal benefit at all from it. Add into the mix how many new Canadians are getting benefits that haven't contributed to the prosperity of our province. There are people who just take and don't contribute a dime in taxes or job creation. The only fair means to distribute the wealth is either cut personal income tax across the board or pay down accumulated debt. I would rather see the debt paid down. This benefits all Albertans, present and future.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, Notley will attack industry, increase taxes, spend even more , and of course increase our debt while doing it. That is what the NDP does.
What kind of debt is good debt. When Klein took over the province was in debt, he made it his priority to clear that debt and I believe even had a law in place that forbid the government from running a deficit. Once he was ousted that law seems to have gone away and from 2005 to 2015 the conservatives had the province in debt. In 2015 the NDP didn't help that situation and since 2019 the debt has grown under the conservatives.

Are you saying UCP debt is good, NDP debt is bad??

How is the announcement of 2.4 billion dollars in additional spending good debt?

Allowing government to run deficits is ridiculous. What's more ridiculous than running the deficit is taking on more debt to give away to countries who contribute nothing to Canada.

BW
Old 11-24-2022, 11:16 AM
Gone Hunting

The handout might make some sense if they go to those who really need them.

But I don't know how one could determine who that would be.

Seniors with no income other then their pensions are an easy choice.
The disabled and handicapped are an easy choice too.
Beyond that I wouldn't want to have to choose.

It's the same problem faced by the welfare program.

Poverty can be self induced or even deliberate.

How do you determine what was bad luck or lack of opportunity and what was a willing and informed choice.

What do you do about drug users? Most I think got into drugs before they understood the consequences.
Once hooked no amount of money will help them, they'll just use it to buy more drugs.

Then there is fairness.
Why should only the low income folk get handouts when it is the hard workers who made it possible in the first place.

It seems to me that the only solution is the only option that will never be considered.

That is responsible government spending.
Stop wasting our money so taxes can be reduced and everyone gains.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-24-2022, 11:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson xxxx View Post
The problem for any Government that offers rebates or incentive plans is the same regardless of the governing party. The opposition's job is to crap on their plan regardless how good it is thought out. And there will be a large percentage of the population that will get none to minimal benefit at all from it. Add into the mix how many new Canadians are getting benefits that haven't contributed to the prosperity of our province. There are people who just take and don't contribute a dime in taxes or job creation. The only fair means to distribute the wealth is either cut personal income tax across the board or pay down accumulated debt. I would rather see the debt paid down. This benefits all Albertans, present and future.
Agreed.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-24-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
What kind of debt is good debt. When Klein took over the province was in debt, he made it his priority to clear that debt and I believe even had a law in place that forbid the government from running a deficit. Once he was ousted that law seems to have gone away and from 2005 to 2015 the conservatives had the province in debt. In 2015 the NDP didn't help that situation and since 2019 the debt has grown under the conservatives.

Are you saying UCP debt is good, NDP debt is bad??

How is the announcement of 2.4 billion dollars in additional spending good debt?

Allowing government to run deficits is ridiculous. What's more ridiculous than running the deficit is taking on more debt to give away to countries who contribute nothing to Canada.

BW
I am not in favor of this bill at all, but if it is to happen, don't discriminate against the people that make more, and paid more into the system.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not in favor of this bill at all, but if it is to happen, don't discriminate against the people that make more, and paid more into the system.
We can agree on that!

BW
Old 11-24-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
I’ve seen more BC, Ont, & Que, plates this year than ever before. No doubt some could be displaced residents looking for that affordable home they got priced out of thanks to the lieberals. Not a bad thing, welcome to Alberta! Just remember to leave the woke chit in the province you came from and we’ll get along just fine.
SORRY. I have to stop you right there.

The vehicles with B.C., Ontario, and Quebec plates are not here on vacation.

Their drivers are here WORKING.

Well you say, what's wrong with that???

Well I say, the Provincial Income Tax for the B.C., Ontario, and Quebec worker is paid to B.C., Ontario, and Quebec.

Let's not be too stupid about things, OK? The jobs are from our finite natural resources. The taxes are from our finite natural resources. The benefits, both Taxation and Spending, go back to B.C., Ontario, and Quebec from the wages earned in Alberta.

I have actually written to each MLA in the Government on this issue. There should be an Alberta Income Tax on non residents working in Alberta. Silence was the response.

If you work in the NWT, you pay as you are out of "Province". Why not have all the out of province workers who are sharing in our wealth move to Alberta, and further boost the Alberta Economy by keeping the spending in Alberta?

But if you want to take your money back to say, Glovertown, Newfoundland, then some of it should stay in Alberta as Income Tax.

With this out of province tax money from the out of province workers, Alberta could afford to help its Citizens out, when the rest of Canada is so much against us.

Or, the workers facing this extra tax could do the one thing that would benefit all of Alberta, and move here.

Drewski
Old 11-24-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Well I say, the Provincial Income Tax for the B.C., Ontario, and Quebec worker is paid to B.C., Ontario, and Quebec.

Let's not be too stupid about things, OK? The jobs are from our finite natural resources. The taxes are from our finite natural resources. The benefits, both Taxation and Spending, go back to B.C., Ontario, and Quebec from the wages earned in Alberta.

I have actually written to each MLA in the Government on this issue. There should be an Alberta Income Tax on non residents working in Alberta. Silence was the response.

If you work in the NWT, you pay as you are out of "Province". Why not have all the out of province workers who are sharing in our wealth move to Alberta, and further boost the Alberta Economy by keeping the spending in Alberta?

But if you want to take your money back to say, Glovertown, Newfoundland, then some of it should stay in Alberta as Income Tax.

With this out of province tax money from the out of province workers, Alberta could afford to help its Citizens out, when the rest of Canada is so much against us.

Or, the workers facing this extra tax could do the one thing that would benefit all of Alberta, and move here.

Drewski
I agree 100% with. You make money .Pay your share of taxes,that Albertans have to pay..My mla said to me on this topic.That taxing these out of prov. workers.Would result in less qualified workers..
Old 11-24-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I agree 100% with. You make money .Pay your share of taxes,that Albertans have to pay..My mla said to me on this topic.That taxing these out of prov. workers.Would result in less qualified workers..
I wonder what the unskilled labour would be like if the Alberta didn't have a payroll tax. I bet most of these out of province workers would want to be living here.

Or a payroll tax significantly lower than the rest of the provinces.

BW
Old 11-24-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Where is this and what is the job? Interested in looking it up and shipping a kid out. Not even joking, if this is the case he can exceed his parents combined income, please tell us more.
Worked for West Fraser most of our entry level young guys made that, started at 125k plus bonuses and OT 150k to 160k was normal for the guys who liked the overtime.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 11-24-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:43 PM

Why is it so hard to ask for extra money to pay down debt and fix healthcare?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-24-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why is it so hard to ask for extra money to pay down debt and fix healthcare?
I for one don't believe extra money will fix health care. I feel they could double the budget and in six months, I could walk into my local hospital emergency and be waiting the exact amount of time.

There are lots of government "problems" that money seems unable to "fix".
Old 11-24-2022, 03:11 PM

Taxes should be held to 25% for everyone, business, personal etc.
The government should get that 25% and live within that frame work. Period.
If you spend it all this year good for you, if you don't good for you, unlike the stupid policy that we currently have, that if you don't spend the money we (the Government) give you then your clawed back next year. All this does is encourage wasteful spending and bonuses to the management and dick all for the front line.

No sales tax, no fuel tax, no extra taxes at all. Learn to live within your means, or we will elect a government that will.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
If you spend it all this year good for you, if you don't good for you, unlike the stupid policy that we currently have, that if you don't spend the money we (the Government) give you then your clawed back next year. All this does is encourage wasteful spending and bonuses to the management and dick all for the front line.

No sales tax, no fuel tax, no extra taxes at all. Learn to live within your means, or we will elect a government that will.
Flat tax on incomes . No GST, Gotta like this idea !.. Just leave Tax on Senior's Pensions out of it all together. Which Party do I vote for ?
Old 11-24-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Agree, but then how will parties on both ends of the spectrum convince you to vote for them? Politics are broken. Swaying votes is meant to be based on ideas and direction for the country as well as innovation, not on dollars spent pandering. It is both ridiculous and sickening that any new targeted spending can be announced during an election year/cycle, as well as when government is running a deficit. Politicians don't need to do any real work to earn their near quarter million per year and pension. As long as votes can be bought and paid for, this problem persists. It starts in the education system and is indoctrinated from the time we leave our children at kindergarten.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I for one don't believe extra money will fix health care. I feel they could double the budget and in six months, I could walk into my local hospital emergency and be waiting the exact amount of time.

I’d say there is a staffing shortage. Seen it first hand.

The money could go to the back log of surgeries.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-24-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I’d say there is a staffing shortage. Seen it first hand.

The money could go to the back log of surgeries.
If true, and hospitals each received an additional funding for 30 new employees, how many nurses and doctors would they hire? 20 nurses, 3/4 doctors, 2 maintenance people with a few admin? Or would they hire more admin staff? Or would they give raises to existing admin and senior employees? Myself and others here don't seem to believe throwing money at the problem with no oversite to ensure it goes to the right place will fix anything. I'd like to believe it would, but unless there is reform to ensure tax dollars are spent wisely, it is lipstick on the pig. 2 steps forward, 3 back.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:23 PM

Start with tuition incentives to Albertans who qualify for med school. Tie it to X years of service. My first hand experience is over crowded hospitals because of a lack of family doctors. ER’s get full when it takes 3 weeks to see your family doctor, if you even have one. Admittance for ailments that people have let slide for too long because they have no one to see.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Not an angle I thought of, and good point. Agree. It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality. If we were actually functioning as a country should (supporting core industries/less regional nepotism) it wouldn’t be a problem. Not the world we live in though, and also not a bad idea. Something I think Danielle would run with.

Alberta & BC (outside the lower wasteland & van island) do share work/similar values though so it’s not cut & dry.

Last edited by I’d rather be outdoors; 11-24-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
If true, and hospitals each received an additional funding for 30 new employees, how many nurses and doctors would they hire? 20 nurses, 3/4 doctors, 2 maintenance people with a few admin? Or would they hire more admin staff? Or would they give raises to existing admin and senior employees? Myself and others here don't seem to believe throwing money at the problem with no oversite to ensure it goes to the right place will fix anything. I'd like to believe it would, but unless there is reform to ensure tax dollars are spent wisely, it is lipstick on the pig. 2 steps forward, 3 back.
Neither one of us are reading their books right now.

What I do know is I have friends waiting for surgery. Knee and hip transplants are long waits as are ankle surgeries.

Reverse ostomies can take a year. Huge quality of life issues for many. So will money fix that?
Old 11-24-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Make it illegal to run a deficit. Toronto is trying to squirm out of this right now and asking the rest of the country to pay for their wild spending issues.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:45 PM

We need a guy like Elon musk in charge of the province. Fired 75% of Twitter employees and no one knows the difference. I think you could get rid of half of Government workers including managers in Healthcare and education and no one will notice the difference. That goes for large private companies also. Do we need $500,000/year diversity managers, hell no.
Teachers and Nurses overwhelmingly vote NDP. Let’s give them real socialism where they make the same wage as the janitor. Heck you could find all kinds of people that can teach kindergarten to grade 6 for 50k a year do a better job then what we have now. 1 year teaching certificate is plenty, 5 years University for that is over kill.

Half of the private sector is there to navigate through all the red tape useless government workers make up.

Last edited by chasingtail; 11-24-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Reminds me of a Liberal menu at a fund raising event. Chicken today… feathers tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Agreed. It needs better management not more money.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
We need a guy like Elon musk in charge of the province. Fired 75% of Twitter employees and no one knows the difference. I think you could get rid of half of Government workers including managers in Healthcare and education and no one will notice the difference. That goes for large private companies also. Do we need $500,000/year diversity managers, hell no.
Teachers and Nurses overwhelmingly vote NDP. Let’s give them real socialism where they make the same wage as the janitor. Heck you could find all kinds of people that can teach kindergarten to grade 6 for 50k a year do a better job then what we have now. 1 year teaching certificate is plenty, 5 years University for that is over kill.

Half of the private sector is there to navigate through all the red tape useless government workers make up.
My school district ran out of subs today so let me know where to send the hiring link so all these people you speak of can get their fill at the trough.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:33 PM

No no!!
It’s the teachers to blame comrade!
They’re evil!

They’re for sure to blame for this policy!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."