Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Puss pocket in deer's face (VERY GRAPHIC)

Hey there folks, I recently shot a little buck and for the fun of it was starting to do a euro mount on it. When I shot it I noticed he had a bump on his cheek which I had thought was an injury from fighting or something of that nature. When I started skinning the head I got to the bump and did my incision, at least a 1/2 cup of greenish puss poured out of it (quite gross). I am now guessing he might of had an infection in his jaw but am not sure. Has anyone ever seen anything like this and if so is it something I should be concerned about.... considering the meat is processed and in the freezer.
Attached Images
File Type: png deer1.PNG (346.1 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg deer2.jpg (38.0 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg deer3.jpg (34.3 KB, 466 views)
Old 11-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2017 View Post
Hey there folks, I recently shot a little buck and for the fun of it was starting to do a euro mount on it. When I shot it I noticed he had a bump on his cheek which I had thought was an injury from fighting or something of that nature. When I started skinning the head I got to the bump and did my incision, at least a 1/2 cup of greenish puss poured out of it (quite gross). I am now guessing he might of had an infection in his jaw but am not sure. Has anyone ever seen anything like this and if so is it something I should be concerned about.... considering the meat is processed and in the freezer.
I would guess he got an antler there and it got infected. No comment on edibility.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would guess he got an antler there and it got infected. No comment on edibility.
I agree, I have also seen that from an infected bullet wound where the bullet was still lodged in the critter.
Cat
Old 11-23-2022, 01:03 PM

Localized infection pocket. The rest of the meat should be fine. Think of it as a zit, a pimple. You can also inspect his liver. If it is abnormal in size and color- which is very unlikely in your case- I would pass on eating this guy.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:34 PM

Whatever it is, I'm sure the poor guy was in a ton of pain.
I have often thought, especially after seeing these things just how much discomfort and serious pain a wild animal endures over its lifetime. Imagine a deer, moose, grizz or what have you breaks a tooth down to the nerve and has a serious toothache, like what, until they pass or are harvested like this guy was?

Didn't mean to derail, sorry about that.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Localized infection pocket. The rest of the meat should be fine. Think of it as a zit, a pimple. You can also inspect his liver. If it is abnormal in size and color- which is very unlikely in your case- I would pass on eating this guy.
This is what I was thinking.... as for the deer he had a nice size body (got 48lbs deboned meat) and a good amount of fat was present, liver looked normal. Was just putting it out there incase there was someone who might have had a negative experience with something similar.

As for the pain animals have to deal with it really makes a guy appreciate modern medicine and dentistry
Old 11-23-2022, 05:46 PM

I had something similar on a bull elk and a bull moose last year. Elk had a broken jaw that had partly healed but didn’t rejoin. The bone was about the size of a racquetball and all honeycombed inside. Must have hurt like hell to chew. The moose had a 6-8” long cavity of green puss in his shoulder where I think he got tined in the rut. Also must have been uncomfortable.

I checked with my butcher friend - he said cut it away and then go for it. Both ate great. Meat is generally pretty forgiving.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:59 PM

Shot a bull moose one time and he had a puncture wound on his one front leg. We guessed it was from fighting with another bull. It had green puss about the texture of tooth paste that would come out of the hole. Ended up having to throw that hole front quarter away. 3 quarters is better then no quarters.