Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2022, 11:34 PM

Default Mandatory Over time ....?

Sweet young friend of mine working for a big USA company says that her co workers and her self have no choice other than to work 12 hours every day as monthly paid employees, according to the company are not entitled to receive over time pay.....
Can this be so in our wonderful country..? thanks FS Friend is working in Calgary
Old 11-24-2022, 11:42 PM

So isn't per hour, but salary? Anyone I know who worked salary ended up getting screwed in some form...
Old 11-25-2022, 01:34 AM
Banned

If she earns a salary, then this is possible.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:42 AM

Depends what they base it on.
I know lots of salary people making overtime.
Is the salary based on 8 hr days? 10? 12?
Definitely something that should of been defined and understood before starting a job.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:31 AM

A few places are like that but they also get payed more per hr so it works out the same .
If its only for a month I would suck it up if you like working at this place, but if its long term at regular pay, its time to take some holiday time and look for a new job that pays OT .

Last edited by -JR-; 11-25-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Sweet young friend of mine working for a big USA company says that her co workers and her self have no choice other than to work 12 hours every day as monthly paid employees, according to the company are not entitled to receive over time pay.....
Can this be so in our wonderful country..? thanks FS Friend is working in Calgary
According to the Alberta Employment Standards: An employee’s work must be confined within a period of 12 consecutive hours per day and up to 6 days a week. In other words, an employee may not work more than 12 hours per day. This may help you understand the situation - https://www.alberta.ca/averaging-arrangements.aspx

Back to reality... If I'm employed for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and get paid an agreed amount for that time and the employer suddenly wants to pay me the same amount for 12 hours a day 5 days a week, then I would ask for a new contract. If I don't have a contract, just a verbal agreement, then a contract must be entered into for this new work change reflecting a new agreed upon wage. Always have a contract at your work place. Without one, she shouldn't work.

However, if I don't want to work 8 hour days for whatever reason, I'd quit with proper notice and start looking for a new job or work toward self employment.
Tell her not to complain about the change (in the workplace or to other employees) in the mean time and don't discuss your tactics with other employees. Build your exit strategy quietly and leave on good terms. It makes for a better resume for the future.

Always use your skills to gain self employment if at all possible.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
If its a "big USA company", one would assume they have a memorandum agreement that would clarify what a normal shift is for that employee and how any overages are paid out.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
have no choice other than to work 12 hours every day as monthly paid employees
Just curious as to whether you know, is it every day or every day worked? Big difference between 7 days a week or just 4 days.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:07 AM

See what Sharky said, do not discuss with other employees etc.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:21 AM

There is almost never enough info given to provide good advice on these threads.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
There is almost never enough info given to provide good advice on these threads.
Exactly my thoughts
Old 11-25-2022, 06:45 PM

Not much into to go on. From the Alberta Federation of Labour website:

You are entitled to overtime pay if you work more than 8 hours in a day or 44 hours in a week. Overtime pay must be at least 1.5 times your regular rate of pay for the overtime.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:11 PM

I worked a career for big oil which happened to be majority owned by US company, the largest of its type in the world. Generous salary, benefits, stock, pension, fat expense accounts, kid’s education paid etc. etc.

Nobody ever dictated working those kind of hours. You did it some times though when required. Work smart, get the job done, meet your objectives, stay out of trouble, go home to your family and they stick a bunch of cash in your account twice a month. Once you’re done working they continue to stick a bunch of cash in your account every month until you die.

Employers often want to test young employees to see if they have what it takes. If you do it can be very rewarding. If not you can always get an hourly paid job.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I worked a career for big oil which happened to be majority owned by US company, the largest of its type in the world. Generous salary, benefits, stock, pension, fat expense accounts, kid’s education paid etc. etc.

Nobody ever dictated working those kind of hours. You did it some times though when required. Work smart, get the job done, meet your objectives, stay out of trouble, go home to your family and they stick a bunch of cash in your account twice a month. Once you’re done working they continue to stick a bunch of cash in your account every month until you die.

Employers often want to test young employees to see if they have what it takes. If you do it can be very rewarding. If not you can always get an hourly paid job.
I'll echo this. I'm not oil, but I am salary. There are times when I work long days & long weeks & long months for the same sized cheque I get when times are easier. Been salary since I was 24, have appreciated most of it......or I would have changed. Take the good with the bad, save some cash, if you're at work you're not at the mall spending.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-25-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I'll echo this. I'm not oil, but I am salary. There are times when I work long days & long weeks & long months for the same sized cheque I get when times are easier. Been salary since I was 24, have appreciated most of it......or I would have changed. Take the good with the bad, save some cash, if you're at work you're not at the mall spending.
Agree with this, I have made a career in Grocery retail and now the office, my whole life on salary. For years up to a 60 hour work week was standard with zero overtime in my life. I look at where I am now in life and no regrets. Has always been a give and take and sitting on my 40 acres paid off, worth it
Old 11-25-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
Not much into to go on. From the Alberta Federation of Labour website:

You are entitled to overtime pay if you work more than 8 hours in a day or 44 hours in a week. Overtime pay must be at least 1.5 times your regular rate of pay for the overtime.
Unless you enter into an agreement….. yadi, yadi, yadi….

Our labour laws can be so circumvented with a mutually agreed upon agreement.

Try the legislation, not some unions website.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-25-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Is your friend working in the oil and gas industry? If so, tell them to suck it up. Its boom / bust and we just came out of a bust. Their performance and willingness to go the extra mile without whining will dictate their future. Those who soldier on without complaining usually get rewarded. As per your question about can this be so in our wonderful country? The answer is yes, just showing up for work and doing the minimum that is required of you is no path to success, but many think it should be that way.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Is your friend working in the oil and gas industry? If so, tell them to suck it up. Its boom / bust and we just came out of a bust. Their performance and willingness to go the extra mile without whining will dictate their future. Those who soldier on without complaining usually get rewarded. As per your question about can this be so in our wonderful country? The answer is yes, just showing up for work and doing the minimum that is required of you is no path to success, but many think it should be that way.
Thats great advice but the second word in the original post is the problem. Young people now want top level pay as a new hire, all while loving their job and giving minimal effort. If they don't get that, it won't be long until they are on to the next job. Remember this is the generation that got participation trophies!
Old 11-25-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Exactly!!!
Old 11-25-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
So isn't per hour, but salary? Anyone I know who worked salary ended up getting screwed in some form...
Agreed. My buddy Bob is a teacher. He was expected to put in oodles of extra hours marking - volunteering for school activities etc. never any extra pay or recognition for that matter. Just an expectation until a person finds the balls to say enough enough and go elsewhere - where it may be no better lol. Gotta love the workforce. The employer will fire you on the spot but expect you to give proper notice. They are always out for themselves and whatever benefits them. Sadly it Seems to be trend of the world these days.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes View Post
Agreed. My buddy Bob is a teacher. He was expected to put in oodles of extra hours marking - volunteering for school activities etc. never any extra pay or recognition for that matter. Just an expectation until a person finds the balls to say enough enough and go elsewhere - where it may be no better lol. Gotta love the workforce. The employer will fire you on the spot but expect you to give proper notice. They are always out for themselves and whatever benefits them. Sadly it Seems to be trend of the world these days.
Bob will put in lots of extra work that is expected along with his salary. This is true. Bob will also get a defined benefit pension that is indexed for inflation for the rest of his life if he chooses to see it through. Go Bob!

As per getting fired on the spot, I do not think that is possible. I figured this shop teacher was pushing the limit, but it seems to be not true.
https://nypost.com/2022/09/21/canadi...nt-fake-boobs/
Old 11-26-2022, 07:31 AM

Just a thought. Working for a USA company, are they getting paid in US dollars or Canadian funds? Wonder which one is better pay? They chose their path of work. Take the overtime with a grain of salt and lick your wounds (not with salt of course). I have a lot of friends that do work salary in all different fields of business.(some are US based). When required they put in the time (without complain) cause at certain times of the year, extra time is required to get their job done. No complaints by them. They are still doing the job for 20+ years (they are not a year or two into it). Good benefit packages along the way. Commitment goes a long with some jobs.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:01 AM

dont work on a farm if you dont like OT. during harvest some days were 17 to 19 hours long, but you dont get paid overtime . I think thats why so many large farms are starting to do packaging as well, outside a town, no overtime rates, in town, overtime rates.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 AM

Mandatory overtime is happening quite frequently with the nurses at Foothills hospital right now.

But they do get paid (extra) when it happens.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:08 AM

Nobody has ever held a gun to my head making me work where I choose to work. Just saying…

The Canadian company is worked for was bought out by an American company a number of years back. There is a major difference in labour laws between south and north of the border.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
dont work on a farm if you dont like OT. during harvest some days were 17 to 19 hours long, but you dont get paid overtime . I think thats why so many large farms are starting to do packaging as well, outside a town, no overtime rates, in town, overtime rates.
Zackly!!!! Do not work on a farm if you think there is overtime paid. Just ask a farmer at a certain time of year if he works 9 to 5?? NEVER!!!! That's one big job they help us with. To feed us. Try taking the youth of today and have em work the fields for a day let alone a week. Just saying
Old 11-26-2022, 08:41 AM

Haha is this a twitter employee? Twelve hours every day is absolutely ridiculous and is in no way sustainable. I hope this company likes mistakes and sub-par work as well. Even worse if this is some industrial job with some serious safety consequences. Believe it or not we aren't robots.

As for the rest I'm no employee lawyer but if you have some kind of contract hopefully it lays it out what is or is not acceptable. I know if my work tried something like this it would be essentially laying me off as I would not agree to it. Maybe they are essentially just laying off as much people as possible? If they are I would take the bait. Make sure your friend is getting what they are entitled to and just leave. There are many non s**t hole companies out there.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Haha is this a twitter employee? Twelve hours every day is absolutely ridiculous and is in no way sustainable. I hope this company likes mistakes and sub-par work as well. Even worse if this is some industrial job with some serious safety consequences. Believe it or not we aren't robots.

As for the rest I'm no employee lawyer but if you have some kind of contract hopefully it lays it out what is or is not acceptable. I know if my work tried something like this it would be essentially laying me off as I would not agree to it. Maybe they are essentially just laying off as much people as possible? If they are I would take the bait. Make sure your friend is getting what they are entitled to and just leave. There are many non s**t hole companies out there.
I suspect you have not worked in the oil patch.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:51 AM

Sounds like someone is working for AMAZON.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-26-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post

I’m the opposite of you. I’d rather work a 12 in a day as opposed to an 8.
A) money
B) 8 hrs and the day is shot anyway, my as well keep working some more at time and a half or double time.
Weekends off aren’t for me either.
Currently on a 20-10 rotation.
I can build a shed or go lay on a beach in Mexico for 10 days. Or go on some kick arse hunting and fishing trips.
Kinda nice having 12 -15 major holidays a year.