Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I suspect you have not worked in the oil patch.
Have worked both hourly and salary in the oilpatch.

Neither were less than 12 hrs/day some were 24 hrs/day lol

Salaried jobs you would typically get a extra per day or percentage of the ticket.

Pipelining usually 12 hrs or more/day till the job was done, freeze up to breakup.

Not sure if this still applies though, it was a year or two ago...
Old 11-26-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Or drove truck, logging, farming or a multitude of other trades, occupations and small businesses.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:05 AM

You don't like working salary and having to put in some extra time (as you might have to) then leave and find better. try working an hourly job where they say at least 4 hours a week is required OT. We that have the experience and have been there can give some good incite. It is here, just do your labor law research for your job. Many can attest to (so called missed OT) over the years. Guess who they stayed working for????For some reason for most it does work out in the end. DEDICATION, PERSEVERANCE and the smarts to stay infront of what your job management consists of.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Or drove truck, logging, farming or a multitude of other trades, occupations and small businesses.
Nice try there but swing and a miss. I'm a tradesmen. And I worked a compressed 12 hour shift schedule for 7 years. I have nothing against 12 hours shifts and I actually loved getting the hours in and going home for some time off. I've worked on projects that I was on site for over 12 hours if needed several times. I get it. Sometimes you have to get it done. I'm not against working hard. Also my main beef is not with the 12 hours. It is the 12 hours indefinitely. Even these oil patch warriors you guys speak of do get time off and it is reasonable to expect you will get time off.

Last edited by Dynamic; 11-26-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:37 AM

Don't really want to get into what each company requires of their employees. All are different and have certain expectations of the employees. Most will set out their expectations at the start but might need more and will explain that part as it arises. That might be your test at your interview. ROOKKIE
Listen to your parents, friends, and the ones going into your field of choice. The ones that have been there done dat. ASK EM What you TINK????
Old 11-27-2022, 09:33 PM

No banked time in lieu or anything?
Old 11-27-2022, 10:59 PM
Banned

Banked time is one of the top 10 biggest scams In labour. Who wants to give me their money to hold onto for 0% interest so I can give it to you in 10 months when you need it? PM me and I'll give you my Email.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Banked time is one of the top 10 biggest scams In labour. Who wants to give me their money to hold onto for 0% interest so I can give it to you in 10 months when you need it? PM me and I'll give you my Email.
Personally, I'd rather have time off instead of overtime, unless there's a big ticket item, or a trip I'm looking to purchase. I agree, they get the benefit of holding your dough, but I value time with the family, away from work more than the money. Depends on one's situation. In my younger years it was always about the money, now towards the end of my career, I'm all about time off! To each, their own.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I suspect you are right.
Spent most of my career on a day rate, no such thing as overtime. Same pay if you worked 18 hours days, and times where you worked 90-120 days straight. Good with the bad.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Haha is this a twitter employee? Twelve hours every day is absolutely ridiculous and is in no way sustainable. I hope this company likes mistakes and sub-par work as well. Even worse if this is some industrial job with some serious safety consequences. Believe it or not we aren't robots.

As for the rest I'm no employee lawyer but if you have some kind of contract hopefully it lays it out what is or is not acceptable. I know if my work tried something like this it would be essentially laying me off as I would not agree to it. Maybe they are essentially just laying off as much people as possible? If they are I would take the bait. Make sure your friend is getting what they are entitled to and just leave. There are many non s**t hole companies out there.
Lots of people work 12hrs or more a day myself included. This is extremely common for oil/gas, logging, mills, plants and mining ext. Often it’s rotational shift work as well. The often you benefit from this with extra days off(I only work 50% of the year) and decent pay compensation.

It’s actually very common and prefer the freedom I get with extra days off. Working 8hrs sure I get some extra time on work days but not enough to truly make use of it. It also means I need to book more days off when I choose to take holidays.

To each their own but 8hrs shifts 5 days a week really is not for everyone and comes with its own drawbacks
Old 11-28-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
When I banked my OT only the premium 0.5 was banked, for example worked a 16 hour day, 4 hours was overtime, if I elected to bank it I was paid 16 hours at straight time, and the 4 hours at 1/2 time was put into my OT bank, when I drew that 4 hours of BOT out it was paid at my card rate. So we gained the equivalent of 2 hours pay and more time off.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Really ? Exactly the same as holiday pay, held for when you choose to use it.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Lots of people work 12hrs or more a day myself included. This is extremely common for oil/gas, logging, mills, plants and mining ext. Often it’s rotational shift work as well. The often you benefit from this with extra days off(I only work 50% of the year) and decent pay compensation.

It’s actually very common and prefer the freedom I get with extra days off. Working 8hrs sure I get some extra time on work days but not enough to truly make use of it. It also means I need to book more days off when I choose to take holidays.

To each their own but 8hrs shifts 5 days a week really is not for everyone and comes with its own drawbacks
I agree with everything you said. I think most people are not getting what I am saying. Maybe I was not clear enough, if so my bad. I have worked probably a thousand 12 hours shifts over several years. I liked 12 hours shifts. I don't care about the 12 hours shifts. The 12 hour shifts INDEFINATLEY with no overtime is the part that I don't agree with and is not something that should be seen as reasonable.

The part that I perplexed about is people having this weird "oh just deal with it" attitude. If your expected to work longer hours you should be compensated fairly. I don't think anyone here would agree to having their pay cut. Why in the world would you be okay with working more hours with the same pay and not getting OT.

I'm salary and my salary is based on the expectation of a regular 40 hour week. I don't get overtime if I work late. I get it. I'll take the good with the bad. But if my boss asks me to work 12 hour days indefinitely I'm basically getting them to re-write my offer letter. And the new requirements better be reflected in my salary. At that point it would be up to me to leave or stay. Some people would just roll over it seems but that is when you get taken advantage of.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
I agree with everything you said. I think most people are not getting what I am saying. Maybe I was not clear enough, if so my bad. I have worked probably a thousand 12 hours shifts over several years. I liked 12 hours shifts. I don't care about the 12 hours shifts. The 12 hour shifts INDEFINATLEY with no overtime is the part that I don't agree with and is not something that should be seen as reasonable.

The part that I perplexed about is people having this weird "oh just deal with it" attitude. If your expected to work longer hours you should be compensated fairly. I don't think anyone here would agree to having their pay cut. Why in the world would you be okay with working more hours with the same pay and not getting OT.

I'm salary and my salary is based on the expectation of a regular 40 hour week. I don't get overtime if I work late. I get it. I'll take the good with the bad. But if my boss asks me to work 12 hour days indefinitely I'm basically getting them to re-write my offer letter. And the new requirements better be reflected in my salary. At that point it would be up to me to leave or stay. Some people would just roll over it seems but that is when you get taken advantage of.
I agree an employee should make sure they are fairly compensated for their time and skills. This is completely realistic and agreement should be mutually beneficial to both employer and employee.

Some do give too much. Nothing wrong with honest hard work but you still have to make sure your treated fair
Old 11-29-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sounds like someone is working for AMAZON.
that was my my first thought as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeau View Post
Just curious as to whether you know, is it every day or every day worked? Big difference between 7 days a week or just 4 days.
I think it is 6 days a week
Old 11-30-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
There is almost never enough info given to provide good advice on these threads.
what additonal information would you like
Old 11-30-2022, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
what additonal information would you like
Industry
Occupation
Responsibility and role
Is it federally regulated
Is it a critical piece of infrastructure
Work agreement