Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2022, 11:05 PM

Default When you buy a used car privately in BC… you pay PST when you register… based on book value

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nges-1.6663587

That’s crazy… double dipping PST. That’s a lot of money on top of purchase price.

You pay on book value… not actual purchase price.

So a question. If you move to BC with a car registered in Alberta… do you need to pay PST to register in BC?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-26-2022, 12:12 AM

Growing up in NB we had the same thing. You paid PST when u register a private purchase of a used vehicle, it was a combo of selling price and black book of your sales receipt looked too low.

I know 20 years ago I did some moving back and forth between BC and AB and ran into 2 issues.

If you have a leased vehicle and move to BC you start paying PST on monthly payments. And if you move to BC with a vehicle you purchased less than a few months ago they had some situations you’d have to pay PST in BC
Old 11-26-2022, 01:50 AM

Yup same as if you move from Alberta to Saskatchewan, when you register your vehicles in Saskatchewan you have to pay the PST on the book value of the vehicle, there is no getting around it if your going to register you vehicle in those provinces that have the PST plus a vehicle inspection report.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:51 AM

There was a different article that I can't find right now with the same fellow. That article brought up something even more insane. For tax purposes they use Canadian Black Book value but when he phoned ICBC to complain and asked what happens if it gets written off they confirmed they would use Edmunds Book value which is $3200 for that truck. That $2800 he paid is pretty close to $3200 ICBC would pay for it

My first thought is he should just go to insurance place, get the form that says it's worth $11000 and while he is inside paying the taxes have someone torch it. If he paid $2800, plus the $1400 in taxes that means he would be into it for $4200 but would have official tax receipts and insurance papers stating the truck is worth $11000 at that exact moment. Boom, $7000 profit.*

**This is not legal advice. Do not try that.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:01 AM

Government charging PST on used vehicles sold privately is truly one of the most greedy policies out there—what else do you have to pay a sales tax on for a used item sold privately between individuals? It’s bizarre. God bless Alberta.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup same as if you move from Alberta to Saskatchewan, when you register your vehicles in Saskatchewan you have to pay the PST on the book value of the vehicle, there is no getting around it if your going to register you vehicle in those provinces that have the PST plus a vehicle inspection report.
This is wrong. In both BC and Saskatchewan you are allowed to bring your personal vehicle in with exemption. There are some stipulations that define the status of a vehicle.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:11 AM

I brought a car from alberta to BC and i got dinged for pst.

You have to own it in alberta for a minimum of 6 months if you dont want to get dinged.

The sad part is the car I brought over to BC was owned by me for years, but i signed it over to my wife. Learned the hard way and they didn't make any exceptions. my wife teared up inside the icbc resellers office.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-26-2022, 09:11 AM

Wait til the luxury vehicle tax kicks in...
Old 11-26-2022, 09:49 AM

I bought a truck for $32000 SGI in Sask valued the truck at 34,500 I had to pay PST on their book value now that sucks
Old 11-26-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I brought a car from alberta to BC and i got dinged for pst.

You have to own it in alberta for a minimum of 6 months if you dont want to get dinged.

The sad part is the car I brought over to BC was owned by me for years, but i signed it over to my wife. Learned the hard way and they didn't make any exceptions. my wife teared up inside the icbc resellers office.
I had a similar situation. My truck was registered under the wife’s business. When I brought it in they said I’d have to transfer and pay the tax. I said not today. Went home and wrote a sales agreement back dated. When I went back to register, they knew what was up, but allowed based on the bill of sale.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:19 AM

Easy, don't move to bc.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Easy, don't move to bc.
Hit the nail on the head!! Im in b.c now and hate it with a passion. Cannot wait to move back home to beautiful Berta!!. In the spring.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:29 AM

Here the Sask party collects pst every time a vehicle is sold unless it’s under 5 grand. Literally every time, at book value. They could quadruple dip or more even depending on how many times it’s sold.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Here the Sask party collects pst every time a vehicle is sold unless it’s under 5 grand. Literally every time, at book value. They could quadruple dip or more even depending on how many times it’s sold.
BC does the same but for all vehicles
Old 11-26-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
That was changed to $3K when they started charging PST on insurance premiums
Old 11-26-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
That was changed to $3K when they started charging PST on insurance premiums
Thanks. Even worse taxation from them. Strangely they get a free pass because they’re not NDP. Partisanship………………..
Old 11-26-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

That’s crazy… double dipping PST. That’s a lot of money on top of purchase price.

So a question. If you move to BC with a car registered in Alberta… do you need to pay PST to register in BC?
It's even worse on boats if I remember correctly its 12% PST on used private sales. Yeah vote NDP it'll fix everything lol 😂
Old 11-26-2022, 06:24 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Note that in BC and other provinces (as mentioned in the article linked above ) you can Contest the book value,
by hiring an auto appraiser to evaluate the value of your vehicle. And yes, you have to pay the appraiser's fee.

Also noted in the article ... The reason BC (and most other provinces) went to this new method, was because
so many people were Lying about what they paid for their privately purchased vehicles, to reduce the amount
of taxes they had to pay (a.k.a. A form of Tax Evasion).

As for those here who have posted false/inaccurate/misleading information in this thread (intentional or not),
see my sig below .

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 11-26-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:25 PM

Same as onterrible..

I when bought my first car at 17 years in ont, I went to register it not knowing they would charge me tax.. I knew what the registration fee was, so when the lady behind the desk told my I owed hundreds more then the fee I told her "no, registration is just xx dollars".. she told me "you need to pay tax on the vehcile".. my response was "its not new.".. She said "yes but when you buy a used vehicle, you still need to pay tax on it".. I still couldn't understand it and told her "what??? The tax on the vehicle was paid for when the person bought it from the dealership. There can't be tax on buying it used. That would be like me having to pay tax if I bought a used bike"... I really had no idea up until this point I'd have to pay tax on the vehicle.. And while it was being explained to me I was trying to reason out at the DMV how it was possible or logical.. and I couldn't.

All just a tax grab
Old 11-28-2022, 07:38 AM

Just learned something yesterday ,property tax in Vancouver is a lot cheaper than Edmonton , like almost 70% cheaper .
Old 11-28-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Note that in BC and other provinces (as mentioned in the article linked above ) you can Contest the book value,
by hiring an auto appraiser to evaluate the value of your vehicle. And yes, you have to pay the appraiser's fee.

Also noted in the article ... The reason BC (and most other provinces) went to this new method, was because
so many people were Lying about what they paid for their privately purchased vehicles, to reduce the amount
of taxes they had to pay (a.k.a. A form of Tax Evasion).

As for those here who have posted false/inaccurate/misleading information in this thread (intentional or not),
see my sig below .

Selkirk
Yup everyone lied about what they paid because no one agreed with BC collecting tax multiple times on the same vehicle. I know BC also got rid of the gift transfer that also avoided the buyer being taxed

It’s really just a money grab taxing used vehicles no matter what province does it. BC just gets on the radar easier because it’s overpriced reputation
Old 11-28-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Just learned something yesterday ,property tax in Vancouver is a lot cheaper than Edmonton , like almost 70% cheaper .
Never paid property tax in Edmonton or Vancouver but I did pay property tax in Abbotsford which was way higher than I paid in Alberta. It was also brutal in Northern BC

You have me curious and may have to talk to a few people to see if there experience is matching your statement
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Completely incorrect.

I moved from AB to SK and definitely did not pay tax on the multiple vehicles I owned and brought with me.

Out of province inspection is required like every other province.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Never paid property tax in Edmonton or Vancouver but I did pay property tax in Abbotsford which was way higher than I paid in Alberta. It was also brutal in Northern BC

You have me curious and may have to talk to a few people to see if there experience is matching your statement
He's correct. Property taxes have been cheaper for my BC properties than those I've had in Calgary.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Density.

Vancouver proper has 5700 people per km^2. Edmonton proper has 1300 people per km^2. Vancouver is over 4x more dense and thus can collect a much greater amount of tax dollars per square km of land they have to service. Plus the land the land being so much more valuable in Vancouver, so a 1.5% property tax on an average square city block intakes FAR greater revenue than a 1.5% tax on an average square city block in Edmonton, so they can have far cheaper property taxes.

Edmonton is being slowly crippled financially by sprawl. Don’t be surprised if your property taxes continue to shoot upward. This is why the new zoning is important, they are desperately trying to improve inner city density to ease the tax burden for everyone.

(ps I compared proper regions and not metro regions—it’s a way uglier comparison between metro areas—the VMA is over 6x more densely populated than the EMA)
Old 11-28-2022, 02:32 PM
Banned

Arrow

It is the NDP.
It is what they do.
Vote accordingly Alberta!!!