Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2022, 06:38 PM

Default Deer hoist system in garage question

I have a finished garage attached to my house and wondering if a single 3/8 eye screw be good enough to hang a deer on just gambrel? The trusses are 2x6.
Would it be worth putting glue on the threads when screwing it in?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyRendy View Post
I have a finished garage attached to my house and wondering if a single 3/8 eye screw be good enough to hang a deer on just gambrel? The trusses are 2x6.

Thanks
I have seen tbem hung by one hook, but i use two with a cross bar and hang my gambrel from there.
Cat
Old 11-27-2022, 07:34 PM

Glue will do nothing,be sure to be in the center.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have seen tbem hung by one hook, but i use two with a cross bar and hang my gambrel from there.
Cat
Just a solid steel cross bar in the eye of the hooks? What size? 1/2" and how far apart the eye screws?
Old 11-27-2022, 08:01 PM

This is what I put in my garage. I glued two pieces of 3/4" plywood together, 20" square. Drilled through it, and installed a 1/2" eye hook, backed by a couple of heavy fender washers that were counter sunk into the plywood. The washers, nut, and eyehook were flush with back of plywood. Then, I glued the whole works to the ceiling, and sank a dozen (actually 14) #10 x 3" screws into the beam and joists. The eye hook is centered over the beam, but the entire unit helps to distribute the weight.

Hopefully that makes sense with the picture. Anyway, I have hoisted a dozen deer, a cow elk, and small bull moose from that with my gambrel. It's good for 600+ lbs. Glue and screws are your friend.

I've got a 1 ton chain hoist from Princess Auto that I use for heavier game, works great.

capital one allpoint

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-27-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:09 PM

What I did is mount a full length of slotted unistrut to my 5 of my roof trusses. I used 1/4” x 3” lag bolts with washers to secure the strut to the trusses right through the drywall below. I then hang a 3/8” eyebolt from the unistrut using a strut nut with a 3/8” female thread in the center. Never did any calculations but I’m sure this is rated for more than the 600lbs my gambrel is rated for.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
What I did is mount a full length of slotted unistrut to my 5 of my roof trusses. I used 1/4” x 3” lag bolts with washers to secure the strut to the trusses right through the drywall below. I then hang a 3/8” eyebolt from the unistrut using a strut nut with a 3/8” female thread in the center. Never did any calculations but I’m sure this is rated for more than the 600lbs my gambrel is rated for.
That sounds like a really good system too!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Just a solid steel cross bar in the eye of the hooks? What size? 1/2" and how far apart the eye screws?
It's actually a sledge hammer handle, and the hook are hooks for hanging tools.
Cat
Old 11-28-2022, 03:35 PM

I used a couple of 12" by 2" across 4 of the cross pieces in the attic of the garage. I then put a heavy eye bolt through the drywall, insulation and the plank attached with big washers and two locking nuts. Then put a heavy duty loop in the floor with concrete anchors in the floor.
This is for the other end of the cable on the come along.

If I was doing it again I would put the floor anchor closer to the wall.
This would reduce the noise as she would not be complaining about tripping over it.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Thats all I use. I have a 12x20 shed. I built the trusses myself with reclaimed 2x4 from a windblown down building. Last year I had 2 deer hanging from same truss with 3/8 eyelet
Old 11-28-2022, 06:04 PM

I had the contractors put beams across the trusses
And then bolts down through the ceiling so I could in stall two
Electric winches , use these to raise up deer, moose, elk,
Also lifts quad , lawn mower
Lifted my 16 ft boat with 75 hp outboard motor to redo the fibreglass bottom
At one time it worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0728C81D-7C06-416C-A152-AAF9CCB7293C.jpg (17.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 11-28-2022, 07:35 PM

Default Simple setup that works

Need a 3/8 t nut, 2 inch hex bolt, climbing bolt anchor, 2x6 long enough to span a few joists and a handful of structural screws. Paint of you want it to look officially part of the garage. I hang a gambrel with block and tackle right to it. Back the truck in with the critter and up it goes over a Rubbermaid bin lid to keep the blood off the floor. I'm not a certified engineer but it hold the animals off the ground.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:09 AM

I have a system built right into the truss system. It was built when I started building the garage.
Strapped 2 2x10x16ft boards together with lag bolts. ran the beam through the truss system, and then bolted them to the trusses. Added A-frame supports to the bottom of the beam at all the truss joints all the way down the line.
Then attached my winch (Princess auto 660/1300lbs winch) to the beam using steel plates and 5/8" ready rod.
I have a 6'x2' trap door with hinged lid that I open and close when needed while hanging something. The trap door stays open basically all hunting season long and allows more than enough cold air from the ceiling to keep my garage at 5 degrees or less all season.

I've had up to 600 lbs on the winch at one time. And it has not moved, sagged or creaked. Though I am very conscious of how much I actually put on the winch for expended periods of time, due to the fact that it is supported by the trusses. An engineer would probably $h!t a brick if they saw it, but it works and has never given me issues. I've had many a hunter walk in and start drooling over the set up.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:09 AM

The 110V winch was a game changer for me as well, highly recommend! You can get cheap ones on Vevor or Amazon, I have the 440 lbs, plenty strong.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Trusses are an engineered system to deal with the largest historical snow fall, nothing more. Start hanging stuff from them and you're in an undiscovered country.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-30-2022, 11:23 AM

How far apart are your truss and is the ceiling finished or open? If it’s open I’d put a 4x4 to span a truss on each side and then drill a hole through the 4x4 and use an eye bolt with large washer on top and bottom as an anchor point.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:29 AM

If you are worried about the trusses put a 4x4 beside your eyelet about two feet on each side of it from the floor to the roof. Trusses are not ment for that kind of load.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Trusses are an engineered system to deal with the largest historical snow fall, nothing more. Start hanging stuff from them and you're in an undiscovered country.

Grizz
This was my concern as well- so I built up something a bit different, although I would prefer to hang my game from the ceiling.

I took a 4x4 and bolted it upright to the wall, with 2" holes bored at various heights. I stick a piece of pipe in there and run it to a heavy-duty ladder to support the other side.

The end of the pipe has a small hole drilled through it, so it can be pinned to the 4x4 with a nail that drops in diagonally through the 4x4 at each hole. This keeps the pipe from popping out of the hole.

It is a bit clunky but it's enough for me for now... A deer or two, a couple of quarters, etc. I don't hang long so it's really mainly for butchering and draining.

I'm hoping to move in a few years so I'm reluctant to invest a lot of energy in a more spiffy system at this point.