Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM

Default Wolf Poisoning

Has anyone heard anything about Wolf poisoning in west central Alberta. We have been out lots in Whitecourt, Grande Cache, Hinton, and Edson area and the sign of anything that would eat meat is down big time. We have also seen baits that were obviously dropped by helicopter.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM

That’s good to hear. I thought the NDP cut the budget on that.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Wolf poisoning in west central Alberta. We have been out lots in Whitecourt, Grande Cache, Hinton, and Edson area and the sign of anything that would eat meat is down big time. We have also seen baits that were obviously dropped by helicopter.
If that's the case, all I can say is .. It's about time !
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM

I sure hope thats true
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Great if it's only Wolves but what about the dozens of other animals....
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
small price to pay to save thousands of ungulates and preserve wildlife and hunting areas.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 AM

I hope they are. It would be about 15 years to late but like they say, better late then pregnant.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Most of them would have ended up in wolf turds anyway, and there is no shortage of birds.

History and biology have taught us that the only truly effective way to deal with excess wolves is poison. They can out-breed any hunting and most trapping efforts. Though hunting and trapping does help, there needs to be more done to eleminate the wolf infestation.

Also you are full of crap, or trolling, or an anti-hunter. There is no shortage of wolf sign around Edson.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM

I agree that this should not be a topic of discussion on a open forum.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Lol

You seen alot of wolves eating Chickadees, ravens and bears have ya?
Dont you know you just have to kill all the moose and the wolves leave!
Poison should have died out with the band in my opinion.

QUOTE=3blade;3907980]Most of them would have ended up in wolf turds anyway, and there is no shortage of birds.

History and biology have taught us that the only truly effective way to deal with excess wolves is poison. They can out-breed any hunting and most trapping efforts. Though hunting and trapping does help, there needs to be more done to eleminate the wolf infestation.

Also you are full of crap, or trolling, or an anti-hunter. There is no shortage of wolf sign around Edson.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's like using a broom to do what a Q tip should do. Some unexpected side effects like to make an appearance with wide environmental effects. Not a good idea in my mind.
Grizz
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM

I don’t believe it’s happening anywhere outside of the caribou areas but I hope it is. After seeing the video evidence of one gbear killing 44 caribou and moose calves in 25 days, and witnessing ravens pull the guts out of my lambs and knock eyes out of my calves, I hope they get a few of them too. They should be able to drop the poison in open areas to avoid killing the marten, fishers and wolverines.

One of my buddies showed me a video he took from a chopper of four wolves killing a cow and calf moose north of Ft St. John just before Christmas. The cow was likely bred, so that’s three moose out of the ecosystem in 30 minutes. Imagine how many moose calves it takes to keep a pack of ten or fifteen wolves going.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
The sign of anything eating meat is down maybe because of mice. There seems to be thousands of mice. While walking hundreds of miles hunting and hiking and travelling miles on a horse, I am seeing unusually large numbers of mice. I'm also not seeing any deer kills by coyotes.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Much needed. Populations are out of control.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatn View Post
Much needed. Populations are out of control.
Yes .. let the poison , drop forever helli , trapper and hunter . Not much here from the tree hugger. hhmmmm , wonder why .
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Death by poison, its no crueler than the way they die naturally. Do people think when wolves and other animals are sick, starving, infested by parasites or disease, freezing or simply to old to live any longer that they spend their final days, months or years in a nice warm bed, are issued pain killers and sedatives, spoon fed, surrounded and comforted by loving caring families?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

If there's 8000 woofs in Alberta. lets' take that number to about 20 . all agree and maybe keep some In
zoo's
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Death by poison, its no crueler than the way they die naturally.

You think!

Have you ever heard of a natural death resulting in broken bones?
It's common in a strychnine death. This poison causes convulsions so violent that leg bones are commonly broken by the convulsion alone.

My dad told me he saw one wolf do a back flip six feet into the air when the poison kicked in. It was the last time dad ever used the stuff.

He knew strychnine caused a violent death but he'd never actually seen it happen until that day. Once was enough for him and dad was not a sensitive man. He was old school tough. I've seen him pick live coals off the floor and toss them back into the heater.
The man didn't even tear up when his favorite son died of exposure. At least not that he ever let anyone see.
He even cut off one of his own fingers once. It was pretty much done for anyway so he finished the job and went on with his day like it was the most normal thing to do.

But seeing one wolf die from that poison cured him of ever using it again. And he hated wolves.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You think!

Have you ever heard of a natural death resulting in broken bones?
It's common in a strychnine death. This poison causes convulsions so violent that leg bones are commonly broken by the convulsion alone.

Wolves will rip their own apart. Wolves break legs, backs, other bones quite naturally causing long drawn out painful deaths. We rarely witness this but it happens all the time. That and many other long and painful deaths from disease, parasites, starvation, etc, is how most animals die in a natural world. Instant and painless death rarely happens in nature. It is just that we rarely witness it but natural death of most animals is not a pretty thing. Death by strychnine isn't pretty either but in reality isn't always worse than a 'natural' death. It is usually a relatively fast death within a few hours or days. We seem to support trapping and shooting them yet many are wounded by this and suffer long drawn out terrible deaths. I just don't like the collateral damage done to other non targeted animals and birds. None of this is pretty and it would be nice to have something that we could use that would simply make them drowsy and go to a painless sleep that they don't wake up from.

Thing is wolf populations need to be managed, we have to accept that there isn't any emotionally correct and painless way to do it. I wish there was.
Closed Thread