Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Congrats on a great hunt
Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Yup....was that you driven Redstone's horses at 208?

We wound up staying at Caribou Pass and then we go in from there. Got our moose just over 20km in from there.
No, but I have been there several times. Recognized your admiration of the Canol Road. You are hunting in Stan's area. Is the old barn still standing at 208? I trailed horses into camp one year, about 50 miles. Also trailed horses into the Snake River area, in 1979, about 200 miles north.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Not only is it standing....they still use it!!

Craig and I were coming down that crappy hill and bumped into a 31 head pack train going into 208. Turned out we were in a pretty good spot to help em' make the turn

Had a quick chat with the boyz from Redstone....one of the damndest things I ever seen up there. They make a lot of noise with the bells on. Didn't expect to see that at all.

The fence is now a bunch of 70 year old 45gal drums bit it does the trick. It's one of the spots that a guy can still hang is hat for a week or two a year if he's lucky. Rent is cheap!!!

You got my admiration for workin' in there like that

I've done eight chopper hunts outta the Wells for sheep only. We started "the drive" three years ago now. Pretty sure we're gonna go in earlier next year for sheep only....then come back in late Sept for moose and bou. Two 60+ hour drives to look forward to......I just can't get enough of that place!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 10-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Sounds liike a cool trip

As soon as you mentioned Ross River I thought about Redstone for although we flew into Hayhook the first year and then Dal Lake the second year I had heard they trailed the horses in after going through Ross. Also heard it got really interesting trailing horses across some rivers during high water. Great moose but my favorite country!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM

I heard Gana River came in there as well but I didn't see them.

With the bridge work in the Yukon they were parked back at Wheelbarrow Creek.....something like that anyway. It is way back into the Yukon. An extra day or 3 for those boyz!!

I always get a kick outta crossing the McMillan 6 times and the signs in the NWT that tell you to stay off the bridges and drive thru the rivers

We kinda got lucky this year. It rained on the fresh snow pack and filled up the river at the ranger station pretty high. First time we ever parked on the West side.....don't think we'd of made it without incident with the trucks. Would have made for some good video tho!!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM

You really know how to make a grown man cry. 5 years in a row I went there with the boys and now it's been 5 years since my last trip in.

Nothing gets in your blood like the Canol, I mean nothing. Those gigantic valleys just seething with moose and every other creature that is truly wild. I've seen lots of grizz, wolves, and wolverines in that country. I look at those pictures and it's like someone slapping me in the face trying to get me to wake up from a bad dream.

Congrat's TM, but I'm not sure yet if I'm glad you shared the pics ....kidding
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Not only is it standing....they still use it!!

Craig and I were coming down that crappy hill and bumped into a 31 head pack train going into 208. Turned out we were in a pretty good spot to help em' make the turn

Had a quick chat with the boyz from Redstone....one of the damndest things I ever seen up there. They make a lot of noise with the bells on. Didn't expect to see that at all.

The fence is now a bunch of 70 year old 45gal drums bit it does the trick. It's one of the spots that a guy can still hang is hat for a week or two a year if he's lucky. Rent is cheap!!!

You got my admiration for workin' in there like that

I've done eight chopper hunts outta the Wells for sheep only. We started "the drive" three years ago now. Pretty sure we're gonna go in earlier next year for sheep only....then come back in late Sept for moose and bou. Two 60+ hour drives to look forward to......I just can't get enough of that place!!!!!!!!!!!
My son, Big Chevy, was there last year and went on a Dall sheep and caribou hunt.He was there 33 years after my first trip. I would like to congratulate you on an awesome trip and continued success on future hunts!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 PM

thanks for posting TM, looks like fun
got a pic of the kicker on the right paddle?

Sheep & Grizz are off the menu in YK for the host program right?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 PM

The Gana boys will come down from the north (Twitya/Caribou Cry rivers) with the pony's. I think them and Redstone are the only ones with horses now. I agree with bisonhunter, those pictures bring back a lot of great memories. The pic of you glassing form the Argo is very close to where a mud slide came down the mtn. during a big storm one year. We didn't know what the hell was coming with all the noise. This was one of those times that you put your life in the hooves of your horse. How is the resident pressure up there now? In 07 I did a hunt for Ramhead. The CO's at 222 told me that there had been 40+ moose taken out in 06. Man did it ever show during that 07 hunt, but it made my hunters bull that much sweeter. For those that don't know it isn't just the NWT residents as the Yukon First Nations also heads in there. Not a 100% sure but I think they bought Sam Millers place....?? Congrats TM as you were in heaven.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 PM

I'll get up there on day, Pal!
Crap, no one can accuse you guys of shootin' dinker racks, that's for sure!!
Cat
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Banned

Tundra was that you guys that rolled a gooseneck trailer on the Robert Cambell a few years back? With a camper and quads and stuff on it?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Bisonhunter....ya gotta go back dude....it's calling you!!

BPH....we have no hunter host program in the NWT at all. It sux
I'll get you a pic of the kicker...it is

Nof60...Not us. We did lose the cotter pin off our trailer after a night in Ross River. We lost the hitch pin about 100k back towards Watson. That was not cool. I found the hitch pin about a mile back on the road....pure luck. Thank God the chains held.....but the bumper sure didn't like the bounce and I almost crapped myself. Needless to say....we don't stay in Ross River anymore.

Ovis40....When we went in there were four groups of NWT residents (13pple total). Most of the other locals go in earlier but have a tough time with moose as they hunt the road almost exclusively. Mostly only caribou coming out if you head in early.

The Yukon First Nation holds pretty big hunts in there although they focus mainly on caribou. Usually a couple families go in first and then they swap out a couple times. First year we were there I went over and had tea with them on our way in. Great group of people that year. Showed me the whole operation. I was pretty impressed with how they used pretty much everything. With 5 groups of shooters the kids and ladies were busy back in camp for sure. They stay pretty concentrated on the calving grounds around the lodge and Three Sisters. They take a few moose but the caribou would be in the hundreds.

I was not welcome back for tea the second year.....they were not the same group from the year before. They made that clear.

This year they we're pulling out as we rolled in. I didn't get to talk to them but I got 1 wave and 2 fingers from the 3 vehicles that pulled out past us

You have a good memory. I think I know the exact place you are talking about with the slide. Just up the valley (Southeast side) from where that pic is taken there is a huge mudded area and what you are saying makes total sense. The moose and caribou love it.....thick with tracks and wallows. Must have some good minerals in it. Probably scary as all heck hearing that come down

The Old Squaw Lodge still operates but it's under a different name. Not sure who is running it tho. It's named Delchetna or something like that. Mountain Bikes and hiking I think. They have been doing some work to their cabins in there as of late.

Cowboyhunter....congrats to your son and I enjoyed chatting with you

Thank you everyone for the kind words throughout this thread. I haven't posted pics for awhile due to some comments I'd gotten about heli hunts in the past....but screw those people. I'm back
Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra Monkey;2142168]

BPH....we have no hunter host program in the NWT at all. It sux
I'll get you a pic of the kicker...it is

I was asking about the Yukon,(just wounding if you knew)
I know the NWT doesn't like to share,

And a kicker off the back of a paddle would be very kool
how do you plain to show it off? Ive never seen a moose mount with its head turned, it would take up a lot of room...

the smile on your face says it all
congrats again
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Ive never seen a moose mount with its head turned, it would take up a lot of room...the smile on your face says it all congrats again
It's gonna be a cool mount for sure. My taxidermist has a great plan for it. It will definately be a head turner with a turned head. I'll post pics of it when it's done

I think you can hunt grizz on the special guide licence in the Yukon. Bison, sheep, elk and goat are on the no touch list tho.

Moose/bou/grizz make a great combination!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the kind words throughout this thread. I haven't posted pics for awhile due to some comments I'd gotten about heli hunts in the past....but screw those people. I'm back
You got that right bro.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, brings back lots of memories. I worked with ovis40 up there back in the early 90's. Trailed horses right past those places in your pictures. Great pictures, and congrats on the hunt.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM

I just love big moose eating dirt! Way to go? Where do I sign up?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 AM

Awesome thread. Congrats to you and your friends.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

Not sure how I missed this thread awesome trip congrats on a great hunt.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Holy, don't know how missed this thread.... Congrats gentlemen, heck of an adventure, with some great trophies.... Looks like a great time, in beautiful country. One of these days I'll make it up there..... I always enjoy your huts.... Congrats again.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Unreal!! Sure hope me and the old man get to make our way up there one of these days!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM

looks like fun. Congrats on some nice critters
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Congrats, that's one gorgeous place!! terrific moose and awesome hunt, thanks for sharing the pics and stories!!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Awesome stories and pics!! I thought I put in a lot of windshield time but that takes the cake!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Good story, I've just moved to Yellow knife myself and have to wait till 2015 before I'm allowed to hunt here, two years to be a resident. The Canol has always been an area I've wanted to visit, now I want to hunt it to
Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Congrats on a amazing trip! always curious.. what calibers did you guys use?